Hardware PS4 makes a groaning noise

Riversong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I woke up this morning to the sound of my PS4 making a groaning / whirring sound. I ejected the disc that I had left in there but that didn't stop sound. I then restarted my PS4 but that didn't stop at either. I am not sure if this is normal and I can't recall hearing this sound before today. I haven't been paying too much attention to the sounds my PS4 has been making so it is entirely possible this is been going on for a while. When I first woke up I thought it was the sound of my house settling. I found out it was the PS4 when I started moving closer to it. Any ideas as to what this might be? Should I be concerned? Please let me know if you need any other details.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
There are a few things that can cause noise in the PS4: HDD, APU fan, PSU, BD drive.

Since the BD drive wasn't in use, my money's on the HDD or the fan. Make sure you don't leave any programs running in the background (streaming apps like Netflix or whatever, the browser with Youtube tabs set with the 'Autoplay' tick turned on, etc) that could cause the HDD to keep spinning. There could be an app that's "polling" it every few seconds or so to keep it from entering idle mode. Is this the original HDD, or did you replace it with a cheap HDD?

Either way, try powering it off instead of putting it into sleep mode. If that doesn't help, maybe just unplug it.

Note: If it's the HDD, you could potentially lose your saved games soon (that's how HDD's die; they start making noises and then they die shortly after). Make sure you back them up on a USB thumb stick or something if you don't want to lose any 15h+ progress.

Last edited by DSpider,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I woke up this morning to the sound of my PS4 making a groaning / whirring sound. I ejected the disc that I had left in there but that didn't stop sound. I then restarted my PS4 but that didn't stop at either. I am not sure if this is normal and I can't recall hearing this sound before today. I haven't been paying too much attention to the sounds my PS4 has been making so it is entirely possible this is been going on for a while. When I first woke up I thought it was the sound of my house settling. I found out it was the PS4 when I started moving closer to it. Any ideas as to what this might be? Should I be concerned? Please let me know if you need any other details.
Your PS4 is undead :P

Anyway, the bearings in fans will eventually go bad, which can cause a loud grinding/whirring noise, does that sound like what happened to yours?
I had it happen to the fan in my laptop. It still worked fine for a few weeks but the noise was so loud, it was really unpleasant to use the laptop. Eventually a few weeks later the fan gave up completely and my laptop would start beeping to warn of overheating before turning off a few seconds later. I had it fixed by the manufacturer at my own expense, luckily they didn't charge much for the repair.
The fan can continue working like that for a few weeks or months but it will eventually give up completely. You can prolong its life by a few months and lessen the noise by disassembling the fan and lubing it up (someone suggested molybdenum oil to me) but it will eventually give up anyway so the only long term solution is to replace the fan.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Your PS4 is undead :P

Anyway, the bearings in fans will eventually go bad, which can cause a loud grinding/whirring noise, does that sound like what happened to yours?
I had it happen to the fan in my laptop. It still worked fine for a few weeks but the noise was so loud, it was really unpleasant to use the laptop. Eventually a few weeks later the fan gave up completely and my laptop would start beeping to warn of overheating before turning off a few seconds later. I had it fixed by the manufacturer at my own expense, luckily they didn't charge much for the repair.
The fan can continue working like that for a few weeks or months but it will eventually give up completely. You can prolong its life by a few months and lessen the noise by disassembling the fan and lubing it up (someone suggested molybdenum oil to me) but it will eventually give up anyway so the only long term solution is to replace the fan.
It can also be the bearings in the harddrive. That's why it's important to find where the noise is coming from.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
It can also be the bearings in the harddrive. That's why it's important to find where the noise is coming from.
Hard drives can suffer from it, but the probability is so minimal that is the last thing that could happen and the hard drive would immediately stop working because of that anyway because of how the plates need to be at an almost perfect position and constant speed.

Riversong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm going to take it into a local repair guy. I'm too afraid to fix it myself I'm not that technical savvy to disassemble and reassemble something. Currently I'm working on backing up my save data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended