Hacking qlutoo got a talk at 34c3's console hacking/security section!

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As in, actually buying physical games to load on the console? What did you think I meant? Newer games need newer firmware, good luck being able to play those on low system versions.

I understand that newer games require newer firmware. I guess one of the points that I was trying to make was that different users have different preferences. With regard to 1.0.0, you said in one of your posts that...

Yeah, nothing like being limited to only running five games lol.

However, for some users, perhaps those five games are enough to more or less satisfy them (by the way, it's actually thirteen cartridge games, by my count, that can be run on 1.0.0 :P ). If you wish to use hacks/homebrew, sometimes sacrifices have to be made, such as some of the discussion in this thread about potential online bans for hacked Switch consoles.

The second point that I was making was that 3.0.0 users are cut off from newer games as well, but obviously, they have a higher selection of games to choose from than 1.0.0 users. Your post that I originally quoted could just as easily say...

I'm talking about being forced to stay on 3.0.0 and not being able to play new legit games

Also, if an exploit were to eventually appear on, for example, 4.0.0, eventually those users could be cut off from newer games as well. To use my mention of Super Mario Odyssey as an example, if that is the only game that both a 1.0.0 and 3.0.0 user is interested in, at this moment, they both more or less have these options...

1. Update their current Switch to play it.
2. Buy a second Switch.
3. Skip over it.

To go a little further with that example, I have thought about buying a second Switch, preferably when there is a price cut, to play Odyssey and newer games. However, for me personally, I will skip over it for now. Someone else might decide differently, however, and both 1.0.0 and 3.0.0 users are in the same boat with the Odyssey example. I will admit though, I hope that something comes along to allow me to play newer games (I'm not referring to piracy) while retaining homebrew capabilities, and after this news today, I am a little more optimistic about that happening. For now though, I'll make use of the options that I currently have available to me.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know why stay on the lowest firmware possible is such an incomprehensible concept to some. You can very easily upgrade if need be. It's much harder to downgrade. This is one of the basic tenets of hacking your shit. It's simple, you want hacks, dont update until there is a exploit released that requires it. It;s just that simple.

Zap Rowsdower

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree, but it's quite another scenario when they've even currently declared 3.0.0 as the target firmware, and have been releasing tools for 3.0.0 development. While in reality they're doing all of the important and the most necessary work on unobtainable launch consoles, where I imagine it often being of cases where those 1.0.0's don't exist anymore because 'idiots' actually listened to them or put serious time into setting up and using the tools they've released...
I know it's an assumption that nobody is working on a NAND emulation for their "target firmware" of 3.0.0, but they're pretty quiet otherwise which is where you can surmise that they're quite enjoying bending people over. :)

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know why stay on the lowest firmware possible is such an incomprehensible concept to some. You can very easily upgrade if need be. It's much harder to downgrade. This is one of the basic tenets of hacking your shit. It's simple, you want hacks, dont update until there is a exploit released that requires it. It;s just that simple.
While I generally agree with this the whole 3.0.1 was just bad. They knew Mario would come out and instead of saying to stay on 3.0 once they that the exploit didn't work, they waited for a few days.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree, but it's quite another scenario when they've even currently declared 3.0.0 as the target firmware, and have been releasing tools for 3.0.0 development. While in reality they're doing all of the important and the most necessary work on unobtainable launch consoles, where I imagine it often being of cases where those 1.0.0's don't exist anymore because 'idiots' actually listened to them or put serious time into setting up and using the tools they've released...
I know it's an assumption that nobody is working on a NAND emulation for their "target firmware" of 3.0.0, but they're pretty quiet otherwise which is where you can surmise that they're quite enjoying bending people over. :)
I think nand emulation as in emunand isn't possible with the switch. The 3ds for some reason allowed to boot from the SD card. The switch doesn't.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QFMFT. Finally, someone said it! One, there are almost little to no Switch consoles on the market that are 1.0.0, two, EmuNAND on 1.0.0 would be absolutely useless.

Them: "But 1.0.0 is cracked!"
Us: Well congratu-f*cking-lations
there aren't many 3.0.0 becaue the stock of old console likely a already sold

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QFMFT. Finally, someone said it! One, there are almost little to no Switch consoles on the market that are 1.0.0, two, EmuNAND on 1.0.0 would be absolutely useless.

Them: "But 1.0.0 is cracked!"
Us: Well congratu-f*cking-lations
there aren't many 3.0.0 becaue the stock of old console likely a already sold

Greg956

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Go to Mother Russia, guys, to Moscow. We have here in MVideo, in almost every local shop bundles with Splatoon 2 and Pokken Tournament DX on cartridge. Alongside as NES classic and SNES classic.

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think nand emulation as in emunand isn't possible with the switch. The 3ds for some reason allowed to boot from the SD card. The switch doesn't.

