Tutorial  Updated

Portable Steam - Run Steam Anywhere!

THIS ONLY WORKS ON WINDOWS 7!!!

Somewhere far away from home and want to access Steam?
No access to admin privileges blocking you?

This guide is for you! All you'll need is the Steam installer and preferably a USB or some type of hard drive. (The USB is so you can put Steam on it and bring it anywhere. Pretty cool! I have a 2TB hard drive with all my games on it, and I bring it anywhere I go! Steam library on the go!)

Instructions:
  1. Download this .zip that I thoughtfully put together and uploaded to MEGA. (Seriously GBAtemp users, stop fucking using Dropbox. Dropbox is shit and we all know it!)
  2. Extract it to a folder in your USB drive
  3. Run "RUNSTEAM.bat"
  4. Change the install folder to the "Steam" folder I put in the .zip
  5. Once that is done, deselect "Run Steam" and press finish.
  6. Copy "COPYTHIS.bat" into the folder
  7. Run "COPYTHIS.bat"
  8. Profit!

For some reason the link isn't working. Here it is
https://mega.nz/#!MfpRCTKI!S4dBrV0APAaNgztY5j39mr67mWKQUKkzZRzHPTU-wlM

How this works:

Setting __COMPAT_LAYER to RunAsInvoker does not actually give you administrator privileges if you do not have them; it simply prevents the UAC pop-up from appearing and then runs the program as whatever user called it. As such, it is safe to use this since you are not magically obtaining admin rights.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
Have you even tested it on 8 or 10?

10 it definitely doesn't work, not quite sure about 8. It uses a batch file with the
Code:
set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker
command, which only appears to work in Windows 7.

**EDIT**

Some info on how this works:

"Setting __COMPAT_LAYER to RunAsInvoker does not actually give you administrator privileges if you do not have them; it simply prevents the UAC pop-up from appearing and then runs the program as whatever user called it. As such, it is safe to use this since you are not magically obtaining admin rights."

Last edited by ,
Reactions: PrincessLillie

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Or u can just copy steamapps folders to USB Hdd, then use steam client on other PC do check for repair/hash for you.

All u need is just install steam client on other PC.

Last edited by leon315,
D

Deleted User

OP
Or u can just copy steamapps folders to USB Hdd, then use steam client on other PC do check for repair/hash for you.

All u need is just install steam client on other PC.
It still asks for admin access.

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
all you need to do is extract steam.exe and run it see :
It still asks for admin access.

https://github.com/MarioMasta64/Ste...3c14bdbf00baa55cb1200a6149feeb97/launcher.bat (for a simple version a more fancy version here: https://github.com/MarioMasta64/EverythingPortable/blob/master/launch_steam.bat)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if you want to add .dll compatibility for games putting them in a folder and adding to path should work fine for most cases. not sure how steam handles those tho.

also probs you can add warnings like i did saying what to respond when it asks, basically the things it asks for (the service) is so that it can install things like directx or whatever the game needs without having to bring a uac prompt up (it also used for creating desktop icon links)

hopefully some of the tricks i did can help with your project :P good luck with it

D

Deleted User

OP
all you need to do is extract steam.exe and run it see :

https://github.com/MarioMasta64/Ste...3c14bdbf00baa55cb1200a6149feeb97/launcher.bat (for a simple version a more fancy version here: https://github.com/MarioMasta64/EverythingPortable/blob/master/launch_steam.bat)

if you want to add .dll compatibility for games putting them in a folder and adding to path should work fine for most cases. not sure how steam handles those tho.

also probs you can add warnings like i did saying what to respond when it asks, basically the things it asks for (the service) is so that it can install things like directx or whatever the game needs without having to bring a uac prompt up (it also used for creating desktop icon links)

hopefully some of the tricks i did can help with your project :P good luck with it

Oh shit, that's neato

Reactions: MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Very basic compared to yours :rofl2:
yours has an import option tho xD i havent even implemented that into mine yet, also its kinda sloppy with locallow (which cant be set via variable but a symlink may work (i think itll kill compatibility for win10 or below if i do that tho as symlinking changed)

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
it works on windows 10 just gotta change a thing:
Code:
cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start "" SteamSetup.exe"
why this works even tho its almost exactly your thing idk. but here ya go :D

also i never knew about such a command existing :o ive been just extracting things, this may prove very very useful for some of my projects :D

heres an updated archive with win 8 / 10 support fixed :D lesson: cmd is weird af

Attachments

• PortableSteam.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,279

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is actually kinda cool! I'm on windows 10 tho so that sucks
Well it's only worthy, if you are not allowed to install steam on the machine, then this is a bypass.
Steam doesn't run with admin rights, in fact Valve is against running Steam with admin rights.
BUT
to install Steam with the official installer, you do need admin rights.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0