PS1/2 PS2 Slim advice

mono21400

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, after trying to find info on what is better for my PS2 and totally failing to do so, I come here to ask what is the best choice for a PS2 Slim (SCPH-90010) in terms of modding? I'm aware that FreeMCboot is not an option (because my PS2 is too new I think) and probably my only choice is to pick a chip, if so what chip do you recommend me and why?

Something that I want to add is that I previously had a MarsPro 816HD (as far as I know is a clone) installed but I want to change it because it doesn't save settings and I would like to load games through USB (my laser reader is dying ;-; )

Sorry if I made a mistake, as english isn't my first language and thank you in advance ^-^/

Last edited by mono21400,

mono21400

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to know for certain? mine doesn't have a datacode printed below, so I wonder if is there another way.

right now I got the PS2 disassembled (I wanted to look which chip it had) maybe there is a print of some sort on the PCB.

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is there a way to know for certain? mine doesn't have a datacode printed below, so I wonder if is there another way.

right now I got the PS2 disassembled (I wanted to look which chip it had) maybe there is a print of some sort on the PCB.

Not all models has datacode. Do you still have the device information sticker on your PSTwo ?
If yes, read here : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/playstation-2-model-compatibility-155567/
If no, then you're screwed to know... :/

Last edited by ShaolinAssassin,

mono21400

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all models has datacode. Do you still have the device information sticker on your PSTwo ?
If yes, read here : [It doesn't let me put the link here]
If no, then you're screwed to know... :/
Yes, I still got the sticker, I just saw it, it have "R" as the chasis model. I guess I'm out of luck with the FMCB method.
is my only hope to get hold of another PSTwo? Or the chip method?

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Reactions: MockyLock

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modbo 4 is what I have. Runs PS1 and PS2 fine. No complaints besides the fact that it's kind of a pain in the butt to install. There are some super tiny points you need to solder in order for PS1 to work. Apparently installing the Modbo 5 is exactly the same.

mono21400

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modchip or swap magic are your only solutions.
What 'bout HDCombo and FreeHDBoot ?
[can't post links]

Thank you all for the info ^-^/
I think I'll use swapmagic until I get my hands on a modbo 4 as invaderyoyo suggest.

Modbo 4 is what I have. Runs PS1 and PS2 fine. No complaints besides the fact that it's kind of a pain in the butt to install. There are some super tiny points you need to solder in order for PS1 to work. Apparently installing the Modbo 5 is exactly the same.
Any info on the modbo 4? I mean compatibility, features and such. how hard is to solder? I got some practice on soldering (nothing fancy) I would like to know the equipment (cables, solder etc) better for the installation. Thank you in advance :)

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'll use swapmagic until I get my hands on a modbo 4 as invaderyoyo suggest.

Any info on the modbo 4? I mean compatibility, features and such. how hard is to solder? I got some practice on soldering (nothing fancy) I would like to know the equipment (cables, solder etc) better for the installation. Thank you in advance :)
The compatibilty stuff is mentioned here:
http://www.modchipsdirect.com/ps2-modbo-4.0.html

As for features, it plays burned PS2, PS1, any region DVDs, and Homebrew. Like I mentioned before, I've never had a problem with it.

Most of the soldering is pretty easy, but a few solder points are very small. I think you can skip one of these small ones, but you'll sacrifice PS1 games. I used 30 AWG kynar wire and it worked fine. I also recommend using flux.

Here's a pic I took. I was kinda sloppy with the wires, but I made sure all the connections were clean and solid.
26eV2xk.jpg

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Careful, ShaolinAssassin told that it my "solution" couldn't work due to some incompatibilities between FreeHDBoot and HDCombo.

mono21400

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the extremely delayed answer, I got between a travel and a moving to a larger house, I ended up using the modchip method. As the modchip supports MC booting I installed OPL and such. It wasn't too easy to solder and ended up frying one PSTwo in the process :( luckily I had ordered a second PSTwo.

Now I'm happy with the one working thank you guys so much for the support, now I can play PS2 games in the original fashion ^-^/

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the extremely delayed answer, I got between a travel and a moving to a larger house, I ended up using the modchip method. As the modchip supports MC booting I installed OPL and such. It wasn't too easy to solder and ended up frying one PSTwo in the process :( luckily I had ordered a second PSTwo.

Now I'm happy with the one working thank you guys so much for the support, now I can play PS2 games in the original fashion ^-^/
OPL works on the Slim PS2? I thought the read/write speed was too low.

Reactions: mono21400

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1