Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested Final Fight CD with the latest r150 bulid on my new3ds. I can hear occasional noise on background music, and a continuous "pop" sound when stage 1 start. The noise and "pop" sound are not obvious, but they don't exist when using Retroarch Picodrive Core. If you use earphone and compare the music of these two emulators, I am sure you will notice the difference.
r150 build where thought we was up to 0.9.1 and 0.9.2beta?

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Tested Final Fight CD with the latest r150 bulid on my new3ds. I can hear occasional noise on background music, and a continuous "pop" sound when stage 1 start. The noise and "pop" sound are not obvious, but they don't exist when using Retroarch Picodrive Core. If you use earphone and compare the music of these two emulators, I am sure you will notice the difference.

Thanks for pointing out. Sounds like syncing problem. V0.92beta reduces the sound delay lag, but as a result it may also cause pops when the emulator can’t keep up with generating the sound samples.

Do you have this problem with other CD games on the n3ds?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Snatcher for SCD has broken sound. At least the U rom.

Also on the new 3DS?

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
these emulators are for old 3ds though i don't think mgba runs close to 60 fps on old 3ds.
think the same here, besides, o3ds also has native hardware already so its not really needed, gamebatte on the other hand would be amazing, since the good emulators for GBC on 3DS are blocked behind retroarch's crashy XMB UI that most people dont know how to remove and the official GB/GBC emulator that runs well but has shit controls and no SGB or GBA mode support, not to mention that you cant play GB games with color

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope that next version then will support rpghax (becuse some homebrew wont work with rpghax becuse of something with the exploit itself)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

that what i used
U have no excuses to not hack your 3DS already

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me Yabause and other saturn emus are much slower than most modern N64 emulators. Still, it has been ported to the 3DS (horrible framerate and all).

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Here it is after testing and fixing bugs:

v0.92 released:
- Added support for Mega CD games
- CD reads are implemented with read-ahead for speed
- Other optimizations for CD games now allow Sonic CD's 2D levels, Final Fight CD and probably others to be playable on an Old 3DS with frame drops with smooth audio, if you can accept that. (FMV's still run slowly due to heavy processing)
- Optimizations
- Fixed PicoDrive crashing bug when loading any save state immediately when the game starts running
- Removed option for flickering sprites as it doesn't do what I thought it should do
- Clear Mega CD PCM buffers on reset
- Fixed random crashing bug when loading CD games due to uninitialized variables
- Added configurable option for 3- or 6-button controller type.
- Added some minor optimizations for the YM2612 FM synth (although it did nothing to improve performance and quality on an old 3DS)
- Fixed bug where the SRAM was previously never saved.
- Now defaults World region games to 60 FPS.
- Added option to force 60 FPS, 50 FPS and default frame rate.
- Added more screen stretching options and properly handles H32 and H40 width modes.
- Reduced lag in the music and sound playback.
- Used the assembly version of the 32X renderer (untested).

Download here:
1.2 MB picodrive_3ds-v0.92.zip

The audio popping with CD games have been fixed. CD music should sound great now!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

v0.92 released:
- Other optimizations for CD games now allow Sonic CD's 2D levels, Final Fight CD and probably others to be playable on an Old 3DS with frame drops with smooth audio, if you can accept that. (FMV's still run slowly due to heavy processing)
- Optimizations
- Fixed PicoDrive crashing bug when loading any save state immediately when the game starts running
- Removed option for flickering sprites as it doesn't do what I thought it should do
- Fixed random crashing bug when loading CD games due to uninitialized variables
- Added some minor optimizations for the YM2612 FM synth (although it did nothing to improve performance and quality on an old 3DS)
- Added more screen stretching options and properly handles H32 and H40 width modes.

Download here:

The audio popping with CD games have been fixed. CD music should sound great now!
Before this was released, I tested the the assembly version of the 32X renderer. It crashes the emulator whenever something tries to be rendered.
Also, smaller ISOs such as the Sonic CD++ and Sonic Megamix hacks, no longer work, and sadly, this release didn't fix the issue.

EDIT: Also, some soft pops are heard on Tempo during a black screen before the crash.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

v0.92 released:
- Optimizations

Download here:

now to see if this works with rpg hax

Reactions: Marttheking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended