OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I finally gave in and invested in 2 USB 2.0 aimtrak guns, and I know they work well on PC and retropi for emulation of PS1/mame games using gcon 1/2 modes, but I wondered if anyone had used them for PS2 or better for PS1 games via PS3 hardware?

Chances are I will set them up and test them out when I next get a day off, but it would be great to hear from others as to whether they work well or not.

I havent played a single light gun game in the last 18 years (since I moved out): I'm hurting for some point blank!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by KiiWii,
Reactions: escc1986

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I finally gave in and invested in 2 USB 2.0 aimtrak guns, and I know they work well on PC and retropi for emulation of PS1/mame games using gcon 1/2 modes, but I wondered if anyone had used them for PS2 or better for PS1 games via PS3 hardware?

Chances are I will set them up and test them out when I next get a day off, but it would be great to hear from others as to whether they work well or not.

I havent played a single light gun game in the last 18 years (since I moved out): I'm hurting for some point blank!

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to bump, but have you gotten this working yourself? My PS3 doesn't seem to recognise my aimtrak at all, through a TC3 original disc or a ISO dump.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to bump, but have you gotten this working yourself? My PS3 doesn't seem to recognise my aimtrak at all, through a TC3 original disc or a ISO dump.

Hey,

Well the aimtrak on PS3 cannot duplicate or crack the guncon3 encryption according to the makers (though it has been cracked on Linux).

I ended up using gunvari collection (copy) using ESR to patch (JP on PAL) and modded a PS2 with tape and straw (lol) and a copy of agents under fire or something to make a FMCB, and a PS2 HDMI adaptor to play on my HDTV. Best solution I could find... for now...

So effectively any PS2 gun games work fine, but PSX don’t work on PS2, and on a PS3 none of PS1/PS2/PS3 games would work iirc.

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Well the aimtrak on PS3 cannot duplicate or crack the guncon3 encryption according to the makers (though it has been cracked on Linux).

I ended up using gunvari collection (copy) using ESR to patch (JP on PAL) and modded a PS2 with tape and straw (lol) and a copy of agents under fire or something to make a FMCB, and a PS2 HDMI adaptor to play on my HDTV. Best solution I could find... for now...

So effectively any PS2 gun games work fine, but PSX don’t work on PS2, and on a PS3 none of PS1/PS2/PS3 games would work iirc.
Damn, that sucks. I have a similar setup too, but my PS2 has a dead laser, so I can only play games off a network share, PS3 support would have been really convenient.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn, that sucks. I have a similar setup too, but my PS2 has a dead laser, so I can only play games off a network share, PS3 support would have been really convenient.

Never say never, perhaps CFW can dodge the encryption somehow? Idk if it’s too specific for a dev to try patch out without them having an aimtrak to play with.

I’m trying to get devs to add mouse support to emulators/browser for PS4, I think PS1/2, Saturn/DC and even SNES could benefit from aimtraks for scope games :)

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two EMS Top Gun 3s. They're wireless and work with my PS2 and original Xbox, and then PC and even works for PS1 emulators on PC such as PCSX Reloaded and MAME for arcade. And for PS3 I just have Move. So that takes care of just about all lightgun games.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have two EMS Top Gun 3s. They're wireless and work with my PS2 and original Xbox, and then PC and even works for PS1 emulators on PC such as PCSX Reloaded and MAME for arcade. And for PS3 I just have Move. So that takes care of just about all lightgun games.

Hmm I could use my PS4 moves on PS3, but that doesn’t solve playing PS1 games or PS2 games on PS3, a 3-in-one-console solution for gun games would be perfect :P

I have been using supermodle3 emu on PC for some Jurassic Park shooting game, it’s quality!

I also picked up a dolphin bar for PC and my shield TV, so Wii remotes work great too for PC or android and Wii/WiiU or course.

Last edited by KiiWii,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame it's a dead genre, although I understand there's not much that hasn't been done in it and there's little room for innovation, and the games are kinda short.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a shame it's a dead genre, although I understand there's not much that hasn't been done in it and there's little room for innovation, and the games are kinda short.

With the advent of http://mars.pdp.com/ for Xbox one, I’m more hopeful of a universal light gun solution for HDTVs.

PS4 got lapy’s wild gunman/duck hunt remakes, they’re amazing.

escc1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the advent of http://mars.pdp.com/ for Xbox one, I’m more hopeful of a universal light gun solution for HDTVs.

PS4 got lapy’s wild gunman/duck hunt remakes, they’re amazing.

