Homebrew [PSA] The lastest mGBA nightly runs pretty fast.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using the Development builds found in the Downloads section?
And yeah be sure to use the BIOS file as well, I am running mGBA in a N3DS and most GBA games run good.
It just sucks what bad shape retroarch is in. Mostly because gpsp runs basically every single game full speed.

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why use retroarch and not an injector? just curious, because i can think of some valid reasons myself

I mostly use retroarch or other homebrew emulators when I want to use fast-forward or savestates, such as when playing Pokemon romhacks. Everything else I play as injects.

Are you using the Development builds found in the Downloads section?
And yeah be sure to use the BIOS file as well, I am running mGBA in a N3DS and most GBA games run good.

Yep, I downloaded a dev nightly build a couple days ago, but never pointed it to the BIOS file so Pokemon Emerald ran like crap (on new3DS).

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
gotta ask, how's GB/GBC emulation on this build?
im asking because the 0.61 build had good emulation for GBC games but GB games couldnt be colored and super gameboy features couldnt be used either, so its only slightly better than gameyob 3DS because of the quality of the emulation, but gameyob DSi is still smoother and more fully featured

EDIT: just checked, SGB and GBC support has been indeed expanded on, infact, as soon as i started donkey kong the SGB border and palette auto applied, good bye gameyob DSi, hello mGBA

EDIT2: azure dreams boots to GBC mode and not SGB mode, therefore no borders, is there any way to pick what mode is chosen?

Last edited by brunocar,

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there clock support? I'm playing through all of the Pokemon games in order, and importing my collection up as I go. I figured that I could throw in a few ROM hacks into the list, to mix things up a little bit (although I'd probably be limited in what I can get from those, unless I take a couple minor creative liberties and make as-close-as-possible versions manually instead of straight-up porting my critters). However, I've heard that injections aren't going to work for real-time clock functions when the injected game is a hack.

I could always play on my PC, but having it on something portable is a big help. (I'm a college student, and my biggest length of time to play is a few hours between classes, where the break isn't long enough to bother going home just to turn right around and come back, but long enough to be rather boring with nothing to do.)

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone knows how to run Super Game Boy ROMs in regular-old-gameboy-not-super-game-boy mode, I'd be appreciative. The borders are cool and all, but... Eh.

Otherwise two thumbs up for the incredible and surprising progress!

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If anyone knows how to run Super Game Boy ROMs in regular-old-gameboy-not-super-game-boy mode, I'd be appreciative. The borders are cool and all, but... Eh.

Otherwise two thumbs up for the incredible and surprising progress!
i honestly dont know, try getting a GB bios, with the GBC bios some games still boot on emulated super gameboy mode

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMFG! They finally fixed the biggest pet peeves of this emulator on this v0.7.0 nightly build; you can finally put your save states (.ss1 , .ss2 , etc) and saves (.sav) in separate folders from the roms (.gb , .gbc , .gba) .

That config.ini file where you specify under [ports.3ds] ,
savestatePath=/mGBA/savestate/
savegamePath=/mGBA/saves/
screenshotPath=/mGBA/screenshots/

Make sure you create those folders in the mGBA folder.

It didn't work back then, but it does now. No more scrolling through an entire mess of jumbled up everything.

Reactions: SaffronXL

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMFG! They finally fixed the biggest pet peeves of this emulator on this v0.7.0 nightly build; you can finally put your save states (.ss1 , .ss2 , etc) and saves (.sav) in separate folders from the roms (.gb , .gbc , .gba) .

That config.ini file where you specify under [ports.3ds] ,
savestatePath=/mGBA/savestate/
savegamePath=/mGBA/saves/
screenshotPath=/mGBA/screenshots/

Make sure you create those folders in the mGBA folder.

It didn't work back then, but it does now. No more scrolling through an entire mess of jumbled up everything.
You're welcome. :D

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
well the new nightly has this feature were you can pick bios for GB, GBC, SGB

but problem is the bios's dont show.

Last edited by Flame,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the new nightly has this feature were you can pick bios for GB, GBC, SGB

but problem is the bios's dont show.

I can confirm your bug when going back and forth between v0.6.1 and v0.7.0 .

