Hacking Patches to convert PAL 50hz games into PAL 60hz (Nintendont Compatible)

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
just something I'd like to say, in nintendont I did fairly recently add a PAL60 patch for luigis mansion that gets applied once you force progressive or any other 60hz mode, I did the same to several other games (mario party 4-7 and doshin the giant) and you dont have to press anything like that, at some point I may add more patches to nintendont directly as well as I do see the interest in patches like that.
Hi FIX94,
did you end up adding more 60Hz patches?
There is a list for reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GameCube_games_with_alternate_display_modes

KRFP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
How did you guys patch these games so easily, when it seemed like such a Herculean effort for developers to properly convert games back then?

Do these run exactly like the NTSC versions?

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The games just run at the speed at which they were created to run, except Skies of Arcadia, that had its cutscenes edited for the sound to be in sync with the slower action, so when forced to PAL 60 / NTSC speeds, they're out of sync (that patch was made mostly for people with spanish/italian/french/german languages, as I recommend playing the american for the english version). I wouldn't share these if they didn't play at the speed they should (as it would defeat the purpose to begin with). Although, of course, you really don't lose anything to try for yourself.

The only game i haven't tried in NTSC is The Twin Snakes, so I can't compare the performance, but theorically shouldn't be different. Well, and Doshin, because there's no american release... But I played from beginning to end with the patch, and was 60 frames.

For your first question... I truly don't know. For one part, support PAL 60 as a format on european TVs wasn't extended enough for many developers to care, and I imagine making a quick format selector was a waste of time for them. Hell, maybe there are other games besides Luigi's Mansion that have HIDDEN format selectors that didn't want to implement on the final version (now that's quite evil!).

That little care they had for future-proofing the PAL versions probably is why we have so many damn PS2 games with only PAL 50 (A Pal 60 support list is saddening to look at). Very disappointing if you ask me, that even first party companies like Nintendo would give us PAL 50 versions, I'm still baffled about Mario Party 4 to 7 being only 50hz.

That said, certainly there are quite a few european games that seem to have problems to convert from 50hz back to 60hz on GC so the conversion sometimes was a very simple "switch", while others were much more involving processes.

At the very least, GC Pal versions were faaar better compared to many PS1 pal conversions. God, that was frightening...

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: KRFP and modbrain

KRFP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I have no idea what you guys did to restore PAL50 games to their original speed, but I'll take your word for it.

Luigi's Mansion was actually the game that led me to this thread, since I'm trying to decide whether to buy the NTSC version for 480p/60 Hz or the PAL version for the added content. You think they disabled 60 Hz support for that game rather than being too lazy to add it though? That's interesting.

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
As I said, please, try the patches, it's the best proof I can offer to you. I played through Luigi's Mansion PAL Patched, everything went great. I even forced it to Progressive Scan trhough Nintendont, if I remember right, so I got the entire package of correct speed + best image picture + PAL extra content, playing on my PAL Wii.

The thing with Luigi's mansion, that you can see with the patch, is that instead of switching the format at which the game boots itself, like the majority of the other patches, is that it starts at 50hz, like the normal game, but in the Title screen the game asks you if you want to play in the better format.

Nintendo programmed it, but then it went unusued. You can even figure it wasn't entirely finished, seeing how it shows up in the Title screen in a sorta weird way. The function of it is on point, but the presentation of that option feels like in a beta version, because probably they threw away the idea of giving the option.

After years upon years of playing that game, discovering that was shocking. "It was there all along, what the *$#&!" was my exact quote.

If for some reason you're also interested in NTSC conversions of PAL SNES games, I saw on Romhacking.net that one fellow hacker actually got to convert quite a few games too, some important, like Act Raiser that had some differences on the european release. You'll also find a NTSC patch for Terranigma, which is the best way to play the game too.

Reactions: KRFP

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can always try it by other methods before buying to make sure!

And glad to help, these games playing at the correct speed were a dream of mine back in the day, and I'm sure that other people wanted them too.

Vogeluff

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@MaeseJesus thanks for all the patches! Are there any other or is there a chance you might do more? I actually care more for the 480p compatibility which your patches also enabled for me with nintendont. without your patches the 480p pal forcing wouldn work.
the only PAL games I want to play but which wouldnt work with normally forcing 480p mode are: Animal Crossing, a couple resident evil games (re 1, veronica x, re 2), super mario sunshine, star fox assault, viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. the added benefit of 60hz is also super cool but not that much needed. I just hate how my tv handles interlaced signals. I have to live with the ntsc versions for now i guess which works but isn't making me happy. again: thanks for the work! really made me enjoy the mario party games so much more :)!

