Poll: what do you think of VR gaming?

Fove-VR-Headset.jpg

Virtual reality seemed like an impossible dream a few years back.
Now that there are several major solutions out there (PS VR, Oculus, HTC, Samsung...) VR gaming is a reality.
Well a virtual reality at least! So as a gamer, how do you feel about VR gaming?

Answer the poll and discuss!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
IMO with VR, it's too early to really say.

VR content is still extremely limited, despite some major companies attempting to bring as much content to the platform as possible (ala PSVR games and Bethesda seemingly throwing every franchise they make into the VR basket). There are still too few true VR games to really judge how well it works as a gaming platform in general, whether it's just another gimmick like motion controls or if it's truly the "next gen experience".

I do think VR has had a promising start, the major games and showcases are at least well put together, if a bit lacking in content for the most part. It still needs another generation or two to really grow, and cheapen up as well for the more "advanced" headsets like the Vive. I'd love to actually own a Vive now, just to be a part of that "initial, first impression experience", but there's no way I'm shelling out the money for one, it'd take me a couple years of saving on my current budget to afford one.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo, , Reason: Stop it autocorrect

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't really care for it or see the point of it in its current state. Maybe in the future I'll try it out if something interesting comes out, I just don't like the idea of being entirely inside of a game world.

Last edited by Seliph,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love the idea of VR gaming, however I wont buy into it until real games start to pop out.
Right now we just have glorified tech demos, or mods for existing games and nothing really substantial.
VR is an incredible medium for gaming but I think we still have some years before it's worth taking the plunge.

A lot of people don't seem to realize VR is still in its infancy. It has barely scratched its potential, and devs still haven't been able to truly capture the capabilities it holds to enhance gaming experiences. People jumping the gun is nothing new though, hell that's why we have early access selling unfinished games and people crying that the games they play are unfinished.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if my answer quite fits the poll.

Only experience mobile VR and only had modern fun with it. I know doesn't compare anywhere close to PC VR. I'll put mildly interested, simple because I can afford the bigger VR experiences.

james50a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I literally rent out the technology in the toronto area. Can say from personal and customer experience that its a gimmick in its current form. fun for a while but doesnt currently have enough appeal to make it worth it longterm. Dont get me wrong if you have never tried it, its a hell of alot of fun (mario kart in vr is awsome) but as it being something you would want to use longterm (ie a ps3) it gets old after the first week or two tops.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Demos and stuff are still really limited, I think when more people are exposed to good, high-end VR it'll grow exponentially. There are already tons of great VR games and VR is really hitting its stride recently in software and hardware. DOOM(4) VR, Fallout 4 VR, the Pimax 8K HMD, and Skyrim VR are all on the horizon. Superhot VR, Rez Infinite, Thumper, Redout, Everspace, House of the Dying Sun, Arizona Sunshine, Space Pirate Trainer, Raw Data, NewRetroArcade, and Windlands are all must-buys for VR IMO.

Too few people realize it, but every genre is represented in VR already. Including RTS, RPG, sports, everything. I'm up to 85 games on Steam for Vive.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Scott-105

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I really think this video says it all:

We're not quite there yet with VR.

That video seems like it came out right after launch of Vive and Rift. A lot of the games they're playing are cheap indies that were very early in development at the time. It's just now that some of the launch titles are exiting early access, and the platform itself (SteamVR) has drastically improved since launch as well.

VR is not a gimmick, proper VR setups are a system all their own. Wii was massively successful off the back of some pretty poor motion controls, and now we have sub-millimeter tracking in full 3D space. Coincidentally, Wii games have never been better than they are in Dolphin VR. Just one of a million awesome things you can do for free in VR with a PC HMD. Google Earth is amazeballs too.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"