Homebrew Possible Exploit? Possible Goof?

CravingCritic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been playing around with my 2DS and DS-mode cart with various things, and have come across something that's either helpful to the community, or just a derp on my behalf.

There's an ROPLoader floating around, so I decided to load it up on my flash card and run it, twas unsuccessful the first time (when pressing A to reboot), so I tried it again, this time pressing the home button to get back to the main menu. Lo and behold, when I open the DS Profile settings, my 2DS bugs out, then properly prompts me to f*ck off and restarts.

Now, this isn't it. I've not fiddled much since this discovery, but it seems to have broken DS-mode loading period on my device, spitting out an "Error has occurred, please hold down the power button to restart" message at me whenever I try to load up my flash card again.

Screenies below;
8dA3huz.jpg
6g8U63v.jpg

This screenshot is of the system momentarily freezing when trying to open the Nintendo DS Profile Menu.
n04xoS2.jpg

fhSgkiu.jpg
So, what do you guys think? I don't mind if I've permanently boned this thing as it's just a testing console. So, please, keep the "This idiot semi-bricked his 2DS hurr durr" comments to yourselves.

*EDIT*After doing a system format, my flash card and DS Profile Menu are back to normal.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
this was already "a thing"
you can fix ds mode by formatting the 3ds, also: once smealum's 6.3 exploit is released you should be able to use it on your 2ds

having said that though.. is your 3ds on 7.X or 6.X because if it's on 7.X then iirc it is notable as i'm pretty sure the profile exploit was fixed in 7.X

CravingCritic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is your 3ds on 7.X or 6.X because if it's on 7.X then iirc it is notable as i'm pretty sure the profile exploit was fixed in 7.X

The profile exploit itself may have been patched, but Smea has confirmed SSSpwn working with 7.x FW. He and a few devs are just trying to find a stable entrypoint from what I understand.

Me, being a newbie, but still an enthusiast, am just messing around with various things. It may lead to something (though chances are very slim), but I figure I'm not hurting anything, and have nothing better to do, so my 2DS is a guinea pig at the moment.

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can fix ds mode by formatting the 3ds, also: once smealum's 6.3 exploit is released you should be able to use it on your 2ds

having said that though.. is your 3ds on 7.X or 6.X because if it's on 7.X then iirc it is notable as i'm pretty sure the profile exploit was fixed in 7.X

It's 7.x he has miiverse icon on the top.

Also, don't bank on smea releasing anything. He recently stated he's waiting/looking for 7.x entry point and by that time maybe 8.x is released and he'll probably hold off looking for a 8.x entry point etc etc etc. Basically there's no end near in sight. But then again, we'll just have to wait and see.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
The profile exploit itself may have been patched, but Smea has confirmed SSSpwn working with 7.x FW. He and a few devs are just trying to find a stable entrypoint from what I understand.

yeah, sorry about the wording. I was just referring to the entrypoint being removed..
SSSpwn is as you say apparently not patched in 7.X but until a new entrypoint is found it will sit unusable on 7.X
It's 7.x he has miiverse icon on the top.
oh shit, didn't notice that :x

st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Fir
So I've been playing around with my 2DS and DS-mode cart with various things, and have come across something that's either helpful to the community, or just a derp on my behalf.

There's an ROPLoader floating around, so I decided to load it up on my flash card and run it, twas unsuccessful the first time (when pressing A to reboot), so I tried it again, this time pressing the home button to get back to the main menu. Lo and behold, when I open the DS Profile settings, my 2DS bugs out, then properly prompts me to f*ck off and restarts.

Now, this isn't it. I've not fiddled much since this discovery, but it seems to have broken DS-mode loading period on my device, spitting out an "Error has occurred, please hold down the power button to restart" message at me whenever I try to load up my flash card again.

Screenies below;
8dA3huz.jpg
6g8U63v.jpg

This screenshot is of the system momentarily freezing when trying to open the Nintendo DS Profile Menu.
n04xoS2.jpg

fhSgkiu.jpg
So, what do you guys think? I don't mind if I've permanently boned this thing as it's just a testing console. So, please, keep the "This idiot semi-bricked his 2DS hurr durr" comments to yourselves.

*EDIT*After doing a system format, my flash card and DS Profile Menu are back to normal.

Firmware Version ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well that's sort of interesting, wonder why it's working on 7.x here? Normally it should just wipe the settings and make you set them back up, this is what happens on 6.x where it was still unpatched by Nintendo, could it be that it still works on the 2ds or something

CravingCritic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's sort of interesting, wonder why it's working on 7.x here? Normally it should just wipe the settings and make you set them back up, this is what happens on 6.x where it was still unpatched by Nintendo, could it be that it still works on the 2ds or something

Maybe it's what Smea meant when he said he's looking for a "stable" entry point, considering it took me more than one attempt to get this scenario to happen. Perhaps he's still using this method on 6.x, but the success rate on the exploit taking hold in 7.x is too low.

I say this, because it took me another four attempts to get this to happen again after the format. So, generally speaking, it has a 33.3% chance of working, at least with my setup.

CravingCritic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly are you saying OP, I see nothing except a corruption of DS mode?

I'm saying that the stack overflow still works on a 7.10u 2DS, it's just that making it follow an ROP chain afterwards is the part of the process that's being a tit.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
My 2DS came with 6.0U, and I only "downgraded" to 6.1U to play Pokemon Y. I'm keeping it offline, sans for Spot/Street pass. Otherwise, I'm staying on 6.1U until either Gateway and/or Smea release something new past 4.5U.

Cjuub

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're using fierce waffles ROP loader I believe you are just corrupting the DS mode. That ROP loader is known to screw the DS mode up by not calculating the checksums correctly always. Basically it's failing to install the exploit correctly (because of buggy code), this is done in DS mode and can always be done no matter what 3DS firmware is because the checksums are a vital part of the DS firmware.

In 7.x the ROP chain is blocked because of additional size checking, but the DS firmware checksums are still there. And thus you can still brick it with that ROP loader.

If you were to use another correctly implemented DS exploit installer you would probably not be able to recreate this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night