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm sorry, but I don't have the time lately to do any more, but who knows in the future. I tried the Resident Evil games and I got nowhere, and Animal Crossing was kinda funky when I tried to force it to pal 60. Also, if I remember right, the NES games included are separated from the rest of the game, so if you force the game to 60hz, those would be at 50hz still.

Super Mario Sunshine, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 have already PAL 60 support, so I can't do much to be compatible with Nintendont and 480P.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 being able to be forced to 480P. They will start at 576i 50hz format, but once you choose to play in 60hz (right after booting the game), they will be 480P instead of 480i. In fact I went to try it after reading your message and, at least my tv recognizes the image as 480P (if it was interlaced, it would say "480i"). Fantastic (and cheesy awesome) games, by the way.

I remember the compatibility list on gbatemp saying it wasn't possible, but I've been using it for a while (although, to be honest, I haven't updated Nintendont for a long while).

Finally, I'm glad you're also enjoying these patches!

Last edited by Maeson, , Reason: Typos!

Vogeluff

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
atleast for me thw viewtiful joe european roms wont work with forced 480p using nintendont and usb loader gx. i use the ntsc versions for now. keep me informed if you find time and interest in doing some new patches :) enjoy your day!

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
True, I confirm that Metal Gear Solid forcing to 60hz the audio of the cutscenes are out of sync, like Skies of Arcadia (Rayman 3 too).
I recommend not patching those games that have a lot of scenes unless you don't mind :)
Some games, like the ones I mentioned, don't need to force them, in PAL50 hz works fine (I hate to play 50 hz but I prefer this that scenes are out of sync).
Tales of Symphonia can be forced to 60 hz with Nintendont (480i) ^_^

Last edited by elenarguez,
Reactions: WonkaBoar792

WonkaBoar79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Late comment on this I know, but recently I was able to convert more PAL games to run at 60hz. There were ppf patch files posted on a now defunct site that allowed the user to change the game's region code. The files contained a JPN, NTSC, and PAL patches. With the PAL to NTSC patch I was able to get these games working with at 60fps:

F-ZERO GX
Super Mario Sunshine
Fire Emblem
Mario Smash Football (Super Strikers)
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Pikmin
Doshin the Giant
Mario Party 4

These games listed no longer ask for progressive scan and run at 30/60 now by default when starting the games. I don't know why it works great with some games and not others. Some games will play but still only run at 50 (like Smash Melee) and others won't work at all like Wind Waker.

Last edited by WonkaBoar79,

leodexe

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Late comment on this I know, but recently I was able to convert more PAL games to run at 60hz. There were ppf patch files posted on a now defunct site that allowed the user to change the game's region code. The files contained a JPN, NTSC, and PAL patches. With the PAL to NTSC patch I was able to get these games working with at 60fps:

F-ZERO GX
Super Mario Sunshine
Fire Emblem
Mario Smash Football (Super Strikers)
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Pikmin
Doshin the Giant
Mario Party 4

These games listed no longer ask for progressive scan and run at 30/60 now by default when starting the games. I don't know why it works great with some games and not others. Some games will play but still only run at 50 (like Smash Melee) and others won't work at all like Wind Waker.
Can you provide these files to add support for 480p60 for the above games you mentioned? Today I recently tested PAL Super Mario Sunshine with Nintendont v6.483 and 480p60 for this one doesn't work. The only way to get PAL 480p60 games where Nintendont won't support them is through Swiss, and I don't have the hardware and all the stuff needed to make it work in Wii, neither I don't own a Gamecube and it would be cool to at least have these PAL games to be played properly at 480p60.

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Can you provide these files to add support for 480p60 for the above games you mentioned? Today I recently tested PAL Super Mario Sunshine with Nintendont v6.483 and 480p60 for this one doesn't work. The only way to get PAL 480p60 games where Nintendont won't support them is through Swiss, and I don't have the hardware and all the stuff needed to make it work in Wii, neither I don't own a Gamecube and it would be cool to at least have these PAL games to be played properly at 480p60.
You must first activate the progressive option in Nintendont settings so Nintendont can load the game at 480p.

leodexe

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You must first activate the progressive option in Nintendont settings so Nintendont can load the game at 480p.
Wrong.

