Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for pointing out. I'll look at it when I have more time. Can you tell me which games require 6 buttons?

Off the top of my head, Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition, Eternal Champions, Mortal Kombat...heck, any of the fighting games, practically :D

Also, while I have your attention (and this will probably be the most selfish request ever): would you mind looking at implementing a second controller on one system? The reason is that one particular Master System game, Cyborg Hunter/Borgman, requires a second controller to enter its in-game submenu, which no other emulator on the 3DS has been able to do so far, I believe.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

JohnSheridan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for the great emulator! Finally I can play all these Disney/Sega games on my 3DS - and Wonderboy!
Do you can add the switch for 50/60 FPS?

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I suspect it could just be the audio buffer amount, so it may not be possible to reduce it on o3DS for performance reasons.
Hope this doesn't come off as begging to have it fixed btw, as is it's still amazing work!

Yes, it is. And there's a couple of other things at play here:

1. The emulator lags about 2-3 frames behind.
2. And in the same way, it lags about 4-8 frames behind.

For #1, it's used to originally hide as much latency as possible in the Snes9x emulator, and most of the same idea carried over to these emulators. The Old 3DS is quite weak so it had to be done this way, otherwise, we will have to spend time waiting for a lot of the memory transfers to complete. But gamers who are sensitive to timing may find the lag puts them off. Only recently, another user brought this up in the TemperPCE emulator.

For #2, it was arbitrary. The best I can do is to shorten the number of buffers it generates ahead, so that may not be too difficult.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello @bubble2k16,

Is it okay for you to add a Readme.md to your Github repo? Some people on /r/3dshacks are complajning about how you have a blank readme.md.

Done. Thanks for pointing out!

Last edited by bubble2k16,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the great emulator! Finally I can play all these Disney/Sega games on my 3DS - and Wonderboy!
Do you can add the switch for 50/60 FPS?
Seconded.
Games that are both NTSC and PAL, only run at PAL (50 FPS) speeds here. NTSC (60 FPS) should be the default option.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am SO looking forward to testing this - the Master System and Mega Drive might be my most favourite systems of all time and deserve better representation on the humble Old 3DS for sure.

For those perhaps still unsure about SG-1000 and Game Gear support please note that the Retroarch Genesis GX Plus core emulates these platforms on O3DS nicely - perhaps better than it does SMS and MD - so use that. Incidentally it also supports the SMS FM sound expansion module (but not without speed loss from increased CPU overhead so this feature is only recommended for N3DS).

Anyway, here are a few more 6-button enhanced Mega Drive games:

- Contra 4
- Ranger-X / Ex-Ranza
- Shinobi III / Super Shinobi II
- Streets Of Rage III / Bare Knuckle III

Also - and I can't recall off the top of my head how well / if the Retroarch Picodrive core supported it but it'd be excellent if Master System Paddle / analogue input was a thing. Notable Japanese SMS games that supported it (and in a couple of cases may be unplayable without it) include:

- Alex Kidd BMX Trail
- Megumi Rescue
- Outrun
- Galactic Protector

Finally - and I realise how ridiculously unrealistic, possibly stupid and / or plain impossible this may sound - but it'd be the coolest thing ever if the eight SMS 3D games were able to utilise the hardware stereoscopic 3D functionality to some (any) degree. The known examples of 3D SMS games being playable in stereoscopic 3D can be found as easter eggs in a couple of the M2-produced Sega 3D Archives collections..but I'm fairly certain these special remastered versions were completely rebuilt from the ground up and therefore even attempting to tackle this would obviously be completely outside the scope of this project. Similarly with trying to make light gun games playable via bottom touch screen mapping. I know you've been asked about this before with regards to SNES Super Scope games and don't expect it'll be any more doable to pull off with Master System games. I think any vaguely experimental implementation / emulation of these peripherals would be super incredible to witness some way down the line but - as I've hopefully been clear about - I don't think for a moment that implementation of this is in any way realistic, trivial or even possible.

Anyhow - enough ramble. Thanks in advance so much for this!

Last edited by SG6000,

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
a side note, I just tried playing Virtua Racing. I didn't realize it was a 32X game until I saw the 3D graphics.

Virtua Racing is not a 32X game. It is a Megadrive game which features Sega's SVP chip, which Picodrive can emulate.

Virtua Racing Deluxe is a 32X game (which Picodrive should also be able to emulate, but if it struggled with the original then I can't imagine what results the 32X version would bring)

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Virtua Racing is not a 32X game. It is a Megadrive game which features Sega's SVP chip, which Picodrive can emulate.

Virtua Racing Deluxe is a 32X game (which Picodrive should also be able to emulate, but if it struggled with the original then I can't imagine what results the 32X version would bring)

Indeed. Retroarch Picodrive's 32X emulation requires an N3DS and with dynamic recompilation toggled on for it to be somewhat playable.

I'd imagine that near full-speed Mega CD emulation on O3DS might not even be theoretically possible without some serious witchcraft.

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Games that are both NTSC and PAL, only run at PAL (50 FPS) speeds here. NTSC (60 FPS) should be the default option.
I strongly support that 60FPS should be the default option for worldwide releases.

Micro Machines Military and Micro Machines 96 do not work yet. Yet they are supported by PicoDrive (according to this issue report: https://github.com/notaz/picodrive/issues/22). Maybe you could look into it :)

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, the new version supports multiple extensions, which is a very good thing. Wasn't able to get RC Pro Am working, but there's always the NES version for that.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Oops... thanks for enlightening me. You can see how little I know about Sega hardware and emulation. :unsure:

Indeed. Retroarch Picodrive's 32X emulation requires an N3DS and with dynamic recompilation toggled on for it to be somewhat playable.

I'd imagine that near full-speed Mega CD emulation on O3DS might not even be theoretically possible without some serious witchcraft.

Yup. Mega CD has an additional processor running almost 2x the speed of the original MD. That's kind of why I didn't quite bother with supporting it from the start. After all, I've been pretty pro-old 3DS since a year and a half ago (it's been about that long since the first Snes9x for 3DS was released!). It'll work on the N3DS, but Retroarch can already do that well.

But I assume turning it on in this port isn't so difficult so it's going to be on my to-do list.

I strongly support that 60FPS should be the default option for worldwide releases.

Micro Machines Military and Micro Machines 96 do not work yet. Yet they are supported by PicoDrive (according to this issue report: https://github.com/notaz/picodrive/issues/22). Maybe you could look into it :)

Thanks for pointing me the way. Will have a look at it. :D

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Hey @bubble2k16, fantastic work as always. I just wanted to note that I filed a couple of issues on the GitHub tracker, but perhaps I should have filed them on the emus3ds repo rather than picodrive_3ds? Obviously I've seen from posts here that you're already aware of the NTSC/PAL issue, the other is my usual aspect ratio garbage. :)

senkunmusashi

@!#?@!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
@bubble2k16, do you have a plan to optimize CPS/CPS2/NEOGEO emulator(FBA's split core) for o3DS? We really hope we could play Cadillacs and Dinosaurs on o3DS.

I completely second this motion! If @bubble2k16 finds the time and adds cps/neoGeo to his amazing emu series for the o2/3ds, life will be complete lol.

After all, I've been pretty pro-old 3DS...

Thank you!

The best deal on the block imho is the o2ds "wedge", cheap and comfortable ergonomics, and with your series of emus, now an amazing retro console.

I never thought I'd ever need a 128gb sdcard, but realising I could now have the entire PCE (and hopefully MD) library of cd games on an O2 DS is making me giddy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2