PS1/2 PS2 softmod

Trace_hunter1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trace_hunter1 said:
nukeboy95 said:

this is what I plan on doing, seeing as I can't get hold of any kind of cheat disk in the UK without paying £20+

man I hope it works...

right all worked ok up until the install where a multi-install failed at 'patching dummies'
the normal install works but when I boot the console nothing happens unless I take the memory card out
I've played through the first mission of james bond 3 times now and it just won't work. I've formatted the card using a .elf application and that didn't work, should I just assume a dodgy m card?

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
I dont't like the 007 swap trick, it damages your drive, and the lasers of all ps2s are already bad when they are new.

I softmodded my ps2 with some Action Replay + Independence Exploit + FF7(any ps1 game should do it). This requires you to have some cheat device that allows you to copy savegames to your PCps2 and a ps2 that is old enough to not block the independence exloit(don't know which models these are). Oh and you need some small usb storage of course.
I did the 007 swap trick because it was way easier to find. Besides you only need to do the swap once. Even then, I still play ps1 games using the swap trick (CASTLEVANIA!!) and still going strong. I have never had laser issues.

You can put the drive cover back on after you have swapped disks.

007 trick is simply more convenient.

Trace_hunter1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
free mcboot works occasionally now but I can't play any backups

I've tried patching with memento on one iso and esr on the other, the memento patched game booted perfectly once but then refused to do it again

I'm now stuck with two unreadable games (ESR says detecting then not a valid type or something like that) any ideas? the disks are fine I'm guessing it's just the patching that I'm doing wrong...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sephxus said:
WiiPower said:
I dont't like the 007 swap trick, it damages your drive, and the lasers of all ps2s are already bad when they are new.

I softmodded my ps2 with some Action Replay + Independence Exploit + FF7(any ps1 game should do it). This requires you to have some cheat device that allows you to copy savegames to your PCps2 and a ps2 that is old enough to not block the independence exloit(don't know which models these are). Oh and you need some small usb storage of course.
I did the 007 swap trick because it was way easier to find. Besides you only need to do the swap once. Even then, I still play ps1 games using the swap trick (CASTLEVANIA!!) and still going strong. I have never had laser issues.

You can put the drive cover back on after you have swapped disks.

007 trick is simply more convenient.

I use the swap trick to play ps1 games too, but that's totally different. When swapping a retail ps1 disc for a backup in uLaunchELF, then the drive is stopped and as far as i know the drive is spinnng the whole time in 007.

QUOTE(Trace_hunter1 @ Nov 19 2010, 12:09 AM)

I've tried patching with memento on one iso and esr on the other, the memento patched game booted perfectly once but then refused to do it again

I'm now stuck with two unreadable games (ESR says detecting then not a valid type or something like that) any ideas? the disks are fine I'm guessing it's just the patching that I'm doing wrong...

Both patchers should be fine for single layer games. If your ps2 browser can't identify your discs as video dvds, then you have either bad burns or your laser is dying, or your laser needs tweaking. Or a combination of these. Only use high quality media!

Trace_hunter1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(Trace_hunter1 @ Nov 19 2010, 12:09 AM) *

Both patchers should be fine for single layer games. If your ps2 browser can't identify your discs as video dvds, then you have either bad burns or your laser is dying, or your laser needs tweaking. Or a combination of these. Only use high quality media!

so should I be patching my games with both esr and memento? The games I tried were the path of neo and spiderman 2, I'm guessing they are both single layer and my ps2 I bought second hand so I don't know how old it is. The disks have been fine, I've used them for my wii backups, maybe I should burn them slower...

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hey uh, I got McBoot on my memory card, along with uLaunchELF and ESR. When I put in an ESR patched disk, it tries to load it and then freezes with the message "please insert a valid Playstation or Playstation 2 disk".
When I boot ESR, disk in or not, it shows a screen that says "ESR Rx", then goes to a black screen. (x being a variable, me not remembering the real number.) Is that normal?

easycrashing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going to try this, thanks.

After doing all this, could I use a backup action replay to cheat on a backup game?

Also, would a external hd work in place of the usb drive? I don't have one.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does free mcboot work when the game is burned to a dvd-rw? i want to install SMS to my old ps2 and i don't have any dvd-r's handy.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fattest said:
does free mcboot work when the game is burned to a dvd-rw? i want to install SMS to my old ps2 and i don't have any dvd-r's handy.

What's SMS? I think you might get lucky and it will read it, but i really doubt it. DVD-RWs are harder to read than DVD-Rs, and if you now consider that some ps2s, especially old ones, have trouble to even read DVD-Rs, you should forget about it. Also, if it works, i highly recommend to only use it 2-3 times and not for really gaming, it will damage your laser faster than DVD-Rs.

In case SMS is some homebrew, just run it from some small usb storage.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SMS = Simple Media System. I want to add xvid playback to my old PS2, not using it for backup loading.

I just need to run the exploit to get uLE to run and I'll install FMBC off a USB stick. I'm using the swap trick with 007 nightfire.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats exactly what I plan to use (except I got it off the Free McBoot site). Hopefully the rw works out.

A more general question, when a game disc is in the drive does Free McBoot still load or does it go to the game? Do I need to use separate memory cards for game saves and Free McBoot?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fattest said:
Thats exactly what I plan to use (except I got it off the Free McBoot site). Hopefully the rw works out.

A more general question, when a game disc is in the drive does Free McBoot still load or does it go to the game? Do I need to use separate memory cards for game saves and Free McBoot?

1 memory card for both works, but Free McBoot takes around 2 MB. You can configure it to do what you want when a disc is inserted. I prefer it to always go to the main browser no matter if there's a disc or not.

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
Just Installed this softmod on my ps2
grog.gif
I thought I couldn't do it because i coudn't find a AR MAX...
But today i remembered i bought about 3 years ago a ar disk for backing up my psp saves and it contained a ps2 backing up disk
smile.gif

I'm so excited i can't wait 1.30 hour for PES 2011 to test it
nayps3.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
trumpet-205 said:
So for DVD games you patch them before burning them, what about CD version?

There's some method to convert ps2 CD games to ps2 DVD games, but i don't have any link. After that, it needs the usual ESR patching of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.