Hardware PSP Will Not Recognize 256GB

spencer5976

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Have two 64GB Micros and the PSP reads 128GB, I can also use one 128GB micro, but I can't get two 128GB to work (Format). I am using a CR-5400. Any Help would be much appreciated.

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vaguely recall someone attempting this a few months ago and determining that the SD controller inside the PSP didn't support that large of a capacity.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is true that if you use the PSP's internal formatting utility, it likely won't recognize it... neither the controller nor Sony's firmware for the PSP were prepared to handle that much storage.

However, it's also my understanding the last few people that were able to successfully do it, used the PC connectivity to format the combined memory stick from there... preferably in FAT32.

spencer5976

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I connect the PSP to a PC the card only reads 128GB, but if I put said card directly to PC it reads the full 256GB. I have also tried all types of formatting software and Windows 7 built in formatting software, to no avail. I have a lot of movies and music and games.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
having similar problem, just got 2x 128gb sdcards and the photofast dual slot adapter.

two old 8gb cards I have laying around works for 16gb total, but I can't get the 128gb combo to work. it works fine on PC, formatted as fat32. it also works via SUB connection, I can transfer files via PC. but the psp says "can't read the card go format it"

if I do that it seems to work on the PSP but the contents on PC as well as the cards name is all garbled junk, tons of garbeld files and folders of various sizes... so I can't get any content on it that way.

is there something you need on the psp side? like a plugin or special kind of cfw?

Reactions: LonelyGamer_

LonelyGamer_

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
having similar problem, just got 2x 128gb sdcards and the photofast dual slot adapter.

two old 8gb cards I have laying around works for 16gb total, but I can't get the 128gb combo to work. it works fine on PC, formatted as fat32. it also works via SUB connection, I can transfer files via PC. but the psp says "can't read the card go format it"

if I do that it seems to work on the PSP but the contents on PC as well as the cards name is all garbled junk, tons of garbeld files and folders of various sizes... so I can't get any content on it that way.

is there something you need on the psp side? like a plugin or special kind of cfw?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

GameOverLabs

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I just tried today two 128GB Samsung EVO Class 10 micro sdxc up to 48 MB/s (I think here is the trick, don't buy a micro sd with velocity above 48 MB/s), a generic microsd to Memory stick pro duo, and it worked 239GB usable, formatted it with psp, the iso works great, but it takes some time to load and to browse games, but once you load the game everything works great.

lusid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest variable seems to be the adapter. I have a few different variations of the dual microsd adapters. The oldest of them only works up to 64gb total (2x32). A couple of them only do 128gb total (1x128, or 2x64), and a couple recent ones work at 256gb (2x128). In all cases I can format in a PSP. OFW 661 works with 256gb. CFW is rumored to support 2TB. Older firmware will have lower limits.

alex_0706

darknessblade
Trophies
Website
nolink.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The biggest variable seems to be the adapter. I have a few different variations of the dual microsd adapters. The oldest of them only works up to 64gb total (2x32). A couple of them only do 128gb total (1x128, or 2x64), and a couple recent ones work at 256gb (2x128). In all cases I can format in a PSP. OFW 661 works with 256gb. CFW is rumored to support 2TB. Older firmware will have lower limits.
2TB support!!!
lol that is every possible game that can run on the psp, and then you still have 1TB left (if you leave out duplicate)

scroeffie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i have 2 128gb in a fake PhotoFast CR-5400 adapter my psp only sees 231gb is it a adapter problem ? the real PhotoFast CR-5400 is no ware to be found

XXXCOOLBREEZE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This an old topic I wanted to address. PSP does not have a limit. You simply need a pro-duo adapter. Right now I am at almost 500gb. Imagine the possibles of Music, Pics, videos and Games. Now, with that said You can't go cheap on the Micro SD, you MUST buy hi speed high Quality Micro SD cards or the PSP will slow to a dead stop almost.
58842434_353501332179147_722428931004694528_n.jpg

Demix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Psp sd card 128 or 256gb needs to be in fat32. I just put in a 128 and learned all this and basically windowa wont formart fat32 best it can do is exfat and ntfs. So i used free sodtware search on google fat32 formater and used one that says gui. I used sd adapter and formatted to fat32, after that psp had no problem expect took a lil longer to load and it showed 119 gb free

dark79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I successfully got a PSP to read a 512GB card in a single slot adapter. I'm trying to see if it will read 2 of them in a dual slot adapter. No real reason for it. I just got curious :)

1. windiskimager32 to write the zzblank.img (you'll find it in Vita modding forums as you need it to prep cards for SD2Vita),
2. guiformat to format it to Fat32 with 64K allocation
3. copy the folder structure and MEMSTICK.IND and MSTK_PRO.IND to the card.

PSP read it, no problem. I'm not sure a dual adapter will work though since the PSP would have to format it and I don't think it's capable. But I'll try a few things and see what I can get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: