Hardware Ps3 Controller on Wii?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 and PS4 controllers use standard HID. PS3 controllers do require a special init sequence, which libsicksaxis provides; not sure about PS4 controllers.

To get HID controllers working in Wii games, you'd need to do a bit more than a cIOS hack, since IIRC IOS doesn't handle the application layer for Bluetooth. You'd need to hack into each game.
I would like to at least just plug in a controller I have(wired, logitech, has switch on back to go between direct input and xinput) and be able to use it as a classic controller. a bit far fetched but perhaps something to patch games that looks for and patches the section in the iso that handles the controller input?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to at least just plug in a controller I have(wired, logitech, has switch on back to go between direct input and xinput) and be able to use it as a classic controller. a bit far fetched but perhaps something to patch games that looks for and patches the section in the iso that handles the controller input?

That's not possible globally. The Wii is a single user system and doesn't have shared drivers. As GerbilSoft said you would have to patch each game individually and have something in the IOS redirecting the USB signals.

Reactions: Ryccardo

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not possible globally. The Wii is a single user system and doesn't have shared drivers. As GerbilSoft said you would have to patch each game individually and have something in the IOS redirecting the USB signals.
...well...whatever, the wii has been more of a side thing so I don't know this stuff well. But, I was saying, have a program on pc find and modify the section for the iso you give it that handles input, which would need to be done by the user for each game, that is unless the section is to different from game to game and it doesn't work the way i think it does. If anything I'm done pushing this.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...well...whatever, the wii has been more of a side thing so I don't know this stuff well. But, I was saying, have a program on pc find and modify the section for the iso you give it that handles input, which would need to be done by the user for each game, that is unless the section is to different from game to game and it doesn't work the way i think it does. If anything I'm done pushing this.

There are no Wii games that use USB HID controllers. The only USB support for the Wii is for specific controllers and the protocol stack was rewritten each time to support them. If it was a standard computer with an OS like Dolphin on a PC replacing inputs would be easier but as it is you would have to identify each controller input routine in the SDK libraries and redirect them to custom code that interprets the HID messages and replaces them with the standard controller button codes.

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then there's this available for pre-order on Amazon. I can't get confirmation whether it's able to mimic a classic controller or how many buttons it actually maps. But it uses the same port connector as a Wii CC and supports lots of bluetooth controllers.

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes-classic/

according to questions and answers on amazon:
Question:
Does the receiver work with a wii/wii u when plugged into a wii remote?
Answer:
I couldn't not get it to work
By Zatdamsasquatch on January 11, 2017

and

Can this also be used with snes virtual console games on the wii? the adapter would fit into a wiimote port.
Answer:
Yes and no.
It IS recognized by the wiimote, but the button layout is wrong. I know there's a way to reprogram the buttons/select different input methods.
By Amazon Customer on February 13, 2017

Last edited by SonicMC,

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is that 8bitdo updates firmwares. There is one in both the receiver and their controllers. By updating the receiver, it allows the recognition of different input methods. The latest update of the SNES30 also comes with button remapping software. Working together, you would think there would be a fix compatible with the Wii. Due to the date of the responses posted above, made prior to more recent beta firmware releases, I still think there's a chance that recent updates might have improved compatibility. I might just have to break down and buy a receiver to prove it to myself that it WON'T work. Then I can go back to using my original NES and SNES controllers wired through my Wii's Gamecube port so I don't obsess about lag.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is that 8bitdo updates firmwares. There is one in both the receiver and their controllers. By updating the receiver, it allows the recognition of different input methods. The latest update of the SNES30 also comes with button remapping software. Working together, you would think there would be a fix compatible with the Wii. Due to the date of the responses posted above, made prior to more recent beta firmware releases, I still think there's a chance that recent updates might have improved compatibility. I might just have to break down and buy a receiver to prove it to myself that it WON'T work. Then I can go back to using my original NES and SNES controllers wired through my Wii's Gamecube port so I don't obsess about lag.
how the heck did you wire those into a gc port?

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: jt_1258

Clymetix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, However Nintendont Does Allow PS3 / PS4 Controllers Through USB (and alot more) but not outside the app but before you turn on your PS3/PS4 Controller Open the Game then Double Tap the PS Button, (make sure native control is OFF)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, However Nintendont Does Allow PS3 / PS4 Controllers Through USB (and alot more) but not outside the app but before you turn on your PS3/PS4 Controller Open the Game then Double Tap the PS Button, (make sure native control is OFF)

This has already been covered in the thread. :/ It's also been dead since March.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...