Hardware Possible 4K Switch dock addon. Your thoughts about this?

Should this "addon" come to the Nintendo Switch and will it benefit from it?

• Yes, this should come to the Switch and will benefit from this.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • Yes, this should come to the Switch but might not benefit from it.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • No, this should not come to the Switch but it might benefit from it.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • No, this should not come to the Switch and will not benefit from it.

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Honestly I don't know, why are there so many questions here?

Votes: 13 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4k is cool, but imo unless you are streaming videos its not necessary. And even then I'm perfectly happy with 1080p for videos.
For gaming, 4k is all about show. All it is is eye candy. I (and many others according to how successful switch is) prefer the game experience rather than 4k. People who buy the switch are going into it understanding we won't get Uber-high-end graphics. And frankly most of us don't care. Most of us bought the switch for the hybrid aspect. It's one of the only ways to buy one game and get both a home console and portable console experience with it. Those who care about 4k should just get a pc or an xb1x.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
4k is cool, but imo unless you are streaming videos its not necessary. And even then I'm perfectly happy with 1080p for videos.
For gaming, 4k is all about show. All it is is eye candy. I (and many others according to how successful switch is) prefer the game experience rather than 4k. People who buy the switch are going into it understanding we won't get Uber-high-end graphics. And frankly most of us don't care. Most of us bought the switch for the hybrid aspect. It's one of the only ways to buy one game and get both a home console and portable console experience with it. Those who care about 4k should just build a gaming pc
FIX'D :P

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is honestly pure gold. It baffles me how you think a mere 1060 can even give a playable experience in 4k anyway.
Side note: 1060s don't come in 8GB flavours lol.
First of all, this is a custom product (just like how arm creates custom products for solutions, Nintendo will create a custom-made GPU). Second of all, check out this video to see if you really can't play 4K on the Switch with a GTX 1060:

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
4k is overated, i prefer a 1080p with high fps with good antialiasing, light, shadows and effect than 4K
so yeah an external gpu would be handy
but the switch wouldn't support it, the transfer rate of its C port is too low to benefit from external gpu
in brief, don't count on nintendo to do it :P

Last edited by Alkéryn,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
First of all, this is a custom product (just like how arm creates custom products for solutions, Nintendo will create a custom-made GPU). Second of all, check out this video to see if you really can't play 4K on the Switch with a GTX 1060:

That's not how it works. You'd still have to have the CPU power to push proper 4k.. Which the Switch would be more than pushing it.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how it works. You'd still have to have the CPU power to push proper 4k.. Which the Switch would be more than pushing it.
I kinda don't want to get into the "issues" part. They can have a built-in CPU in it if so, but not all games would require massive CPU power to play 4K either because they work a little bit more different. The only thing I asked is if this is possible and would come to the community, would the community accept it and become a success like the switch or would it fail because the community didn't really want or need it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I kinda don't want to get into the "issues" part. They can have a built-in CPU in it if so, but not all games would require massive CPU power to play 4K either because they work a little bit more different. The only thing I asked is if this is possible and would come to the community, would the community accept it and become a success like the switch or would it fail because the community didn't really want or need it.
Depends on who you ask. I think we can all agree that 1080p/60 would be better.

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on who you ask. I think we can all agree that 1080p/60 would be better.
Yeah, but 4K looks amazing as well, not everyone has the same decision. Plus, some games might be able to play 4K 60fps because they don't require that much resource and videos with streaming services will definitively be able to output at 4K 60fps.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but 4K looks amazing as well, not everyone has the same decision. Plus, some games might be able to play 4K 60fps because they don't require that much resource and videos with streaming services will definitively be able to output at 4K 60fps.
That's fine and all, but 4k is such a niche option. Also expensive, even for PC gamers. One step at a time imo.

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine and all, but 4k is such a niche option. Also expensive, even for PC gamers. One step at a time imo.
4K is becoming more inexpensive nowadays (if you are talking about a TV or monitor). Ever since the oneX's boom for 4K 60fps games for a very low price of $600 with a blue-ray player built in, maybe the Switch should join into the party. Usually, to get all of these things as a PC gamer, it would cost you about $800 minimum if the parts are used. The oneX has brand new parts so it would be almost impossible to get a deal like that.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Some Switch games can't even run at 720p or 1080p much less at 4K. Just be happy with what you got or play on PS4/PC/XO.
Are you hew here? Gamers these days want more. They have such unreasonable and unrealistic expectations for how games should feel and look. 4k/60fps with ultra textures or bust..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

4K is becoming more inexpensive nowadays (if you are talking about a TV or monitor). Ever since the oneX's boom for 4K 60fps games for a very low price of $600 with a blue-ray player built in, maybe the Switch should join into the party. Usually, to get all of these things as a PC gamer, it would cost you about $800 minimum if the parts are used. The oneX has brand new parts so it would be almost impossible to get a deal like that.
Here's the thing. The One X was DESIGNED for 4k gaming, and is still limited. A Switch dock won't change how weak the CPU is.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you hew here? Gamers these days want more. They have such unreasonable and unrealistic expectations for how games should feel and look. 4k/60fps with ultra textures or bust..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's the thing. The One X was DESIGNED for 4k gaming, and is still limited. A Switch dock won't change how weak the CPU is.
The "addon" can fit right into the dock, just like how I showed that "an external device" was a planned thing, it would work out especially because of how the ports are set up. Also, all the Switch games are built lower end to play on the Switch.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The "addon" can fit right into the dock, just like how I showed that "an external device" was a planned thing, it would work out especially because of how the ports are set up. Also, all the Switch games are built lower end to play on the Switch.
... And upping the resolution would only serve to pronounce the bad graphics. If not make them worse.

If the games aren't designed with 4k in mind? Then there's nothing good that can come from it. I guess "updates" but that's limited.

Last edited by Kioku,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't get enhanced graphics with those ports. The only one that may work is the USB c power, but I'm fairly certain that port only passes power, not data. You can't simply plug a box into a hdmi and get upgraded graphics. And standard usb 3.0 is definitely not enough bandwidth to do it. If the power port doesn't have data then you definitely won't have an addon inside the dock like that.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Still will be cockblocked by the previous hardware, besides the CPU will be a bottleneck for the switch, I'm not even sure if putting at the same speed like the nvidia shield would make a better performance because of the throttle, I think with just the external gpu is the most feasible way, they wouldn't get more third party support because is only the resolution bump and some nice effects not a new hardware iteration, anyway I expect a New switch in the future like the ds line had

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So true. 4K is a step up, but its not an impressive step up in my opinion. A beautiful game running at 1080p and 60fps, is only going to look marginally worse than a 4K experience on your living room TV. Now if you had a movie theater sized screen, that 4K is going to start to make a considerable difference to the average eye, but at home... I really can just take it or leave it, and as current prices are, I'm leaning much more toward the leave it side.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos