Homebrew [Release] - LövePotion - LÖVE API for 3DS Homebrew - BETA

TurtleP

Trophies
Website
TurtleP.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Actually, @XavyrrVaati LovePotion follows a strict API. Some 'features' you add might not be the same as what Videah or I will end up adding. We're following the Love 0.10.1 API for everything. Just thought I'd give you and @NichyXD a heads up on that. If you want documentation, you can find it at https://www.love2d.org/wiki/

Reactions: XavyrrVaati

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, @XavyrrVaati LovePotion follows a strict API. Some 'features' you add might not be the same as what Videah or I will end up adding. We're following the Love 0.10.1 API for everything. Just thought I'd give you and @NichyXD a heads up on that. If you want documentation, you can find it at https://www.love2d.org/wiki/
I believe you're mistaken, I haven't added anything to Lovepotion, I simply forked it and threw in my game files with some of the makefile edited for my specific homebrew. I pointed out my project for its Lua files, just to show how I personally used Lovepotion. My fork is otherwise identical to @VideahGams'.
That said, linking the love API site was a better suggestion, I was just replying quickly since I was working and hadn't thought of it.

Last edited by XavyrrVaati,

TurtleP

Trophies
Website
TurtleP.github.io
XP
Country
United States
@XavyrrVaati No problem. I hope I didn't sound rude or anything ;-;

Also, you don't need to fork it actually. You can download the repo offline (which is better imo) and build it on your computer with the game files themselves uploaded to github (which is what I do). If you need something like TCP/UDP sockets I have that in my current build (working on audio streaming and canvases ugh!). Let me know if you need something like that :3

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@XavyrrVaati No problem. I hope I didn't sound rude or anything ;-;

Also, you don't need to fork it actually. You can download the repo offline (which is better imo) and build it on your computer with the game files themselves uploaded to github (which is what I do). If you need something like TCP/UDP sockets I have that in my current build (working on audio streaming and canvases ugh!). Let me know if you need something like that :3
It's all good, I was trying not to sound rude too lol. I actually don't know how to use github very well, or program for that matter lmao. I've dying for audio streaming on Lovepotion for sure though! I might go ahead and switch to just game files, but at the same time it's nice to have it built in already lol, plus I'm kinda lazy<3

TurtleP

Trophies
Website
TurtleP.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I have a cia branch on my repo which works mostly with filesystem + cias. It doesn't work on romfs for getDirectoryItems, isFile, isDirectory for some reason. Still looking into that one.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have not used this but do you use love on the pc to make a game then put the files in the gamefolder on 3ds
No, Löve is a framework, not an application for making games. You would use a text editor, preferably that supports Lua markup. Write valid love code in Lua. Then place your files into the Lovepotion folder from the latest release, and then put that in your sd:/3ds/ and run it like any homebrew. If you want a .CIA or to use the features not yet available as a release build, then you could clone the Lovepotion github repository, place your game folder in the root of it, modify the makefile to reflect your project title, and then build the entire project to output a CIA and 3DSX/SMDH. That's the easiest/shortest way I can explain it lol. Not to mention you would need devkitARM and need to complie and add the libs required by Lovepotion (for building the CIA/latest commits on Lovepotion).

Reactions: DutchyDutch

TurtleP

Trophies
Website
TurtleP.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Actually, you're half right @XavyrrVaati

Love is a framework but it also is for making games, and games only. You could try to make a normal application with it (eg a DSPfirm dumper), but it might not work since there's no actual way to do any of those 'normal' calls.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, you're half right @XavyrrVaati

Love is a framework but it also is for making games, and games only. You could try to make a normal application with it (eg a DSPfirm dumper), but it might not work since there's no actual way to do any of those 'normal' calls.
I thought my first sentence wasn't quite clear enough, I meant it's a framework for making games, not an application. I should have said it in that order lol.

haazet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im still struggling a bit to build. I have followed to building guide. And after some fumbling finally edited MiniGW PATH correctly and all the portlibs are building fine. However when I run "make build-all" on my lovepotion folder, its giving me this error about "no rule to make thumbdb.o"
http://imgur.com/89MzfNL

Just to be clear im using this as the folder im pointing to build in(The zip from this page), with my game folder added

https://github.com/VideahGams/LovePotion

Or should I be building from the source from releases page 1.0.8?

I did have it spit out a bunch of files in the build folder when I updated all the portlibs versions using a different makefile. Now im back to exactly in the guide.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I did was copy the libs from the libs folder in the Lovepotion and paste them into the devkitARM libs folder. I didn't update them. Then try running
Code:
make clean
then
Code:
make build-all

haazet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I copied the libs from the LovePotion to C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\lib. And ran make clean and make build-all on the Lovepotion folder. And still complaining about thumbs.db.o

Did you update bannertools or anything? Maybe ill try to clean my portlibs and install them over agian, and try once more.

Edit: So I redownloaded from the github fresh and reinstalled all my portlibs and now is throwing an error about find -lctru. http://imgur.com/j54K04F

Edit2: Got it Building! I ran make clean, make,make install on the lctru folder agian and now finally got my .cia

Last edited by haazet,

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I copied the libs from the LovePotion to C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\lib. And ran make clean and make build-all on the Lovepotion folder. And still complaining about thumbs.db.o

Did you update bannertools or anything? Maybe ill try to clean my portlibs and install them over agian, and try once more.

Edit: So I redownloaded from the github fresh and reinstalled all my portlibs and now is throwing an error about find -lctru. http://imgur.com/j54K04F

Edit2: Got it Building! I ran make clean, make,make install on the lctru folder agian and now finally got my .cia
I DID update bannertool, since last time I checked, the LP version was pretty outdated. Aside from that everything else was from source. Glad you go it working!

Blu-Ray

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't get my game into romfs when compiling to cia. I just get the supertoast "no game" screen, even though I do have my game folder in the LovePotion-master directory. It works perfectly as 3dsx, so I'm probably doing something wrong in the compiling. It is correct that I just have to put the game folder in the same directory as the rest of the files from the zip, so the same directory as the makefile, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.