• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Race and religious hate crimes rose 41% after EU vote

emigre

Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
_91896598_racegraph.png

Racist or religious abuse incidents recorded by police in England and Wales jumped 41% in the month after the UK voted to quit the EU, figures show.

There were 3,886 such crimes logged in July 2015, rising to 5,468 in July this year, according to the Home Office.

It said the sharp increase declined in August but has "remained at a higher level than prior to the EU referendum".

Source

Honestly, hate crime is always unacceptable. It's really sad how the vote made some people think abusing others was somehow acceptable.

D

Deleted User

This sucks. What with Trump in the US and post-Brexit hate crimes in the UK, I think that we have an counter-movement to the Political Correctness of today on our hands. This doesn't justify it at all, though. Hopefully things will get better, and people will realize how stupid they're being.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

MisterPantsEyes

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Britain is sinking into chaos, inflation, poverty and inevitably death. Brexit is killing them slowly.
They are so mad now because they lost Marmite, it's not getting sold anymore. But they will be much more mad when they lose all the other things, like prosperity.

Yes, now it's called United Kingdom, but soon it'll be called United Shitdom. Mark my words.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is 5 months. Hardy conclusive IMO. Could just be normal ups and downs. Though it certainly feels like it's true.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Can confirm, chaos is everywhere. I'm looking out of my barricaded office window right now and there are bands of savage marmite addicted bandits turning over homes and businesses. The government has lost control of the country, leaving Unilever and Tesco to battle it out for supremacy.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can confirm, man it has been hell here. 2,300 people shot this year, nearly 500 deaths so far man. Oh wait, that's just Chicago.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I hope it will get better... In time of crisis, countries have a very bad tendency to close on themselves, economically and socially. Just look at what happened before WW1, or the rise of right wing during the subprimes crisis (France, Spain, Greece, ...). Instead of questioning our way of life, most people prefer to find a scapegoat and that's one of the problems... I just hope Great Britain won't crumble...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum