Tutorial  Updated

Full PS Vita CFW Guide (h-encore + HENkaku Ensō)

This is a collaborative project between Plailect (author of 3ds.hacks.guide) and myself (emiyl, author of cfw.guide) to build the best possible up-to-date reference for the PS Vita (TV) hacks scene.

If you have a stock console and are looking to hack your device for the first time, simply read the information on the home page.

:arrow: Guide

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just a quick question, I already got a crap old Adrenalin install on that Ape Quest demo. Can I just use this installer to make it prettier and update Adrenaline?

Reactions: Hmed

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
And game dumping + backup installing

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For some reason the website isn't updating :v
However if you click the "Vita Guide" text at the top of the page, it does.

Nvm, it updated, just takes a few minutes.

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Looks excellent to me, no need to theme or, much worse, make interactive something that can be explained excellently with standard bold/italics
---
FYI, for the error when using the browser exploit, the most common cause (at least on my PSTV) is not having at least 2 bars of wifi signal (counting only the dot as 1)!

And of course you don't need Windows for formatting the microSD, but you can use Linux/Mac OS/most other Unixes/Android:
* Insert card
* Find the whole-device node (usually /dev/sd?, /dev/rdisk?, /dev/mmcblk? or some variant on the theme - check out the documentation of your OS, and be especially careful to use the correct disk!) The `mount` command may be of help.
* Make sure to unmount all partitions, but not eject the disk
* Use the dd command to write zzBlank to the card (dd if=/path/to/zzBlank.img of=/dev/what-you-found-above)
* Eject and reinsert the card
* Create a new MBR partition table, an exFAT partition, and format said partition (Mac users have it easy: disk utility > select card > partition > options > mbr > 1 partition > exfat, for Linux and others you may be able to use gparted or just the real command line deal: fdisk /dev/????, o (new partition table), n (create partition), t (change type) 07, w (save and quit), mkfs.exfat /dev/the-partition-you-created (note that exfat utilities are usually an optional install!))

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
Looks excellent to me, no need to theme or, much worse, make interactive something that can be explained excellently with standard bold/italics
I prettied it up anyway haha
FYI, for the error when using the browser exploit, the most common cause (at least on my PSTV) is not having at least 2 bars of wifi signal (counting only the dot as 1)!
I'll add that now!
And of course you don't need Windows for formatting the microSD, but you can use Linux/Mac OS/most other Unixes/Android:
* Insert card
* Find the whole-device node (usually /dev/sd?, /dev/rdisk?, /dev/mmcblk? or some variant on the theme - check out the documentation of your OS, and be especially careful to use the correct disk!) The `mount` command may be of help.
* Make sure to unmount all partitions, but not eject the disk
* Use the dd command to write zzBlank to the card (dd if=/path/to/zzBlank.img of=/dev/what-you-found-above)
* Eject and reinsert the card
* Create a new MBR partition table, an exFAT partition, and format said partition (Mac users have it easy: disk utility > select card > partition > options > mbr > 1 partition > exfat, for Linux and others you may be able to use gparted or just the real command line deal: fdisk /dev/????, o (new partition table), n (create partition), t (change type) 07, w (save and quit), mkfs.exfat /dev/the-partition-you-created (note that exfat utilities are usually an optional install!))
Oh whoops. I just copied another guide, I didn't think about that lol

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
Website is currently down for a bit

It's back now

nvm it isn't ;-;

It's actually back now lol

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
@Lia
Well done. Good guide :)

Here are a few suggestions to make this better:
- Remove the simple instructions for updating to 3.60 and just keep the detailed one. People are idiots, and the more detailed the guide is, the better
- Remove the page about installing homebrew and plugins and make that part of finalizing setup page, by dividing that page into installing plugins, homebrew, and adrenaline.
- Explain why a user might want download enabler, instead of just instructions on how to add it as a plugin. Maybe also mark some of these as optional (download enabler and homebrew)
- Maybe detail ftp usage as an alternative
- Explain in a section the difference between ur0, ux0, um0, etc..
- Revise the warning on Enso installing page. While I understand the reasons behind the words you wrote, you kinda made it seem like it's unstable and has a good chance of bricking.
- Maybe revise the font color, underlining, bolding, etc .. just to make it aesthetically prettier :)

Either way, good job :)

Reactions: KiiWii

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
@Lia
Well done. Good guide :)
Thanks ^_^
Here are a few suggestions to make this better:
- Remove the simple instructions for updating to 3.60 and just keep the detailed one. People are idiots, and the more detailed the guide is, the better
I think that's a good idea, yes.
- Remove the page about installing homebrew and plugins and make that part of finalizing setup page, by dividing that page into installing plugins, homebrew, and adrenaline.
- Explain why a user might want download enabler, instead of just instructions on how to add it as a plugin. Maybe also mark some of these as optional (download enabler and homebrew)
- Maybe detail ftp usage as an alternative
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I mainly use download_enabler for downloading Enso. I've just realised that I can turn Enso into an mp4 instead :P That'd be simpler.
- Explain in a section the difference between ur0, ux0, um0, etc..
Maybe when I have time
- Revise the warning on Enso installing page. While I understand the reasons behind the words you wrote, you kinda made it seem like it's unstable and has a good chance of bricking.
Yeah, you're probably right haha
- Maybe revise the font color, underlining, bolding, etc .. just to make it aesthetically prettier :)
Just spent the last few hours trying to do that :P
Never used HTML or CSS before so I don't really know how to do things, but I think it's going well

Reactions: Disco and Madridi

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be better to just use sd2vita micro sd and discard the sony mmc?? I'm thinking of just selling my 32gb sony mmc and moving to a 128 micro sd card with sd2vita. I already installed the sd2vita but for now I am using uma0: with a smaller micro sd just to try it out.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do I need to activate Vita if I won't be using Adrenaline (I have PSP with CFW for that)?
Will I be able to play Vita backups without activation?
What's the benefit of activated Vita/PSTV?

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
Do I need to activate Vita if I won't be using Adrenaline (I have PSP with CFW for that)?
Will I be able to play Vita backups without activation?
What's the benefit of activated Vita/PSTV?
Vita activation is not required to use your PS Vita.
You will be able to play your backups without activation.
Activated Vitas can install Adrenaline and install games from the PS Store (I'm pretty sure that's blocked now anyway)

Reactions: Disco

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Vita activation is not required to use your PS Vita.
You will be able to play your backups without activation.
Activated Vitas can install Adrenaline and install games from the PS Store (I'm pretty sure that's blocked now anyway)

You mean new games I buy from PS Store, or the ones that are PS Store exclusives (I'm talking here only about backups)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.