[Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bubble2k16, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Oh, forgot to mention that Sub-Terrania and Red Zone (both developed by Zyrinx)'s music play slightly faster than on emulators like Kega Fusion and BlastEm.
    I think this is an issue with the PicoDrive core itself, but any chance this can be fixed?

These are the correct speeds.

Sub-Terrania:

Red Zone:

One fix should likely fix both games.

2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Nice!
    The new update's been working wonderful so far! :D

Just one question @bubble2k16:
    I noticed that I am getting two configuration files.
    One called picodrive3ds in the root of my SD card, and another which seems to be game specific if I change some stuff.
    What is the difference between the two?

In case they do the same, can we get an option in the menu to disable .cfg per-game and only use the main one at root?

Last edited by ShadowOne333, Jan 13, 2018 at 5:51 AM
  3. garco

garco Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2006
    Italy
    I'll wait che Cia file

Last edited by garco, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:53 PM
  4. AxelGear

AxelGear Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2017
    Brazil
    Porto Alegre
    Thanks bubble2k16 for your amazing work, all your ports are incredible. Now, Sonic CD works flawlessly on New 3DS, no hicups anymore. :P

However, I noted something: Your port doesn't have (yet) an option to change the controller from 3 button to 6 buton and vice versa. This is important, because some genesis games has problems with 6 button controller. Tested Ms Pacman and the directional was strange, sometimes up/down works, sometimes not. In Picodrive from Retroarch, this behaviour is not present with 3 button controller set, but is present if the option is set to 6 button.

A topic on Sega-16 discuss this http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?6890-6-button-controller-incompatibility
    Another one: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...s-giving-you-GAME-OVER-immediately-Fix-inside

Games probably affected:
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Beast Wrestler
    • Sunset Riders
    • Golden Axe 2
    • Exile
    • John Madden Football

Last edited by AxelGear, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM
  5. Ramzitv1

Ramzitv1 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    yeah i will wait for stable release.

6. PvD79

PvD79 Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United States
    I love your emulators as always @bubble2k16
    I cannot get Sega CD Roms to load. The bios file is good and I can load that. My files are bin/cue format. I cannot select the cue file only the bin (like mega drive roms) and that may be the problem. Or I’m doing something wrong but I can’t figure it out. Picodrive always wanted to load the cue file if I remember right. Am I doing something wrong or does .cue files still need to be enabled?

7. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Did you place the BIOS files in the right folder, and are they named correctly?
    If so, Sega CD ROMs should work. .bin files work fine, and CDDA tracks play. Probably because the .bin file includes them, but I'm not sure.

8. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    All my sega cd games are bin, cue files and they are working fine for me, make sure your bios's are names correctly and in the right spot, SD:/3ds/picodrive_3ds/bios

my bios's are named bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin, and bios_CD_U.bin

Last edited by wicksand420, Jan 13, 2018 at 7:23 PM
  9. PvD79

PvD79 Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United States
    LMFAO! So im not a total noob. Tried different bios, locations, etc etc. Your post made me realize my error. My file path was sd:/3ds/picodrive not sd:/3ds/picodrive_3ds

Lesson is, underscores matter!

Thanks for the assist everyone!

wicksand420 likes this.
  10. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Hey @bubble2k16.
    Seeing how well SegaCD games runs on o3ds, do you think 32x games such Knukles Chaotic and Mortal Kombat II will run (almost?) with the same performance on o3ds?

11. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Always glad to help out.

On a side note, Snatcher works awesomely!!
    I did notice that on some games like snatcher, sometimes when you are done investigating stuff, it will take like 30 to 40 seconds to catch up and show the selections on the screen, but if i remember correctly, i think picodrive for psp did this aswell. @bubble2k16, have you thought of porting any of your emulators to wiiu?

Last edited by wicksand420, Jan 13, 2018 at 8:25 PM
  12. Leafgreen26

Leafgreen26 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2017
    United States
    Hey bubble2k16, do any of your emulators have the ability to load roms in zip files.

13. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Picodrive so far cant only one I tried

14. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    TemperPCE CD games as well

15. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Sounds like a tough problem... Will probably need a lot more time on this. Am still looking at the crash the comes up from time to time when loading a game.

My guess is that it is highly unlikely. It has additional processors and graphics to emulate. When emulating the CD, PicoDrive on 3DS has already quite maxed out the Old 3DS processor. :)

Thanks. I don't have a Wiiu, so I'm not that keen to do it. After all, I already have an SNES classic that can emulate a lot of my fav consoles. :)

Yup I never quite supported zip files because I've had problems compiling against the zip library. Call me lazy... :) I may look into it some day.

senkunmusashi, wicksand420 and Robz8 like this.
  16. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Would it be possible to add a config option to your emulators to make the fast forward button a toggle rather than having to hold it down all the time?

17. gamesgod

gamesgod Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2017
    China
    Bare Knuckle - Ikari no Tetsuken ~ Streets of Rage (World).png
    picodrive_3ds

Fusion.png
    Fusion

"Bare Knuckle - Ikari no Tetsuken ~ Streets of Rage (World)", In this game screen, there is a black line on the "1UP-000000", and it's normal to play it with "Fusion".

Last edited by gamesgod, Jan 14, 2018 at 5:42 PM
  18. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    [QUOTE="Yup I never quite supported zip files because I've had problems compiling against the zip library. Call me lazy... :) I may look into it some day.[/QUOTE]

@bubble2k16
    Your efforts will be greatly appreciated! :) The time the decompression and upload to my SD Card take, feels like forever!:rofl:

Last edited by Dodain47, Jan 14, 2018 at 7:43 PM
  19. mariotaotao

mariotaotao Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Hi my friend, i suggest an option to enable/disable touch screen, cuz i found it's easy to touch the lower screen while gaming. How about a combined key or a custom button on touch screen to toggle menu, not the whole area? Thanks.

20. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    I have been running alot of tests on this emulator, and I must say that it works very well, the only thing I can say that is strange is sometimes when switching sega cd games, it throws you back to the 3ds menu, and sometimes when it doesn't send you back to the 3ds menu, its like it is still using the sram from the prior game that was loaded, to give an instance of this, I was playing sonic cd, then I switched to snatcher and played for a while, saved the game with the in game save, and turned it off, when I went back to my game (snatcher), all my progress I made since the switch wasn't saved, the only thing I can think of is that it saved to sonic cd's sram instead of snatchers, has anybody else noticed this at all?