Only PAL games that will boot with forced 480p without the 60hz patch are
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6
Mario Party 7
Doshin the Giant
as FIX94 stated earlier they don't need the 60Hz patch of the OP because Nintendont has already Built in PAL 480p support for these games.

Add to these, according to the Nintendont compatibility list (I'm new member and can't post links dumb rule btw)
These 4 PAL games also boot at PAL 480p without any modification needed
F-Zero GX
Mario Smash Football AKA Super Mario Strikers (PAL)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Super Monkey Ball 1
Super Monkey Ball 2

and a lot of other games that I'm missing, but mostly Mario games and some 3rd party too.

Finally, these 4 PAL games NEED custom patch to properly boot at 480p, otherwise when forced at 480p with progressive scan will give a nice black screen with audio playback.
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin 1
Wario World
Metal Gear Solid TTS

+ other games not compatible with 480p, such as Metroid Prime 1,2 and Resident Evil 1 and 2 and a lot other games in that list.

Yeah I'm not including a lot of games that are also missing on the list but you can see it for yourself that a ton of PAL games doesn't have 480p support FOR NINTENDONT.

However, with Swiss the story is totally different as 99% of the Gamecube library either NTSC and PAL are compatible with 480p, but currently I'm unable to afford a Swiss setup as I don't even own a Gamecube to begin with.

Last edited by leodexe,

WonkaBoar792

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had to make new profile after forgetting my original Wonka account login & email. Anyway, yes I do have the files and I'll post them below to download. All the files I've tested were used on Dolphin 5.0. I would've tested with real hardware, but I don't have a modded Gamecube though I assume they'll work just fine. I would also post the iso's I worked on here as they're technically considered homebrew, and not "official", but I don't want to risk it just in case.

In my tests most Nintendo games do not work. Commonly it results in a black screen crash. Others play just fine with 30 fps gameplay, but cut scenes are in 50fps (ie: Eternal Darkness, Luigi's Mansion, Wario World, Smash Melee, Power Tennis). A small selection of titles work flawlessly that'll run completely in NTSC fps rates (ie: Sunshine, Mario Parties 4-7, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem POF). Though a weird oddity with Sunshine is if you use GC Bios in Dolphin Sunshine will act like a PAL title (25/50 fps) again even though the game reads as NTSC. But, an easy fix is not to use bios, when playing via Dolphin. Without it it'll run 30/60 fps.

Hope this helps and hope this will lead to better patches for other titles! :)

Attachments

• Gamecube Region Patches.7z
    233.3 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by WonkaBoar792,

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hello @MaeseJesus . Just wanted to thank you about your marvellous work here, even if Nintendont has built-in some of these patches by now !

Having played "Baten Kaitos" on DiosMios years ago at 60 fps, I just couldn't stand the PAL slowdown, and wasn't able to force any progressive mode with Nintendont alone!

But with your modification it works like a charm, kudos for this accomplishment !

See you online very soon ! ;)

Reactions: Maeson

totakeke95

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Had to make new profile after forgetting my original Wonka account login & email. Anyway, yes I do have the files and I'll post them below to download. All the files I've tested were used on Dolphin 5.0. I would've tested with real hardware, but I don't have a modded Gamecube though I assume they'll work just fine. I would also post the iso's I worked on here as they're technically considered homebrew, and not "official", but I don't want to risk it just in case.

In my tests most Nintendo games do not work. Commonly it results in a black screen crash. Others play just fine with 30 fps gameplay, but cut scenes are in 50fps (ie: Eternal Darkness, Luigi's Mansion, Wario World, Smash Melee, Power Tennis). A small selection of titles work flawlessly that'll run completely in NTSC fps rates (ie: Sunshine, Mario Parties 4-7, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem POF). Though a weird oddity with Sunshine is if you use GC Bios in Dolphin Sunshine will act like a PAL title (25/50 fps) again even though the game reads as NTSC. But, an easy fix is not to use bios, when playing via Dolphin. Without it it'll run 30/60 fps.

Hope this helps and hope this will lead to better patches for other titles! :)
I'm sorry for my ignorance, but are these patches used to change the frame rate of games or just 50/60hz mode? So, if I want to use the NTSC patch to Tales of Smphonia PAL, would it work at 60 fps?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.