PS4HEN, a Homebrew ENabler, releases for PS4 4.05

ps4_homebrew-768x576.jpg

(Thanks to @OfficialThibobo for the above image.)
VVildCard777 has just released a homebrew enabler in the form of a binary payload for PS4 firmware 4.05.[prebreak]1[/prebreak] In addition to announcing his development on twitter, he also gives a hefty amount of credit to users flat_z for his writeup on how to handle PS4 Fake PKGs and SELF / FSELF, notzecoxao and psxdev for their assistance with the project, and IDC for his codebase. This homebrew enabler allows PS4 users on this firmware to not only launch homebrew applications, custom themes, BGM, and packages, but will also eventually allow users to run their backup PS4 games.

This enabler is available through VV1LD's GitHub page here, with instructions found in the included ReadMe. Users must first run the kernel exploit (either from browser or manual) and inject the payload that way (how to run kernel exploit) Afterwards, it's as simple as installing the desired homebrew pkg through Settings/☆Debug Settings/Game/Package Installer and running it as an application. Pictured above is a test homebrew package, which simply prints a "Hello world!" message on the screen.

Note that it's recommended to disable your PS4's internet connection before installing the package, as some users have reported a prompt asking to install the latest firmware. The kernel exploit currently will not work on any firmwares above 4.05, so don't update if you plan to make use of this.

:arrow:Source

Last edited by Meteor7,

DrROBschiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stuck on Firmware 4.74 thanks to all 5.0+ firmwares requiring a working Blu Ray drive (ps4 error e-801809a8)

So gone are the days of me using mine as a working Digital only machine (i dont have the married blu ray daughter board)

Any hopes that PS4 hacking can help my machine no longer be a damn paperweight thanks to SONY and their shitty firmware?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wont do anything since my PS4 2.57 isn't update yet. I will wait for them to release a fully 100 percent complete file to install. I dont want to do it step by step every time.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... not sure there's enough stuff I want to bother staying on a low firmware. Possibly once firmwares aren't static and can be updated after hacking I'll keep mine offline... once I buy one ;)

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final fantasy bundle is all over GS and it's 3.55, bit pricy though

Just scored a bundle due to Gamestop running the trade 4 games in and get 60% extra credit. 3.55 on the dot! The lady at Jersey Gardens Mall said there were four left after the one I just bought.

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
Just scored a bundle due to Gamestop running the trade 4 games in and get 60% extra credit. 3.55 on the dot! The lady at Jersey Gardens Mall said there were four left after the one I just bought.
This bundle is Gamestop exclusive so i guess they've got plenty left, esp it was released the same month of PS4pro.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Exciting news. My PS4 is still at 4.07; hopefully something coming soon!

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hypothetical question: At this point w the 4.05 exploit and future HB development etc, is there any real reason to hang on to an old 1.76 fw fat PS4, if I'm able to trade it for a PS4 pro on 4.05? (I'd like 4k gaming since the og PS4 can't do that)

Thanks for any feedback!

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hypothetical question: At this point w the 4.05 exploit and future HB development etc, is there any real reason to hang on to an old 1.76 fw fat PS4, if I'm able to trade it for a PS4 pro on 4.05? (I'd like 4k gaming since the og PS4 can't do that)

Thanks for any feedback!
There's going to come a time when 4.05 is going to do all that 1.76 does and more so yes, if you are able to swap it for a 4.05 Pro that I personally say go for it... Hypothetically speaking ;)

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's going to come a time when 4.05 is going to do all that 1.76 does and more so yes, if you are able to swap it for a 4.05 Pro that I personally say go for it... Hypothetically speaking ;)

That's what I figure. I just was wondering for end user (as in not a developer) if 1.76 will end up allowing anything 'better' than what the 4.05 exploit should/will have in the end.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I figure. I just was wondering for end user (as in not a developer) if 1.76 will end up allowing anything 'better' than what the 4.05 exploit should/will have in the end.
I think it will be more trouble than its worth to resign newer games to run on older FW's (if it's even possible?) people will probably just update as newer FW Kexploits are released?

Hoping really hard for a 4.55 Kexploit release myself :P

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it will be more trouble than its worth to resign newer games to run on older FW's (if it's even possible?)

Games declare a minimum firmware version more often out of dependencies than forcing people to update. While is easy to declare a lower minimum firmware version for the game package to install, the game crashes if it tries to use something of the system it doesn't exist. Most crash on launch because they do a small dependency check, spiral into panic and crashes.

Reactions: ploggy

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
just some observations on the platform. The OG ps4 is fine for 1080p users.
multiplats going forwards will be either on PC or best on Xbox one x.
the ps4 improved graphics modes are rather bad tbh. Often having you pick fps or resolution but rarely both.
there are very few exclusives this late in the life cycle.
most of the consoles best games will be resold as definitive bundles on the ps5 with better graphics.

the only reasons to buy a pro are:
1) convenience
2) home brew might offer better pro enhanced modes, but very very unlikely.

my conclusion is that if you have a standard ps4, don't kill yourself for a pro. If god of war is infinitely better on pro, or any of the few exclusives that will release before the ps5, then you can just buy them on ps5, or buy them and a pro when the price crashes after ps5 release.

the same thing happened with the new 3ds, and I don't know of anybody crying about not picking one up on a low firmware. But as always, if the price is right, and the opportunity arises, then go for it. But we will probably end up with a firmware flasher sometime down the line anyway.

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just some observations on the platform. The OG ps4 is fine for 1080p users.
multiplats going forwards will be either on PC or best on Xbox one x.
the ps4 improved graphics modes are rather bad tbh. Often having you pick fps or resolution but rarely both.
there are very few exclusives this late in the life cycle.
most of the consoles best games will be resold as definitive bundles on the ps5 with better graphics.

the only reasons to buy a pro are:
1) convenience
2) home brew might offer better pro enhanced modes, but very very unlikely.

my conclusion is that if you have a standard ps4, don't kill yourself for a pro. If god of war is infinitely better on pro, or any of the few exclusives that will release before the ps5, then you can just buy them on ps5, or buy them and a pro when the price crashes after ps5 release.

the same thing happened with the new 3ds, and I don't know of anybody crying about not picking one up on a low firmware. But as always, if the price is right, and the opportunity arises, then go for it. But we will probably end up with a firmware flasher sometime down the line anyway.

I remember buying it at launch, so I was already ready for Gateway back then. As for Pro, don't forget that in order to play 4K games, more than likely, you will need a patch which you can't do yet on this system. That's why I settled for the Final Fantasy system. Plus, I know when Pros that are 4.05 or even 5.01 if that exploit comes out, become more common, I can trade up since my unit is a limited edition.

So, yeah a standard PS4 Slim should do. Especially since it's so small as well. The PS4 scene seems to be blowing up the quickest I've ever seen a scene rise and I've been in various scenes since the days of the Xbox 360 JTAG. Good things WILL come.

Last edited by skydancer93,

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country

Thanks for any feedback!
PS4pro is more a unicorn to find since the first shipment sold out within days, i'd trade in a heart beat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Bye bye