That's very true but people tend to forget that there are other ways and emunand was just one way, the easiest way but another way is for modchip makers to bring out there own modchips, probably from China since the Xbox 360 and PS3 modchips come from there aswell, hell it could very well be right under our noses aswell like PSVita, though Sony made quick work of that but PSVita took awhile, sure hackers had an exploit but it took till last year or so to fully implement it as Henkaku and it was all thanks to Sony stupidly updating there firmware and such, which left in vulnerabilities, I hear the latest firmware patched it all up but in time it will be hacked again, also there's that nice Vita cart, where you just put in a micro SD and it adds in memory for you, so you don't have to depend on Sony stick.

So what I'm trying to say is that sure Nintendo patched it but a hacker or modchip makers will just find a newer exploit to take advantage of except modchips, those cost m9ney and once companies found a way to mod the Switch with a modchip, there gonna sell em and there not gonna be cheap and Switch is closer to Xbox 360 and Xbox One and PS4 way of doing things than 3ds and wii u, so it will likely need a modchip to do custom firmware.

Reactions: ken28

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's very true but people tend to forget that there are other ways and emunand was just one way, the easiest way but another way is for modchip makers to bring out there own modchips, probably from China since the Xbox 360 and PS3 modchips come from there aswell, hell it could very well be right under our noses aswell like PSVita, though Sony made quick work of that but PSVita took awhile, sure hackers had an exploit but it took till last year or so to fully implement it as Henkaku and it was all thanks to Sony stupidly updating there firmware and such, which left in vulnerabilities, I hear the latest firmware patched it all up but in time it will be hacked again, also there's that nice Vita cart, where you just put in a micro SD and it adds in memory for you, so you don't have to depend on Sony stick.

So what I'm trying to say is that sure Nintendo patched it but a hacker or modchip makers will just find a newer exploit to take advantage of except modchips, those cost m9ney and once companies found a way to mod the Switch with a modchip, there gonna sell em and there not gonna be cheap and Switch is closer to Xbox 360 and Xbox One and PS4 way of doing things than 3ds and wii u, so it will likely need a modchip to do custom firmware.
They can still do some thing like bs9 where you have cfw running on system nand on boot and it patches out checks allowing you to run homebrew stuff.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worst case scenario here is that we need to get mod chip for emunand which might be really easy to install in the switch sinc eth eMMC is on a seperate board with a nice convenient socket

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While I generally agree with this the whole 3.0.1 was just bad. They knew Mario would come out and instead of saying to stay on 3.0 once they that the exploit didn't work, they waited for a few days.
This is not at all factual. It was well known before SMO was released that the target firmware for homebrew was 3.0. There were many discussions in the weeks leading up to SMO release about the people that are going to update to play it and then be in the forums complaining once something cool is announced (take a look at my comment history and you will see). It was well known that 3.0 has specific vulnerabilities that were not available in other versions, nobody is tricking anyone.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, , Reason: edited for factual integrity

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not at all factual. It was well known before SMO was released that the target firmware for homebrew was 3.0. There were many discussions in the weeks leading up to SMO release about the people that are going to update to play it and then be in the forums complaining once something cool is announced (take a look at my comment history and you will see). It was well known that 3.0 has specific vulnerabilities that were not available in other versions, nobody is tricking anyone.

So what the hell were people supposed to do, NOT buy Super Mario Odyssey or any other future games with higher firmware? Sounds like it to me.

That's just bullshit, as is being required to get a second Switch.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: ken28

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So what the hell were people supposed to do, NOT buy Super Mario Odyssey or any other future games with higher firmware? Sounds like it to me.

That's just bullshit, as is being required to get a second Switch.
Yeah thats exactly what a lot of people did. Me included. I had games on preorder that I can't play. Its fine though, they aren't going anywhere. I dont feel the need to play every game the day they came out. In fact I have a PS4 that I have never played a single game on. For some people hacking and learning about secure embedded systems is more fun than games. For others it isn't. Sometimes you can't have it both ways.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah thats exactly what a lot of people did. Me included. I had games on preorder that I can't play. Its fine though, they aren't going anywhere. I dont feel the need to play every game the day they came out. In fact I have a PS4 that I have never played a single game on. For some people hacking and learning about secure embedded systems is more fun than games. For others it isn't. Sometimes you can't have it both ways.

I can only hope people don't flaunt "I have a better firmware than you" kind of BS at least.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"a lot of"
i highly doubt it where that many. Most people buy a console to guess what.... to play games and lets us face it to pirate. If they would only care for Homebrew they would get something like and gpd win, a PC or a Pi.

Reactions: the_randomizer

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"a lot of"
i highly doubt it where that many. Most people buy a console to guess what.... to play games and lets us face it to pirate. If they would only care for Homebrew they would get something like and gpd win, a PC or a Pi.
There's plenty of people in this forum that did, and from what I see, only a few that didn't and are this bitter about it. If you bought a switch to play games, then go play your games and stop worrying about it. If you don't give a fuck about homebrew then I guess you made the right decision for yourself.

Do you think the people that are working on this stuff are doing it for you? Newsflash for ya buds, they're not. They're doing it because they like to do it and are learning and/or need it for their own purposes. Nobody gives a shit whether or not you can pirate games except you.

Reactions: MonMonz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufnIPGYQx8 +1