On v0.7.0, if you open up a game, press (X) > Configure > Select GBA BIOS path (dunno about the GB, GBC, and SGB options).
Picking your BIOS will not work.

Looking at the config.ini file, a new entry is made under [ports.3ds]
gba.bios=/mGBA/bios/[your specified bios].bin

However, v0.7.0 only works under the old entry:
bios=/mGBA/bios/[your specified bios].bin

I tried this with Golden Sun (U) switching between 'gba_bios_Normmatt.bin' and 'gba_bios.bin'

You have to manually edit the config.ini entry until this gets sorted.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I can confirm your bug when going back and forth between v0.6.1 and v0.7.0 .

On v0.7.0, if you open up a game, press (X) > Configure > Select GBA BIOS path (dunno about the GB, GBC, and SGB options).
Picking your BIOS will not work.

Looking at the config.ini file, a new entry is made under [ports.3ds]
gba.bios=/mGBA/bios/[your specified bios].bin

However, v0.7.0 only works under the old entry:
bios=/mGBA/bios/[your specified bios].bin

I tried this with Golden Sun (U) switching between 'gba_bios_Normmatt.bin' and 'gba_bios.bin'

You have to manually edit the config.ini entry until this gets sorted.

may i ask which config.ini file i dont have one? if so were do i crate one?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
may i ask which config.ini file i dont have one? if so were do i crate one?

No problem. Stick your 3DS SD card into your computer. Go to mGBA folder. Inside this folder, there should be a config.ini file.

[SD Card drive] > mGBA > config.ini

You can open this file and edit it with Window's Notepad or any text editor, but it's kinda bundled up. The preferred program is Programmers Notepad but not needed.

- Open config.ini with Notepad
- Press Ctrl + F to open up Find
- type in [ports.3ds] , Find Next
- right after the ] character, type in your bios path

for example, mine is:
bios=/mGBA/bios/gba_bios_Normmatt.bin

, which has a subfolder called bios inside the folder mGBA
My chosen bios is gba_bios_Normmatt.bin

Make sure you do not leave any spaces in what you see as a single run-on line, and that the 'bios=/mGBA/...' entry is the only in there.

Edit : if it's too confusing on Notepad, get Programmer's Notepad here: http://www.pnotepad.org/
When you install mGBA, the app is supposed to create that file. If you don't have one, I can share you mine.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Flame
D

Deleted User

No problem. Stick your 3DS SD card into your computer. Go to mGBA folder. Inside this folder, there should be a config.ini file.

You can open this file with edit it with Window's Notepad or any text editor, but it's kinda bundled up. The preferred program is Programmers Notepad but not needed.

for example, mine is:

Make sure you do not leave any spaces in what you see as a single run-on line, and that the 'bios=/mGBA/...' entry is the only in there.
Is emulation really faster now with an BIOS file? Endrift told me a while ago, that with Version 0.6.1 the Emulation is slightly slower with an BIOS file and I shouldn´t bother.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

You can open this file and edit it with Window's Notepad or any text editor, but it's kinda bundled up. The preferred program is Programmers Notepad but not needed.

for example, mine is:

Edit : if it's too confusing on Notepad, get Programmer's Notepad here: http://www.pnotepad.org/
When you install mGBA, the app is supposed to create that file. If you don't have one, I can share you mine.

thank you so much. but i find out what my problem was. i had put my bios in my root of my sd card.

the bios picker works; for the GBA one anyway.

need to check for the others now.

edit: got GB one to work.

Last edited by Flame,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is emulation really faster now with an BIOS file? Endrift told me a while ago, that with Version 0.6.1 the Emulation is slightly slower with an BIOS file and I shouldn´t bother.
The answer isn't straight forward. Some users elect to use a certain BIOS for speed or stability gains they might have on a particular game for certain game-play sections. It highly depends on a case-by-case setup.

What endrift says isn't wrong. You generally won't see a benefit using an external BIOS vs the mGBA internal BIOS, on average/most of the time. The option to use BIOS are for those who codes their own / borrow a special built BIOS, trying to sequeeze a few extra FPS and what not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended