Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

JohnSheridan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's a bug:

When I change the framerate in a EU game from 50 to 60 FPS and I restart the game the framerate is again on 50 FPS - but in the options it shows 60 FPS.

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great release, as always! (I think) I found a bug: While playing SMS games, all "stretch" options cut large portions of the screen on the left and right side. I made two pictures to visualize the problem. Check out the text on the top of the screen.

IMG_20180116_200926.jpg IMG_20180116_200945.jpg

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loads boots a rom and runs close to 60 fps it runs at 59.9 but it shouldn't change much so his works with rpghax if anyone had it before Nintendo patched it

Tebra

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for this new version.
Small bug : With cia version 0.92 there is a ghost sound with sms games if it started after playing a MD or Mega CD game

Envoyé de mon Pixel C en utilisant Tapatalk

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Before this was released, I tested the the assembly version of the 32X renderer. It crashes the emulator whenever something tries to be rendered.
Also, smaller ISOs such as the Sonic CD++ and Sonic Megamix hacks, no longer work, and sadly, this release didn't fix the issue.

EDIT: Also, some soft pops are heard on Tempo during a black screen before the crash.

Thanks for the feedback. Did 32X games work at all in v0.91? I never really tried any of them. :blush:

Also, did the smaller ISO games like Sonic CD++ work previously in v0.92b?

Great release, as always! (I think) I found a bug: While playing SMS games, all "stretch" options cut large portions of the screen on the left and right side. I made two pictures to visualize the problem. Check out the text on the top of the screen.

Ok noted. thanks for letting me know. Will fix this asap.

loads boots a rom and runs close to 60 fps it runs at 59.9 but it shouldn't change much so his works with rpghax if anyone had it before Nintendo patched it

Don't worry too much about it. In fact, you can expect a +/- 1 fps during game play especially with CD games, so it's not really a bug.

Thanks for this new version.
Small bug : With cia version 0.92 there is a ghost sound with sms games if it started after playing a MD or Mega CD game

Yup, I discovered this bug too, right after I released the new version. :rofl: Will get this fixed. Thanks!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback. Did 32X games work at all in v0.91? I never really tried any of them. :blush:
They did, but they we're slow, and the 32X side of the graphics we're distorted. Only tested Tempo, in this case.
Also, did the smaller ISO games like Sonic CD++ work previously in v0.92b?
Yes, they did.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the work Bubble, version .92 is running great for me. I'm very impressed with how well Sonic CD runs (compared to Retroarch's Picodrive), but the best part is, by far, the reduced audio lag. Great job!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@bubble2k16

Remove left right D-Pad and circle pad to change between menus and leave it to L/R only to change menus makes it easier to go threw roms then having to hold down forever using left right for that (I HAVE ROMS SPLIT UP PER NAME IN FOLDERS AND THERE IS MORE THEN ONE PAGE PER LETTER)

Cid2mizard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tested Mega-CD, Sonic CD (PAL) and Road Avenger (PAL), I unzip all in a folder, PicoDrive only sees the file iso, I run the file iso and the rom is not launched "Hmm unable to load ROM". I missed something ?

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested Mega-CD, Sonic CD (PAL) and Road Avenger (PAL), I unzip all in a folder, PicoDrive only sees the file iso, I run the file iso and the rom is not launched "Hmm unable to load ROM". I missed something ?
you need to have the bios files in this folder

SD:/3ds/picodrive_3ds/bios

my bios's are named bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin, and bios_CD_U.bin

Last edited by wicksand420,

zhuwz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thank you very much for the update.

I tested r159 build with my new3ds. The music of Final Fight CD sounds OK now. I also tested some MD roms, and found some bugs.

1. Streets of Rage (W) (REV 00) [!]: The background music sounds not right. I can hear a very quick "pop" sound. The music of Retroarch Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive cores sound good. There is also a graphical glitch. A line is missing above the HP gauge. This glitch also exists when using Retroarch Picodrive core, but in Genesis Plus GX core the graphic is normal. Maybe it is core problem.

2. Streets of Rage 2 (JE) [!]: The game runs in 50 fps and is obvious slow. Other Japanese version roms I tested run correctly in 60fps.

3. For all MD roms I tested, I feel the music of your emulator is somewhat different compared with Retroarch Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive cores. The music of Retroarch is more pleasing to my ears, while it is a little weird in your emulator.

4. Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (U) [c][!]: The graphic of some stage grounds are broken, which are normal using Retroarch Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive cores.

5. Can you please map 3DS L X R buttons to MD X Y Z buttons by default?

Finally can you please release a quick update for Temperpce adding a toggle for 2 and 6 buttons? This emulator seems excellent, except I can't play SF2 CE properly on the default 2 buttons layout.

Thanks again for all your effort for bringing these amazing emulators to us!

Jubash

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is anything needed to load Sega CD roms besides having them in a folder and pressing A?
I tried to run Snatcher from a .bin and an .iso and both of them failed to load with a "Hmm... unable to load ROM" message

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anything needed to load Sega CD roms besides having them in a folder and pressing A?
I tried to run Snatcher from a .bin and an .iso and both of them failed to load with a "Hmm... unable to load ROM" message
look at my post above

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, i might add, that while playing snatcher, which is an awesome game, that you should map a button for fast forward, because sometimes it appears that the game gets stuck transitioning between cutscenes, just fastforward and it will fix it.

Reactions: Jubash

RandomMan25XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't bring myself to play SMS in picodrive without FM Synth on the games that supported it (basically most of my SMS games), I know the retroarch version lacked it but is there any possibility at all to add it in this version? (Don't know why I can't but it's probably because I got so used to it in genplusgx on the wii)

Last edited by RandomMan25XX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"