PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 70.6 Million Units Worldwide

SIE_logo.png
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced new sales milestones for PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation VR, virtual reality system, and PS4 and PS VR games.
  • PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 70.6M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017.
  • More than 617.8 million copies of PS4 games have been sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017.
  • Based on strong momentum of PS4, PS VR cumulatively sold through more than 2M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017.
  • 150 titles have been released for PS VR, achieving more than 12.2 million copies sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017.
"We are delighted that so many people are enjoying the unique entertainment proposition of PlayStation 4 and that an emerging technology like PlayStation VR continues to gain traction," said Andrew House, Chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment. "I cannot thank our fans and partners enough. Their support, since the launch of very first PlayStation in 1994, has helped to make PlayStation one of the biggest console gaming networks in the world. We will continue to work closely with partners to maintain this momentum and remain steadfast in making PS4 the best place to play."

On the software front, PS4's portfolio will continue to expand with an array of games including God of War, Detroit: Become Human, Spider-Man, Shadow of Colossus, Dreams, Days Gone,Far Cry 5 (Ubisoft) and Monster Hunter: World (Capcom). Currently there are more than 130 highly anticipated games and video contents in development for PS VR to be launched by the end of 2018, including The Inpatient and Bravo Team, utilizing the unique VR experience.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As ever I am curious how many of those are active consoles and how many were people getting a PS4k for no great reason. Failure rate seems low enough that we don't have to do a RRoD equivalent and media players seem ubiquitous enough that I have to wonder at the component going for that.

Also
[insert switch fanboy baiting comment], link to http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo...ts-to-14-million-units-for-first-year.488137/
Aw

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As ever I am curious how many of those are active consoles and how many were people getting a PS4k for no great reason. Failure rate seems low enough that we don't have to do a RRoD equivalent and media players seem ubiquitous enough that I have to wonder at the component going for that.

Also
[insert switch fanboy baiting comment], link to http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo...ts-to-14-million-units-for-first-year.488137/
Aw
Well see. I'm content with how Nintendo is doing, but I can't forsee them matching Sonys pace at all.

D

Deleted User

From what I've seen, the PlayStation 4 isn't quite the one-way battle the PlayStation 2 was, but it does seem like it's the predominant console of this generation. The Xbox One seems a bit boring, and the Wii U flopped. Not sure if the Switch counts for this generation, but even if it did, it doesn't have the base the PS4 does. At least, not yet.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will one day have to look into the xbone and where it faltered.

Throughout the PS360 MS's offering held up well enough, and once the PS3 got out of its initial funk it was all much of a muchness. I can't imagine it is all the taint of the always on and kinect. Maybe it was that initial price.

Here though exclusives kind of mean something again (a pity from where I sit), though as it is not quite PS2 levels you can still get a reasonable show from the xbone.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I will one day have to look into the xbone and where it faltered.

Throughout the PS360 MS's offering held up well enough, and once the PS3 got out of its initial funk it was all much of a muchness. I can't imagine it is all the taint of the always on and kinect. Maybe it was that initial price.

Here though exclusives kind of mean something again (a pity from where I sit), though as it is not quite PS2 levels you can still get a reasonable show from the xbone.
A Microsoft console is redundant when the vast majority of gaming PCs run on Windows anyway. I'm probably not the only one that sees it that way. During the 360 era PC gaming was nothing special, it started really taking off toward the end of that. Sony had Soulslikes going into PS4, and I think that captured a lot of attention. Attention they managed to keep with just enough quality exclusives to string people along.

Basically, PS4 is doing something special software-wise, Switch is doing something special hardware-wise, PC is the best of all worlds (but not portable), and XB1 plays downgraded PC games.

Last edited by Xzi,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm sensing the PS5 is going to be teased soon and the PS4 isn't even at its peak yet, IMHO.

Not sure we have the graphics leap to justify a new console generation yet. Sony would do better to take advantage of its huge installed base.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you need the leap? Ease of programming could probably stand in.

So Sony should risk its momentum and start anew because "ease of programming" appeals to the customer? I thought the profit was in selling games, not consoles.

Doesn't make sense to me but whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: DarthDub

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So Sony should risk its momentum and start anew because "ease of programming" appeals to the customer? I thought the profit was in selling games, not consoles.

Doesn't make sense to me but whatever floats your boat.
I dare say you missed where I was heading, though I suppose I was unclear.

As it stands one of us going and making a platformer that runs on a 16 bit console would be a serious feat, chuck one of the dozen PC game creators at us and we will be spending 90% of the time making levels.
By similar token the PS360 saw games that would have looked stunning on the PS2 and xbox (doable but top tier company) and towards the end of that we saw the devs having to really hard optimise to make things fit in the paltry sum of memory and storage.
Today I see something somewhat similar with the PS4 and xbone where people are spending the time to really optimise code, spend ages dicking around with shaders and all that other jazz. They bump the hardware up and any old dev then gets to play at that level and that could be a good thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there...