ROM Hack Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver BGM Removal Patch

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a patch for Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver versions that disables the background music (BGM) while retaining all other sounds. I admit it's not that exciting but if you're recording for a video that you want to add your own music to or if you just don't like the music it can come in handy.

Apply the correct patch for your version to a clean ROM using xdelta3.

Download HeartGold Patch Download SoulSilver Patch

*Note on Issues:
I have only removed sound files that the developer (GAMEFREAK) specifically labeled in internal filenames as background music. It's quite possible that sounds that might not really be background music were not labeled accurately and got removed. On the same note, background music files that were not labeled like the ones I removed may have evaded my efforts. My quick testing has not yielded any glaring issues, but if you find any report them here.

Known "Issues":
-The music that normally plays upon entering a battle is gone, quite conspicuously. I believe that since this leads directly into the regular battle BGM it is part of the same file and cannot feasibly be enabled.
-Background music plays during certain critical meetings with NPCs. This music is obviously labeled different from the other BGM but I've yet to find it.

Thanks go out to kiwi.ds for making the tool that made this a lot easier (NDS Editor) and Lasivian for a gracious donation that made this even more worthwhile for me.

Last edited by Poryhack, , Reason: Fixed dead links to patches.
Reactions: YuseiFD

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol... I wonder, do we have a AR code that simply mutes the battle theme? thats all I ask for. like Platinum has one.

powerruletheeart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really see the point in this becuase if you wanted to remove the music for a video then you can just use the video making software your using to mute or delete the music and add your own music XD!!
I guess its nice for people who don't like the music but isn't the music it already has better then nothing...?

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
powerruletheearth said:
I don't really see the point in this becuase if you wanted to remove the music for a video then you can just use the video making software your using to mute or delete the music and add your own music XD!!
I guess its nice for people who don't like the music but isn't the music it already has better then nothing...?

someone requested this.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
powerruletheearth said:
Can you selectively remove the background sounds and keep all the effects?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Reactions: pandavova

NSurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allow me to bump this 7 year old thread in hopes that somebody still has these patches somewhere, as the Dropbox link died sometime ago.
(I didn't find anything related to necromancy in the forum rules)

So yeah, does anybody still have this, or can make a new patch?

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allow me to bump this 7 year old thread in hopes that somebody still has these patches somewhere, as the Dropbox link died sometime ago.
(I didn't find anything related to necromancy in the forum rules)

So yeah, does anybody still have this, or can make a new patch?
The links have been fixed, enjoy.

Reactions: NSurf

NSurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My hero! I'll make sure to backup in my MEGA account, just in case this ever dies, so please HMU if that ever happened!
Notes to noobz like me: The patch files do not have the Delta UI extension. but you can use them just the same. Make sure the output rom is changed to .NDS as well.

This is incredible! Thank you so much!

Last edited by NSurf,

NeroSavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I just created an account to reply to this, when I download the Patch I get a 1 kb file that doesn't work with xdelta every time I try to use the file with xdelta GUI, I probably sound like a total noob here but please It'd be nice to get response.

Last edited by NeroSavior,

NSurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I just created an account to reply to this, when I download the Patch I get a 1 kb file that doesn't work with xdelta every time I try to use the file with xdelta GUI, I probably sound like a total noob here but please I'd be nice to get response.
Hello, I had no problem using xDelta by the link provided in OP. Best regards.

NeroSavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSurf could you please explain the process all from downloading xdelta3 from the link provided all the way to patching the game. Honestly I'm pretty clueless on what I'm doing, if you want we can speak privately

OKOKOKOKOK21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm late but can someone PLEASE help me, the patch that's linked isn't in the correct format (.xdelta). if anyone has this patch for heart gold please send it.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
The point of this is keeping the sound effects, using the video editor is muting the sound all together, OP thanks for this, much appreciated.

mattgcn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi! It seems like the links are malformed or broken: The files linked in the OP are not extractable by any zip program I use. If anyone else has successfully downloaded them previously, a rehost would be greatly appreciated :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu