Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can't bring myself to play SMS in picodrive without FM Synth on the games that supported it (basically most of my SMS games), I know the retroarch version lacked it but is there any possibility at all to add it in this version? (Don't know why I can't but it's probably because I got so used to it in genplusgx on the wii)

Ooh I didn't know about the FM Sound Unit, but the sound is so much better, it's a night and day difference! An option to activate this would be awesome!

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If your ISOs are like 128MB or lower, they won't work, but he will look into that issue.

Oh Robz, can you help to describe what happens when a small ISO is loaded? Does the emulator crash? Or it goes into the CD player?

Ooh I didn't know about the FM Sound Unit, but the sound is so much better, it's a night and day difference! An option to activate this would be awesome!

Not sure about the FM sound unit. For me, I can't just turn it on since the code was never there. :D If I've to add that, it'll probably take a while to explore what this FM sound unit does, and how the games communicate with it. Is it true that it only supports specific games? Or all SMS games can play through the FM sound mod.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It goes into the CD player.
Also, it takes a few seconds before the "Press START" message shows in the Sega CD logo screen.
If the small iso is converted to bin does it still do that? Could you give some examples of small games? maybe i have one i could test.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the small iso is converted to bin does it still do that? Could you give some examples of small games? maybe i have one i could test.
The only ones I've tested are SonicCD++ and Sonic Megamix 5.0b.
If the .iso is renamed to .bin, I think it should have the same effect, but I haven't tested that.
Any small game should be any ISOs with CDDA tracks separate from it.

Reactions: wicksand420

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the .iso is renamed to .bin, I think it should have the same effect, but I haven't tested that.
Can you just rename iso to bin like that?

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic CD ++ works when converted to bin, to do so, make sure your cue is correct, burn it to cd, then use imgburn to make a bin image

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sonic CD ++ works when converted to bin, to do so, make sure your cue is correct, burn it to cd, then use imgburn to make a bin image

Mine is the BIN/CUE version. Is your ISO version the one with the WAV files? I can't find such dumps online.

Thank you very much for the update.

I tested r159 build with my new3ds. The music of Final Fight CD sounds OK now. I also tested some MD roms, and found some bugs.

1. Streets of Rage (W) (REV 00) [!]: The background music sounds not right. I can hear a very quick "pop" sound. The music of Retroarch Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive cores sound good. There is also a graphical glitch. A line is missing above the HP gauge. This glitch also exists when using Retroarch Picodrive core, but in Genesis Plus GX core the graphic is normal. Maybe it is core problem.

2. Streets of Rage 2 (JE) [!]: The game runs in 50 fps and is obvious slow. Other Japanese version roms I tested run correctly in 60fps.

3. For all MD roms I tested, I feel the music of your emulator is somewhat different compared with Retroarch Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive cores. The music of Retroarch is more pleasing to my ears, while it is a little weird in your emulator.

4. Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (U) [c][!]: The graphic of some stage grounds are broken, which are normal using Retroarch Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive cores.

5. Can you please map 3DS L X R buttons to MD X Y Z buttons by default?

Finally can you please release a quick update for Temperpce adding a toggle for 2 and 6 buttons? This emulator seems excellent, except I can't play SF2 CE properly on the default 2 buttons layout.

Thanks again for all your effort for bringing these amazing emulators to us!

I noticed the graphic problem with SF2. Not sure why... I'll see if anything can be done with that.

As for music, do you happen to be using an Old 3DS? If so, that might explain the difference. The music is generated at a lower sampling rate which gives a noisier feel, and the high frequency tones won't sound as good. Because I wanted to offload the FM music to the 2nd core to keep things running at 60 FPS, the FM music takes a hit in quality. Unfortunately, but nothing much I can do. The Ne

RandomMan25XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc FM Synth on the SMS side of things make a check of sorts to determine whether to use the SN76489 (PSG) or YM2413 (FM Synth) depending on whether or not the expansion board is detected (I'm probably way off but that's my limited understanding) to be honest I don't have an entire understanding on the subject

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufnIPGYQx8