Hardware PSP buying guide?

ablebodyoungman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone.

So I've just been reading through the Which PSP Should I Get? thread and I was wondering if there's any kind of PSP buying guide floating around?

Basically I've been tinkering around with different systems and modding bits n pieces as far as my noob abilities allow.
Recently I saw some people modding old PSP and it looked cool and so I've bought a couple of cheap ones and ebay and will have a crack at cleaning them up, modding them and adding games.
However I realized I should speak to people with more experience before I buy any more. So I guess my main questions are.

1. Is there any model of PSP that's not worth buying? (I know psp street is garbage)
2. When buying psp, is there a certain price you shouldn't go over?
3. Buying a cheap psp that needs repair. If you don't mind fixing small things like buttons or a screen, is it ever ok to buy a damaged psp cheap to fix? Or are you throwing money and time down a hole.
4. When buying parts, where's the best place to source them? What places should you avoid?
5. Any other buying tips for second hand PSPs?

Pockie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant link it but but there is a thread pinned on this form by Rydian that talks about the different PSPs in general to give you an idea of what they can and can't do. If you are wondering which to get, I recommend checking that out. I personally own a psp 2000 and looking in the market for a 3000 as well. But really, it is up to you and what you want to do with them.

2. If you are buying a PSP used and in good working condition it should not be over $80 I see that as an average price, in my opinion.

3. I think it is okay to buy a PSP that needs repairing so long as you are confident that you can repair it and it is just maybe one or two things it need repairing, again that is just me. I have not opened a PSP before but I have repaired the top screens of DS Lites before, and having just one thing to fix I feel is worth buying it as buying the parts does not exceed the costs of buying one that already works.

4. Honestly I buy them off ebay (the parts) but I know others buy them on aliexpress, especially if you are trying to buy in bulk, just be wary. I usually buy them off of people that sold many units already and have good feedback.

5. Just know what you are looking for and ask questions if you need clarification :)

Again these are just my opinions really, you are welcome to take them into consideration. I am in the same boat as you and am very new to this but look forward to seeing what I can accomplish. Best of luck to you.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Is there any model of PSP that's not worth buying? (I know psp street is garbage) - The PSP Street, PSP GO (unless you care about Dualshock 3 support.)

2. When buying psp, is there a certain price you shouldn't go over? - Normally, most PSP's I see go around are atleast $50 or $60 (unless new, unopened, or is a PSP GO/Street since not that many units were produced afaik.)

3. Buying a cheap psp that needs repair. If you don't mind fixing small things like buttons or a screen, is it ever ok to buy a damaged psp cheap to fix? Or are you throwing money and time down a hole. - That depends on you and how much you know about replacing parts or components. If you want to have no troubles, buy a used PSP with little to no damage, but if your trying to look for a really great deal buy one that is broken that you know can be repaired.

4. When buying parts, where's the best place to source them? What places should you avoid? - That, I do not know, google is your best source.

5. Any other buying tips for second hand PSPs?
- By second hand PSP I think you mean buying a second PSP just for hacking? Well if you already have a PSP I think you can downgrade it and just install CFW easily (I may be incorrect on that.) But if you want to buy a second PSP I would recommend looking for killer deals on the PSP Go if you don't have that model. If you can find any around $50 buy one, since they go for $100 or more dollars, also make sure (in general.) If you want to buy a PSP 1000, PSP 2000, PSP 3000, or PSP GO, check on what model you think you would like best because it varies from person to person and preference, and check the condition of the console & also buy a protective case or screensaver since I think the PSP is more vulnerable to being broken when dropped.

-PSP's do not have IPS Screens afaik.
-And only the PSP GO (PSP Street might?), and PS Vita all have Dualshock 3 support afaik.

Gl

ablebodyoungman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I cant link it but but there is a thread pinned on this form by Rydian that talks about the different PSPs in general to give you an idea of what they can and can't do. If you are wondering which to get, I recommend checking that out. I personally own a psp 2000 and looking in the market for a 3000 as well. But really, it is up to you and what you want to do with them.

2. If you are buying a PSP used and in good working condition it should not be over $80 I see that as an average price, in my opinion.

3. I think it is okay to buy a PSP that needs repairing so long as you are confident that you can repair it and it is just maybe one or two things it need repairing, again that is just me. I have not opened a PSP before but I have repaired the top screens of DS Lites before, and having just one thing to fix I feel is worth buying it as buying the parts does not exceed the costs of buying one that already works.

4. Honestly I buy them off ebay (the parts) but I know others buy them on aliexpress, especially if you are trying to buy in bulk, just be wary. I usually buy them off of people that sold many units already and have good feedback.

5. Just know what you are looking for and ask questions if you need clarification :)

Again these are just my opinions really, you are welcome to take them into consideration. I am in the same boat as you and am very new to this but look forward to seeing what I can accomplish. Best of luck to you.

Hey thanks for your reply.

I personally own a psp 2000 and looking in the market for a 3000 as well. But really, it is up to you and what you want to do with them.

So far I've got a 1000 and a 2000 with a couple of others on the way. Pretty much I'll fix them up, mod them, load games onto them and sell them to some close friends and keep a couple for myself. I'm going through a tinkering phase atm with old consoles.

Cool.
- So far I paid around $100au for a psp1000. It was over what I should of spent but it came with a bunch of accessories and games which I can resell.
- I also got 2000 for around $40. Was in really nice condition but was lacking a battery.
- I also went on a random ebay buy on from a Japanese seller and got a Japanese PSP 2000 for around $40. However due to me misreading some Engrish in the description, I think it may have a faulty screen that I'll need to repair.
- I also picked up another psp1000 for around $15. The seller listed it as faulty but from reading the description I think it might just have a dud battery. So hopefully it's just the battery that's bad.
- I got another psp1000 from a local seller. It's got a small crack on the screen and is having issues reading UMD. I'm not too worried about the UMD's cause everything will be on a SD card. The small crack could be an issue. This will be a fun repair job I guess.

3.I think it is okay to buy a PSP that needs repairing so long as you are confident that you can repair it and it is just maybe one or two things it need repairing, again that is just me.

I've watched a few videos and I think it's something I can do. Basic stuff like put in a new screen, change buttons, put on a new casing. I think it'll be a good way to learn about it.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Pockie

Pockie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem. Let me know how it goes for you, that's cool you already have a few consoles, I am still looking for one of my own that I look forward to customizing, or at least trying, as well.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought my PSP Go used for about $70 5 years ago. Great, never regretted it. Scratched screen, but that's only a minor annoyance. The 16G memory without having to spend extra on a stick is great. My previous 3000 only had a 2G stick and at the time the Pro Duos at 16 or more cost as much as that Go anyway.

They're also easy to hack, pretty vulnerable. The only thing you're sacrificing really is the size of the system, as it can get a little awkward when playing action games like MGS Peacewalker or Dissidia due to the joystick placement.

That and a UMD slot, if for some reason you really need that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.