Hardware psp 2000 turn on without battery

jamespoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
got a psp 3000 today for $8nzd from a salvation army store lady there said they could not test it as it had no battery or charger that why they sold it cheap

is there a way to test it to make sure it works or see if it has any problems before i buy a battery for it i know they only cost less then 6nzd including shipping off ebay just don't want to have to wait 2/5 weeks for it to arrive if there is no way to test it i may have to get a battery for it if its broken i can sell it for parts and get like $15nzd or so

I meant psp 3000 im not sure how to change title

Last edited by jamespoo,

Algester

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you will need to find a PSP barrel jack charger cable (a bit hard) and an external battery pack (should be easy), as the PSP can be powered from the DC jack without any batteries if you have any working PSP chargers still laying around they will work as well

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Also, if you don't have any charger that will work, you can just use one of those old Motorola chargers that use Mini-USB (that port the PSP has at the top to connect through USB). However, keep in mind that connecting to a USB rather than a charger that uses the same plug, it won't work, as there won't be enough electricity to keep it running without battery.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
wait I'm pretty sure you can't power the PSP without a battery through the USB jack since its not hardware supported...
You can if it's the 3004 model (g7-g9). It will charge while being off and with the USB it will turn on for at least 1 second, which is enough to check if it works.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Look at the plug in the link i posted
I did, it's USB to Mini-USB/PSP power plug, which, as I said, won't work unless you have a converter to turn the USB side into a power plug and plug it into an outlet!

alhrad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
USB charging on the psp 3000 isn't very reliable, particularly not without a battery. Check your home equipment if you've got something with a fitting barrel plug that does around 5v, centre positive. I've seen compatible plugs on things like TV set top boxes, external HDDs, routers, powered USB hubs etc

Reactions: ThoD

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Also, if you don't have any charger that will work, you can just use one of those old Motorola chargers that use Mini-USB (that port the PSP has at the top to connect through USB). However, keep in mind that connecting to a USB rather than a charger that uses the same plug, it won't work, as there won't be enough electricity to keep it running without battery.
FYI, the PSone (Slim, white console) charger will fir and work with a PSP. I believe the PS2 Slim chargers work as well.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
FYI, the PSone (Slim, white console) charger will fir and work with a PSP. I believe the PS2 Slim chargers work as well.
When did I say it won't? What I said is that regular USB instead of charger won't work, not that charger won't work, charger is the only thing that will for certain! Any charger with the right plug and around 5V will do!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: