Hardware recently bought a lg 4k suhd (has hdr) is it now worth upgrading from PS4 to PRO?

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
hey guys, as the title suggests.

i googled/looked up gbatemp but only found people asking whether they should get the ps4 pro if they own a 1080p tv.

so here's the thing with me, i already own the 2nd version of the ps4 not the slim but (the one which is completely matte).

and well i now own a 4k TV, is it really worth the upgrade to the ps4 pro ?

thanks in advance.

acphydro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d definitely grab a Pro if you have a 4K TV. You can always set it to output 1080p HDR if you find performance lacking if needed. Definitely worth the upgrade though especially if you sell your old console. I myself have a PS4 Pro and a 1080p TV and am happy with the upgrade anyway liking the steadier frame rate. Another suggestion is to replace the HDD in the Pro with a Firecuda—well worth the upgrade.

jazzyalmonds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d definitely grab a Pro if you have a 4K TV. You can always set it to output 1080p HDR if you find performance lacking if needed. Definitely worth the upgrade though especially if you sell your old console. I myself have a PS4 Pro and a 1080p TV and am happy with the upgrade anyway liking the steadier frame rate. Another suggestion is to replace the HDD in the Pro with a Firecuda—well worth the upgrade.
Do the frames hold up though? Can it really push 4k for all games?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, a lot of games are 1440p with methods such as checkerboard upscaling to display them at 4K. Even Crash Nsane Trilogy is 1440p.

Compared to the Xbox One:

The Xbox One X cant push all games at 4K either but it can run more of them at native 4K with no checkerboarding. For games the Xbox One can't render at 4K native, it usually has a native resolution that is higher than the PS4 Pro's resolution.

It comes down to the games, the Xbox One X has undeniably better hardware and doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player (PS4 Pro can't do 4K Blu-ray) but for people who like Sony's line of exclusives, a PS4 Pro is the only way to go.

Framerate wise, the Xbox One handles framerate better in some games, whereas the PS4 Pro can actually end up with some games running worse than on the PS4 regular.

Both do 4K streaming apps fine, but I personally have has issues with the normal PS4 buffering all the time for no reason (I get 60Mbit down, no excuses for this) so I do not know if I trust the PS4 Pro to not do the same thing.

Last edited by driverdis,

acphydro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It does a fine job balancing resolution and framerate. I’ve used it on a 4K TV before as well as an Xbox one X and you’d only see the difference between the two if you were really looking for it. Is true however that it doesn’t do native 4K all the time but neither does the Xbox.

Not sure why the Xbox was even brought in to this discussion lol. There are a small number of games that may run slightly worse on the Pro at increased graphics but it’s nothing major ie it’s not really a thing. It is most certainly worth the upgrade especially if you can sell your old PS4. 1440p is still substantially better than 1080p. 4K is only 2160p so most games will run in between 1440p and 2160p.

As long as your home network is properly configured you won’t have any internet related buffering issues that the poster above me mentioned. I’ve never had an issue with mine since the PS3 era.

We won’t likely get true 4K gaming until the next generation at least on consoles, but these mid gen upgrades are worthy of an upgrade if you want more visual fidelity overall.

Last edited by acphydro,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as your home network is properly configured you won’t have any internet related buffering issues that the poster above me mentioned. I’ve never had an issue with mine since the PS3 era.

My network is set up properly, everything works fine with all my devices for even 4K streaming. Only PS4 (PS3 worked fine) had issues for me and friends of mine.

acphydro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My network is set up properly, everything works fine with all my devices for even 4K streaming. Only PS4 (PS3 worked fine) had issues for me and friends of mine.

Just because your network works fine for other devices doesn’t mean it’s properly set up for a PS4. If uPNP is on in your router the proper ports should be open for your PS4 unless there is a conflict which in that case you’d need to assign a static IP address to it and open the ports manually. Setting up a static IP for devices is generally a good idea anyway as it prevents such issues from occurring in the first place.

I personally don’t know anyone with such issues on a PS4. Unless your PS4 itself is defective then your network is improperly configured, there are conflicts or your ISP is throttling PlayStation traffic. The easiest way to determine if your network is the issue is to directly plug your modem into the PS4 and see if you still have the issue or not. If not you know it’s your network, if you do you know it’s your ISP or defective hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol