Hacking Playstation / VIta TV - Maximum HDD Size + Compatibility?

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went to BestBuy today and bought this Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...able-hard-drive-black/5605528.p?skuId=5605528 No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work. I tried formatting it to exFAT and FAT32 both using default cluster sizes and cluster sizes as small as it would let me. I thought I figured it out when I realized that every time I was formatting it, it was formatting it in GPT which I read doesn't work on the PSTV. So I figured out how to convert it to MBR and tried that but it's still not being recognized. So I don't really know what to do anymore. Maybe there is something about Western Digital Drives that the PSTV just doesn't like. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had a brand of drive not work on a system I was hacking.

@aos10 Are you absolutely sure a 2TB Seagate drive worked in the PSTV? And can you tell me without a doubt that it is this one here? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagat...ble-hard-drive-silver/5127023.p?skuId=5127023 Because I will order it through BestBuy and when it arrives I will return my Western Digital for it. I just don't want to be buying and returning a lot of different drives trying to figure this thing out.

@Tom Bombadildo Do you have any other suggestions for me to try? I don't have to have a 2TB drive. I just like to have the biggest drive that will work on a system so that I never have to worry about running out of space. I'll even go down to a 1TB. Even a 500GB if I have to.

And lastly, where do you guys think I should be posting these kinds of questions to get the best results. Like I heard it was TheFlow who enabled USB usage on the Vita. Do you think it would be worth it for me to ask him? And if so, where does he hang out? Thanks again for all the help.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
So I went to BestBuy today and bought this Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...able-hard-drive-black/5605528.p?skuId=5605528 No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work. I tried formatting it to exFAT and FAT32 both using default cluster sizes and cluster sizes as small as it would let me. I thought I figured it out when I realized that every time I was formatting it, it was formatting it in GPT which I read doesn't work on the PSTV. So I figured out how to convert it to MBR and tried that but it's still not being recognized. So I don't really know what to do anymore. Maybe there is something about Western Digital Drives that the PSTV just doesn't like. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had a brand of drive not work on a system I was hacking.

@aos10 Are you absolutely sure a 2TB Seagate drive worked in the PSTV? And can you tell me without a doubt that it is this one here? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagat...ble-hard-drive-silver/5127023.p?skuId=5127023 Because I will order it through BestBuy and when it arrives I will return my Western Digital for it. I just don't want to be buying and returning a lot of different drives trying to figure this thing out.

@Tom Bombadildo Do you have any other suggestions for me to try? I don't have to have a 2TB drive. I just like to have the biggest drive that will work on a system so that I never have to worry about running out of space. I'll even go down to a 1TB. Even a 500GB if I have to.

And lastly, where do you guys think I should be posting these kinds of questions to get the best results. Like I heard it was TheFlow who enabled USB usage on the Vita. Do you think it would be worth it for me to ask him? And if so, where does he hang out? Thanks again for all the help.
I've seen a video on YouTube and he was using segate, also you should check hackinformer and wololo for more info.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Check here on reddit, someone used wd 2tb

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/...stv/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_header

Reactions: Clutz450

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After buying and returning several drives, I finally found a 2TB drive that worked. After I do some more testing with it I will try and post all the drives that I tried and didn't work so that others can avoid them. The drive that finally worked is a Seagate Backup Plus Slim (STDR2000100). The PSTV does not have enough power for it alone so I am using the official PlayStation 4 port hub that plugs into a wall outlet that I had on my PS3 and it works great on my PSTV. VitaShell now mounts uma0 and shows 1.82TB available. The one thing I noticed that is that since the hub is powered by a wall outlet, my USB drive stays powered on even when the Vita is turned off. Using the Seagate Dashboard that I downloaded off their site, I am able to turn on a sleep timer. I'm wondering if any of you know what is a good time limit to set. I don't want to have my drive powered 24/7 and possibly wear it out but I also don't want to set the sleep timer too low and have it crash on me while I am playing a game. Anyone have any ideas?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After buying and returning several drives, I finally found a 2TB drive that worked. After I do some more testing with it I will try and post all the drives that I tried and didn't work so that others can avoid them. The drive that finally worked is a Seagate Backup Plus Slim (STDR2000100). The PSTV does not have enough power for it alone so I am using the official PlayStation 4 port hub that plugs into a wall outlet that I had on my PS3 and it works great on my PSTV. VitaShell now mounts uma0 and shows 1.82TB available. The one thing I noticed that is that since the hub is powered by a wall outlet, my USB drive stays powered on even when the Vita is turned off. Using the Seagate Dashboard that I downloaded off their site, I am able to turn on a sleep timer. I'm wondering if any of you know what is a good time limit to set. I don't want to have my drive powered 24/7 and possibly wear it out but I also don't want to set the sleep timer too low and have it crash on me while I am playing a game. Anyone have any ideas?

you may have to live with it. you could always unplug the usb hub via a toggle switch. those are pretty cheap. however, I got one for my wii u, and it failed eventually causing games to kick me out of them after a certain amount of time.

I doubt that leaving it plugged in will destroy the drive. it will probably keep the drive from failing if the system isn't used for a long time. nonuse seems to be worse than overuse. also, some game systems have the same issue. the 360, for example, still sends power to unpowered drives even while in standby mode. you can see this if you look at the hdd's, activity indicator light.

kumozero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I don’t normally post anything, I don’t really like social media, but I have been following allot of these posts about PlayStation mostly and it’s history,
I have every PlayStation, my ps3 original phat model with a 4 port hub has 7 2tb drives attach with every ps1, ps2, psp and ps3 game I want to play, and now I have my pstv finally hacked to enjoy every game I want to play, I just wanted to point out as I have seen this mistake taken so often, because allot of people don’t read or are lazy, like me I am lazy I am super lazy, but one thing I have learned is that when it comes to hacking or following a guide on hacking, every step should be looked at least twice, anyways I am dribbling to much here, to the point I wanted to make, so my USB HDD is formatted with MBR in ExFAT, default allocation, and works perfectly, PlayStation seems to not be able to read HDDs with GPT not sure why perhaps Sony didn’t want to use this partition table yet or have no need for it, I’ve used allot of different HDDs and PlayStation only reads them when in MBR, Nintendo I have found the same with, I have 3 HDDs brands, seagate, ADATA and Western Digital, all of them work, from my smallest 500gb to my largest 2tb externals, both with and without power cables, though my 2tb needs a Y splitter USB cable to be powered but anyways they work, I mostly use Western Digital and that is what I am showing on my pstv, I hope this has been helpful to some, I’ll continue to hide now and just watch and read like before...

Attachments

• 48026E07-710B-44F0-A27F-D7B0A84D7A95.jpeg
    48026E07-710B-44F0-A27F-D7B0A84D7A95.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
  • FFDF8C8E-80E8-45E2-A149-82502DC5F744.jpeg
    FFDF8C8E-80E8-45E2-A149-82502DC5F744.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 285
Last edited by kumozero,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended