Poll: what do you think of VR gaming?

Fove-VR-Headset.jpg

Virtual reality seemed like an impossible dream a few years back.
Now that there are several major solutions out there (PS VR, Oculus, HTC, Samsung...) VR gaming is a reality.
Well a virtual reality at least! So as a gamer, how do you feel about VR gaming?

Answer the poll and discuss!

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VR game wise while I'm very curious and have enjoyed my few times trying it I however find it very lacking.
The tech is finally all it needs to be now compared to the old days barely being able to manage half of anything and stuck at low resolutions on a tiny screen tied to your head.
Tech wise its great but software just feels cheap and gimmicky.
I think its more a problem with the industry today not wanting to innovate like it used to and instead just trying to jump on a fad as fast as possible.
Games like Robot Recall while fun don't offer me much a challenge personally as it relies too much on physics and teleporting to get around.
Once I learned I could just throw everything and teleport where I wanted I could avoid all fire and it was just a matter of tossing them in the right direction.
Nothing like the Arcade days it just felt very handed over and not so much an experience as much as a gimmick and that's one of the good games out there.
I know there has to be better games and software out there but right now VR is a big pricey gimmick but I think it has a large potential and just needs more devs making things for them without limits.
Sadly it still needs time to get more users in, be more accessible to users sensitive to it and offer more substantial gaming experiences that feel more like playing an arcade game than a quick mobile game.
I will buy one eventually but yeah the correct state is a little rocky but it won't bring it down, its a gimmick but I think its a lasting one that can only improve.
Now augmented reality that would be nice, I don't like the idea of fully immersing into a game anyway, least not too often anyway.
That and having virtual posters, virtual pets, virtual do dads all over my room would be kinda fun.

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll be worried about it when I can use my whole body and be totally immersed in another world. Escapism practically. I understand this will never happen in my lifetime.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'll be worried about it when I can use my whole body and be totally immersed in another world. Escapism practically. I understand this will never happen in my lifetime.
Don't be so quick, it's already possible to move an entire virtual body near perfectly using just cables that take small electrical charges from the nerves, so a SAO kind of thing isn't that far off in the future...:P

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey if I can swing a sword and fight goblins and lizardmen in VR as if I was actually in a cave or something before I die I'll be very happy :)

Reactions: ThoD

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
If you literally have a screen strapped in front of your eyeballs I am sure you can pipe a feed into it. Granted that would require all these great services I am apparently missing out on to actually do proper protocols but we can but hope.

Well, a PC can do anything a phone can, and then some. Not to mention there are programs to connect your phone to VR.

Indeed... it would be amusing if you could stream your phone to the VR system... kill all the monsters in the room, go find a safe spot, then pull your phone out and reply to your latest messages or quickly check the footie scores... It would require being able to sync the movement of your finger in the game to the actual physical touch screen... or some kind of teamviewer style service running on the phone. It needs to be seamless though; download app on phone connect, go.

If everybody is that ADD in the future, we'll have much bigger problems than gaming IMO.

ADD isn't the right term... but we're already there.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Tech wise its great but software just feels cheap and gimmicky.
Are people seriously not aware that there are numerous games released which have the full versions for both VR and traditional gaming? Redout, Rez: Infinite, Thumper. All of these you get both versions for one price. Unfortunately Bethesda isn't doing it that way, but they are still releasing full Fallout 4 and Skyrim in VR. DOOM VFR is a game designed specifically for VR. Then you've got Superhot, Serious Sam First and Second Encounter HD, etc. Doom 3 also has a fantastic full VR mod. Also Dolphin VR for Wii and Gamecube games.

So yeah, the software is plentiful by now, to say the least.

Last edited by Xzi,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using a plastic Google Cardboard headset and Trinus VR software for the better part of the year and I'm mostly happy. I know my method is limited but it serves me well. A few hours ago, I FINALLY figured out how to get Star Trek Bridge Crew running through my headset minus the head tracking part. I'll figure out head tracking after I get some sleep. For a "true VR" experience, visually I'm impressed with STBC! If this is a taste of things to come, I'm positive about VR.

Reactions: Xzi

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had psvr in its launch month and kept it for 3 months. I returned it for a full refund as i never bough a game for it in that 3 month window.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
VR is great but its still be on "baby-stage" . Maybe on 10 year we can play a really VR games.

Do you also want to aim for the part where you get stuck in the game, fall into a coma and have your consciousness trapped in a game while your body is half a city away from the terminal in real life?:P

Hurtz007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely LOVE VR!!! I have a PSVR with Rigs and i really enjoy it. I also play all my ps4 games in that virtual theater now... hey don't judge me! I even have a Dell Visor (Windows Mixed Reality) on preorder set to come in on the 17th... sad that steamvr wont be there for launch but hey at least its coming around holiday!... also i just noticed that someone else here actually knows about .hack//... YAY!

Last edited by Hurtz007,

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you also want to aim for the part where you get stuck in the game, fall into a coma and have your consciousness trapped in a game while your body is half a city away from the terminal in real life?:P

LOL XD

Yes, but It will be a happy coma

My only motivation to continue living is for full-immersion VR. The sole reason I got a government job was for the pension you get at the end. You are supposed to retire at 57, but you can also get it much sooner with a percentage penalty as soon as you hit 20 years in service. By then, VR should be much closer to my ideal, and I wouldn't mind dying in the game or having my consciousness trapped. Plus you get to retire with decent health insurance, so my coma medical costs won't pose much of a problem. I also hope that by then I'll have a robot housekeeper to do the chores and cook for me so I never have to leave the house. So Excited for 2033.

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not wishing to pry but the two big reasons I tend to hear are one eye is bad which is not ideal but can be worked around, and if you are really lucky may even still get you a limited type of 3d if they split one eye in two, and motion sickness which can also be dealt with.

you need both eyes to see 3d, and i think that even partial loss of vision can render 3d essentially useless. i had my left eye blinded in 2014, i was robbed and shot in the head.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you need both eyes to see 3d, and i think that even partial loss of vision can render 3d essentially useless. i had my left eye blinded in 2014, i was robbed and shot in the head.
In that case pending robot eyes you are unlikely to see 3d that way, give or take splitting inputs to your one eye. Can still strap a screen to your head and have it respond to your head movement though and can still possibly get better immersion if your visual field is swamped by it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
VR gaming? Wussat? I can't afford it. Das what.

Seriously, it's a nice gimmick. Nothing worth writing home about. I may purchase a Vive come return time. Not a fan of Oculus and their business ethic.

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In that case pending robot eyes you are unlikely to see 3d that way, give or take splitting inputs to your one eye. Can still strap a screen to your head and have it respond to your head movement though and can still possibly get better immersion if your visual field is swamped by it.

that would be lame.
also, nerve recovery will probably be a thing before VR does, lol

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, yeah, I didn't mention anything regarding wearing glasses.
I only tested with PSVR, and it's a little annoying.
I don't know how much it would have cost to add a vision corrector directly to the VR headset (like the one ophthalmologist uses to make you read).

I also find the way Sony decided to calibrate the device is really a bad move.
you have to take a screenshot of yourself, and place dots on your eyes to calculate the eyes distance and set a value for the VR.
spending time doing it, just to tell you "your setting is 2.3 !"
and if you want someone else from your family to play, you'll have to change it back by doing the screenshot process all over again, you can't just enter "2.3" manually.
You can't edit the 3D depth while in game, you need to exit and do that stupid eye-distance-dot-placing manually, and if it doesn't feel good while playing you need to re-do it until you get a proper value.
value which is totally not useful to know, because you can't set it manually anyway :(

Reactions: KoalaBoy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.