Any News on a Universal Light Gun ?

im interested in purchasing a Aim track light gun , does it work on freemcboot modded ps2 ?

wish the ps3 moves worked on emulation .. i love the Ps Move

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the normal ps2 emulator might be able to use them, but that's only if you have a bc system. partial bc has some support for third party controllers. netemu has no support. I mean why would they? you're not supposed to be able to play most ps2 games anyway. they wouldn't release a game on psn that required another controller or supported another controller when it comes to ps2 classics.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

upload_2020-8-23_1-38-47.png

emu = full bc; gxemu = partial bc; netemu = ps2 classics or isos depending on if you're using cobra.

escc1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the normal ps2 emulator might be able to use them, but that's only if you have a bc system. partial bc has some support for third party controllers. netemu has no support. I mean why would they? you're not supposed to be able to play most ps2 games anyway. they wouldn't release a game on psn that required another controller or supported another controller when it comes to ps2 classics.

View attachment 222533

emu = full bc; gxemu = partial bc; netemu = ps2 classics or isos depending on if you're using cobra.

Thank you for the reply Pinky ... im just not famlier with this knowledge

are you referring to emulation on ps3 ?

which ps2 emulator ?

What is Bc System ?

again sorry if i dont understand the knowledge im a noob who want s to understand , Thank you again

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply Pinky ... im just not famlier with this knowledge

are you referring to emulation on ps3 ?

which ps2 emulator ?

What is Bc System ?

again sorry if i dont understand the knowledge im a noob who want s to understand , Thank you again

yes, ps2 emulation on the ps3. there are three emulators depending on if you're fully backwards compatible (ps2emu), software compatible (gxemu), or using ps2 classics (netemu). only full backwards compatible systems can use a lot of peripherals. there's no need to program them into the ps2 classics or non-bc systems when you're buying something online with no access to something tangible like a peripheral. remember: you're not supposed to be able to play most games. the emulator is quite good for what it is. as you'll see, no official ps2 classics game requires or can use a peripheral.

escc1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, ps2 emulation on the ps3. there are three emulators depending on if you're fully backwards compatible (ps2emu), software compatible (gxemu), or using ps2 classics (netemu). only full backwards compatible systems can use a lot of peripherals. there's no need to program them into the ps2 classics or non-bc systems when you're buying something online with no access to something tangible like a peripheral. remember: you're not supposed to be able to play most games. the emulator is quite good for what it is. as you'll see, no official ps2 classics game requires or can use a peripheral.

Thank you for explaining it to me much better , i appreciate that

yeah your right .. the ps2 games never used a move controller back in the past so the program will not recognize the move controller , i clearly understand

im wondering was the ps3 move ever big ?

why hasn't there been more development on the move to use with other consoles or emulation with games on the move on ps3 ?

Do you know if there is a way to play ps2 games with a dolphen bar wiimote anywhere besides pc ?

Last edited by escc1986,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem is that it's closed source. ida has to be used and reverse engineering to know what bytes and registers do what. it's a very lengthy process. I think that's why cobra is such a breakthrough. it allows us much more freedom while patching cobra into the actual firmware. I don't know of any way of using a wiimote for ps2 games. the problem is that ps2 mode is closed, which is why the system seemingly restarts. a lot of things don't work due to that. that's why fan speed has to be static as the patch for fan control can't be modified while in ps2 mode.

escc1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem is that it's closed source. ida has to be used and reverse engineering to know what bytes and registers do what. it's a very lengthy process. I think that's why cobra is such a breakthrough. it allows us much more freedom while patching cobra into the actual firmware. I don't know of any way of using a wiimote for ps2 games. the problem is that ps2 mode is closed, which is why the system seemingly restarts. a lot of things don't work due to that. that's why fan speed has to be static as the patch for fan control can't be modified while in ps2 mode.

gotcha !!! bummer ... i get the point ... well maby the development will come later down the line

i enjoy the ps2 light gun games , but only have played them with a controller not a light gun plus i only have a newer tv so yeah , thought there was a way

but can you answer ... do you know if you could use aimtrak on modded freemcbot ps2's ?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably. if it works on a ps2 normally, it should still work. I don't have a modded freemcboot system though. I have a modchip (matrix infinity clone). it works pretty well as is. there's only one game that gives me trouble as a burn while it works perfectly fine with the legit disc. that is mega man anniversary collection. games run fine, but the opening with the ape that has the arm cannon skips heavily.

escc1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably. if it works on a ps2 normally, it should still work. I don't have a modded freemcboot system though. I have a modchip (matrix infinity clone). it works pretty well as is. there's only one game that gives me trouble as a burn while it works perfectly fine with the legit disc. that is mega man anniversary collection. games run fine, but the opening with the ape that has the arm cannon skips heavily.

thats pretty great , how you have a modchip for your ps2 :) .. glad it works well for you , im happy to hear

yeah im thinking of getting an aimtrk gun , but i have heard positive and negitive reviews ... plus i contacted them asking about free mcboot ps's if they work and they suggest not buying the gun since its not been tested in that manner , so i dont know

say i just asked a question ... so mad dog for the ps3 ... does it require only hdmi output settings or can i use my ps2 composite cable to play mad dog ?

im asking due to my hdmi went out on my ps3 a month ago and i am only using composite video

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is it difficult?