PS1/2 (Question) PS1 memory cards?

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an official Sony branded card off of eBay, and basically I put it in my PS2 but it's been having problems.

- When I take the memory card out I have to wiggle it out. I can't just pull it out like most PS2 Cards

- The PS1 memory card gets recognized by slot 1 & slot 2 but when I go and play a game it sometimes gives me an error "no memory card insisted" I can sometimes fix this by moving the card out & sometimes to the left or right but it's been frustrating to deal with

- I can save to the memory card & there were saves on it before hand.

I'm confuzzeld. Are all these problems normal for the PS2 or the cards? Just asking from exciperence because I never used them before.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay this is kind of stupid but the PS1 card works on my PS2 slot 1 only, I tested Twisted Metal 4 to confirm if it recognized the card at all and it did but failed to read from 2.

So I loaded FreeMCBoot and my PS2 card from slot 2 and it recognizes it just fine. I don't know why slot 2 doesn't work with PS1 cards but I found my answer I guess lol.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the slots on your ps2 might be too tight.
I never realized but, certain games only work with slot 1 or slot 2 (or both.) The same thing happens with PS2 Games. So its not my slots or anything its just the game only reads from one slot. I don't know if its to save time & storage on the game but it seems weird that some games only support 1, 2, or both card slots.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I bought an official Sony branded card off of eBay, and basically I put it in my PS2 but it's been having problems.

- When I take the memory card out I have to wiggle it out. I can't just pull it out like most PS2 Cards

- The PS1 memory card gets recognized by slot 1 & slot 2 but when I go and play a game it sometimes gives me an error "no memory card insisted" I can sometimes fix this by moving the card out & sometimes to the left or right but it's been frustrating to deal with

- I can save to the memory card & there were saves on it before hand.

I'm confuzzeld. Are all these problems normal for the PS2 or the cards? Just asking from exciperence because I never used them before.
From my experience when that happens the memory card (PS1 or PS2) is not making consistent contact. Best method I've found is to open up the card and carefully clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. If it still doesn't work then adding a small piece of paper or cardstock directly behind the contacts on the card solves it for sure.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my experience when that happens the memory card (PS1 or PS2) is not making consistent contact. Best method I've found is to open up the card and carefully clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. If it still doesn't work then adding a small piece of paper or cardstock directly behind the contacts on the card solves it for sure.
Both of the slots and cards work, its just I have been using them in the wrong slots or only certain games work in certain slots.

An example; Metal Gear Solid 2 works on Slot 1 & Slot 2, but Burnout 3 only works on Slot 1, slot 2 won't be recognized because the disc only looks for those slots.
Other than having to pull the PS1 card out like its glue compared to the PS2 Card I have, they both work fine. I just didn't know that certain games only read certain slots. I just paniced seeing how if I didn't care I would probably have more and more problems down the road in the future or the PS2 I have was already having problems I didn't know about

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm