Homebrew [Release] fastboot3DS - open source bootloader / chainloader

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is cool but can we get infinite boot slots with custmizable names and custom FastBoot 3DS SplashScreens?
In what reality are you going to have more than 6 boot options? Godmode9, Decrypt9, luma, ntrbootflasher, rei-six. and the nanquitas plugin loader luma fork.... that's just about everything if you are on a b9s install you can want to boot from...

D

Deleted User

It is a replacement for b9s or for saltmode9 (gm9 installed to firm0 and used as a bootloader).

It lets you have multiple payloads (CFW or other) and choose which one to boot by holding a button down. Think of it as a combination of bootctr9 and boot9strap. As an example, you can have Luma as boot.firm for normal use, Rei-Six for legacy homebrew, and godmode9 for fixing things. So if you end up using Luma Updater and it turns out the latest Luma won't boot on your system (due to a bug or incomplete download), you can use gm9 and/or Rei-Six to fix it on the go without needing to have a screwdriver and USB OTG adapter on you.
Well in that case I think you could still keep the gm9 saltmode in firm 0 since it allows you to run more than 6 payloads when you are using cfw's like rei-six or cakes.Fastboot is mainly ment to be a bootmanager,but 6 slots are kind of limiting for me to use it over a bootctr9+ctrbootmanager combination as my primary boot.firm which allows me to have both boot animations,multiple cfw options and bin backwards compatibility.Now if this also allowed you to also run as many payloads as I wanted aswell as menu customization like with ctrbootmanager,I would definitely use this as my firm 0 instead of saltmode9.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In what reality are you going to have more than 6 boot options? Godmode9, Decrypt9, luma, ntrbootflasher, rei-six. and the nanquitas plugin loader luma fork.... that's just about everything if you are on a b9s install you can want to boot from...
Well lets see,in ctrbootmanager I have luma3ds,corbinik/skieth firm version,corbinik/skieth bin version,cakes,bootanim9(the bin version),a stealth patch,rei-six and I also have Fastboot set up aswell for testing purposes,so yeah....I run more than just 6 cfws and if I want to run my payloads ill just use the saltmode9 chainloader/bootloader which lets me run as many payloads as I want on any cfw without a built in chainloader.

Last edited by ,

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Well lets see,in ctrbootmanager I have luma3ds,corbinik/skieth firm version,corbinik/skieth bin version,cakes,bootanim9(the bin version),a stealth patch,rei-six and I also have Fastboot set up aswell for testing purposes,so yeah....I run more than just 6 cfws and if I want to run my payloads ill just use the saltmode9 chainloader/bootloader which lets me run as many payloads as I want on any cfw without a built in chainloader.
FB3DS doesn't even support Brahma-style binaries so it doesn't make sense to include them on the list, plus booting FB3DS from itself would be redundant.
So you'd only really need luma, corbenik, skeith, cakes, that stealth thing (I assume it's a FIRM, whatever it is) and Rei-six.
I'd say it fits right in, and your case is pretty extreme.
In any case, I think the bootslots were limited to six in order to keep the configuration file down, there's no technical limitation on the number of boot slots.

D

Deleted User

FB3DS doesn't even support Brahma-style binaries so it doesn't make sense to include them on the list, plus booting FB3DS from itself would be redundant.
So you'd only really need luma, corbenik, skeith, cakes, that stealth thing (I assume it's a FIRM, whatever it is) and Rei-six.
I'd say it fits right in, and your case is pretty extreme.
In any case, I think the bootslots were limited to six in order to keep the configuration file down, there's no technical limitation on the number of boot slots.
In other words this would be for casual users

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
In other words this would be for casual users
No, this is trying to be one-glove-fits-all solution, and it's still in development. Initially the bootslots were meant to be fitted somewhere other than SD, where storage isn't exactly spare. 3 slots was considered pretty limiting so it was increased to 6.

Besides, are there even more than 6 homebrew programs designed to run from a FIRM entrypoint? In any case, feel free to make it changeable at compile time and make a PR to the main repo. If it's suitable, I'm sure it'll be taken.

Reactions: Gray_Jack
D

Deleted User

No, this is trying to be one-glove-fits-all solution, and it's still in development. Initially the bootslots were meant to be fitted somewhere other than SD, where storage isn't exactly spare. 3 slots was considered pretty limiting so it was increased to 6.

Besides, are there even more than 6 homebrew programs designed to run from a FIRM entrypoint? In any case, feel free to make it changeable at compile time and make a PR to the main repo. If it's suitable, I'm sure it'll be taken.
Hmm,well now that I think about it I don't run more than 6 payloads on my chainloaders but i do run more than 6 cfws as i already sead so I guess if you put it that way you got a point.However I still think casual users who want to run both luma and re-six without learning how to setup ctrbootmanager can also benefit from this too,at least from the way I see it.

D

Deleted User

And what are the disadvantages of this compared to B9S?
None,really.You set this up as a boot.firm,install it into your firm 0 and you can bootload and chainload without ctrbootmanager.You are going to have to install normall b9s first though if you are setting up cfw for the first time,then you can overwrite stock b9s with this.Think of this as b9s but with slight modifications.

Last edited by ,

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
And what are the disadvantages of this compared to B9S?
- No bootrom dumping.
- More code/data, so if you have a flashcart with a really small flash chip (iirc there's some with only 32KiB usable) you might have to use B9S instead for ntrboot.

That's pretty much all of the objective disadvantages.

Last edited by Wolfvak,

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
None,really.You set this up as a boot.firm,install it into your firm 0 and you can bootload and chainload without ctrbootmanager.You are going to have to install normall b9s first though if you are setting up cfw for the first time,then you can overwrite stock b9s with this.Think of this as b9s but with slight modifications.

I installed it directly, no b9s. I used ntrboot, I put the OpenFirmInstaller as boot.firm on SD, booted, and installed fastboot3ds directly.
Do note that fastboot3ds lets you actually browse for any .firm on sd or ctrnand and boot it without using the slots.

you could also put your cfw .firm on the slots, and use the luma chainloader for payloads like godmode9 (the only one you need, really)
or just press home and browse to it, it's simple enough.

D

Deleted User

I installed it directly, no b9s. I used ntrboot, I put the OpenFirmInstaller as boot.firm on SD, booted, and installed fastboot3ds directly.
Do note that fastboot3ds lets you actually browse for any .firm on sd or ctrnand and boot it without using the slots.

you could also put your cfw .firm on the slots, and use the luma chainloader for payloads like godmode9 (the only one you need, really)
or just press home and browse to it, it's simple enough.
What if you are installing without a flash card though? Same process?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: