• Replies 3,809
  • Likes 6

Jackknife18846

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably being really stupid right now, but I got a 6 terabyte external HDD and I decided to use that for backing up all my WII games on WIIflow. WIIflow works perfectly on my SD card but just refuses to install or run games from my HDD. It is formatted to NTFS.
I tried to pull up Syscheck but it gives me the error "Failed to get the stored TMD size for IOS62"
I can confirm IOS 62 is in my system too
EDIT: it works with a normal USB but not with my HDD, the WII must not be compatible with it

Last edited by Jackknife18846,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably being really stupid right now, but I got a 6 terabyte external HDD and I decided to use that for backing up all my WII games on WIIflow. WIIflow works perfectly on my SD card but just refuses to install or run games from my HDD. It is formatted to NTFS.
I tried to pull up Syscheck but it gives me the error "Failed to get the stored TMD size for IOS62"
I can confirm IOS 62 is in my system too
EDIT: it works with a normal USB but not with my HDD, the WII must not be compatible with it

You need to reformat your HDD to fat32 and also be careful of what cluster size you select. To get the complete drive usable you'll need to format it to 64k clusters.

See this post I made a while ago when I did this to my WD 8TB HDD. If this link doesn't take you to the post when clicked just copy and paste it into a browser window:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1132#post-6662953

EDIT: Not sure of the status these days of loaders using a GPT formatted drive, but I think some progress was made where it might be possible. Back when I did it I had to force mine into MBR mode.

Last edited by ca032769,

EuroMIX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure where is might be best to ask this, but is it a known issue, or is there an obvious reason why USB Loader GX booting into Nintendont to play GC games would black screen (permanently) with a Rock Band dongle, usually with a mic plugged in (the dongle provides two USB ports) the top port (1, I think)?

I was having intermittent issues, and noticed it was most prone immediately after I played Rock Band. I usually leave the dongle in permanently, but I noticed if I removed it, even if it was just after playing Rock Band but before starting a GC game, that the GC game booted just fine, but would otherwise cause a black screen.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure where is might be best to ask this, but is it a known issue, or is there an obvious reason why USB Loader GX booting into Nintendont to play GC games would black screen (permanently) with a Rock Band dongle, usually with a mic plugged in (the dongle provides two USB ports) the top port (1, I think)?

I was having intermittent issues, and noticed it was most prone immediately after I played Rock Band. I usually leave the dongle in permanently, but I noticed if I removed it, even if it was just after playing Rock Band but before starting a GC game, that the GC game booted just fine, but would otherwise cause a black screen.

I'm pretty sure Nintendont doesn't work with USB hubs.

EuroMIX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure Nintendont doesn't work with USB hubs.
So it will straight up cause issues like this if one is plugged in, even if the hard drive Nintendont is loading from is the sole device in port 0? I mean, that would make sense given what I've experienced.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it will straight up cause issues like this if one is plugged in, even if the hard drive Nintendont is loading from is the sole device in port 0? I mean, that would make sense given what I've experienced.

Yes. I'm not sure if HDDs work through hubs at all on a Wii but I'm pretty sure that the only way to use multiple controllers at once is with some sort of multitap adapter unless they're native GC ones.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Yes. I'm not sure if HDDs work through hubs at all on a Wii but I'm pretty sure that the only way to use multiple controllers at once is with some sort of multitap adapter unless they're native GC ones.
I have tried a few simple hubs and they do work with usbloadergx... but only one hdd will be detected, other will not be found as if they were not there. Not sure if other usb devices will affect it and I guess not all hubs will work. Anyway, what is the point of using one hub for only one hdd unless you use the hub solely for power.

SuperSonicRacer1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the right place, but it relates to a backup loader, so it might be. That said, is it okay to use just a standard Sandisk USB Stick as the thing that holds backups, instead of an external HDD? Will it break it? Will it wear out the stick too quick? Will the stick even work?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the right place, but it relates to a backup loader, so it might be. That said, is it okay to use just a standard Sandisk USB Stick as the thing that holds backups, instead of an external HDD? Will it break it? Will it wear out the stick too quick? Will the stick even work?
I'm not an "expert", though my USB sticks have worked fine with backup loading. Maybe make sure that there are no important files on it, though.

Reactions: SuperSonicRacer1

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, what about backups of games on disc, would those run faster as installed WADs, or would it be faster to load them through USB?

Installed where? On real NAND will obviously be faster. On USB using emuNAND it still won't really matter that much as channel titles are pretty restricted in regards to size.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, what about backups of games on disc, would those run faster as installed WADs, or would it be faster to load them through USB?
I think you're confusing WiiWare with wbfs/iso backups. The Wii only has 512mbs of internal memory, to put things into perspective, so there's no physical way to install a full game to it. You CAN load a backup off of USB, but that's not the same as installing it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE