Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

D

Deleted User

@Robz8 - forgot to mention that you might want to back up your local copy before merging in pr5. I thought I was reverting my own branch.. but ended reverting pr5 (and therefore un-reverting)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How does it sound?
I haven´t tested the Emulator yet. I saw the entry "low pass filter" added at a german romhacking site. PicoDrive 3DS is next on the list after the TemperPCE compatibility list is finished.:)

Reactions: bubble2k16

falconcrest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see this emu has a cheats option....but what format does the cheat file need to be in?i have tried one of my old picodrive psp .pat cheat files
but it doesn't show any cheats...
my setup is like this
sdroot/sega/Brave Battle Saga.bin
Brave Battle Saga.bin.pat
Brave Battle Saga.pat
(tried both cheat file possibilities;doesn't work

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see this emu has a cheats option....but what format does the cheat file need to be in?i have tried one of my old picodrive psp .pat cheat files
but it doesn't show any cheats...
my setup is like this
sdroot/sega/Brave Battle Saga.bin
Brave Battle Saga.bin.pat
Brave Battle Saga.pat
(tried both cheat file possibilities;doesn't work
Cheat support isn't implemented yet.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a bit more extended usage, I get the feeling that a lot of stuff seems to run at a default locked 49.9FPS. This doesn't seem to apply to
Code:
[U]
ROMs, but it does to multi region ROMs that include Europe, or to other ROMs without a specified region (eg ROM hacks)
The same ROMs run 60FPS on other emulators, including Picodrive from RetroArch.

Is there anything up with that?

Last edited by CeeDee,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a bit more extended usage, I get the feeling that a lot of stuff seems to run at a default locked 49.9FPS. This doesn't seem to apply to
Code:
[U]
ROMs, but it does to multi region ROMs that include Europe, or to other ROMs without a specified region (eg ROM hacks)
The same ROMs run 60FPS on other emulators, including Picodrive from RetroArch.

Is there anything up with that?
This will be fixed in the next version.

Reactions: CeeDee

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is. And there's a couple of other things at play here:

1. The emulator lags about 2-3 frames behind.
2. And in the same way, it lags about 4-8 frames behind.

For #1, it's used to originally hide as much latency as possible in the Snes9x emulator, and most of the same idea carried over to these emulators. The Old 3DS is quite weak so it had to be done this way, otherwise, we will have to spend time waiting for a lot of the memory transfers to complete. But gamers who are sensitive to timing may find the lag puts them off. Only recently, another user brought this up in the TemperPCE emulator.

For #2, it was arbitrary. The best I can do is to shorten the number of buffers it generates ahead, so that may not be too difficult.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Done. Thanks for pointing out!

Wow I thought it was me being picky and feeling a bit of input delay on Street Fighter, in wich BTW, after configuring and rebooting seems to do nothing for the 6 button mappings.

Yes the audio is some frames behind too, but no biggie. I would rather have audio lag instead of input delay if you ask me!

Testing more games!!!

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As is, it seems like all games are running at 49.9FPS for some reason, even USA games are doing this which is quite odd, even Sonic 3 is quite slow to play which even in PAL50 runs at normal speed, just at a lower framerate. Something funky seems to be going on here. :V

Hopefully that can be sorted out.
Everything should be running at 60 by default unless it's manually specified in a "console hardware" setting or something.
And even in PAL, games like Sonic 3 run differently.

I know not if this is related to Picodrive itself but RetroArch Picodrive on 3DS seems to work fine for this stuff so... yeah.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
As is, it seems like all games are running at 49.9FPS for some reason, even USA games are doing this which is quite odd, even Sonic 3 is quite slow to play which even in PAL50 runs at normal speed, just at a lower framerate. Something funky seems to be going on here. :V

Hopefully that can be sorted out.
Everything should be running at 60 by default unless it's manually specified in a "console hardware" setting or something.
And even in PAL, games like Sonic 3 run differently.

I know not if this is related to Picodrive itself but RetroArch Picodrive on 3DS seems to work fine for this stuff so... yeah.

To cheatfreak47 and to all the other forummers who mentioned this, yes, I'm updating the default region for US+Europe games to NTSC in the next release. And there will be override to force it to run in Default/Force 60FPS/Force 50FPS. Apologies for that, since Sega was never my thing and I never knew Sega ROMs had multi-regions. :)

To do that I simply had to set some settings within PicoDrive to always put the US region as priority.

I try Sonic and sonic 2 and sound is so bad (o3DS)
I use retroarch and sound good perfect

Yes, unfortunately. :( To ensure that all games ran at 60FPS, it was intentional that I lowered the sampling rate for Old 3DSes so that I could move the FM synthesized music into the 2nd core (which was not fast enough to generate FM synthesized music at the full 44.1Khz). You can try to enable the low pass filter - that will at least help to make everything sound closer to the original hardware (a little muffled like our old TVs did last time). But if either is not acceptable, you'll probably have to stay with Retroarch for now.

I don't know if I have a solution for this but... it may stay this way for a while. :)

Cheat support isn't implemented yet.

I also realized PicoDrive has no native support for cheats, so cheat support is going to have to come a little later than just this week. :) Oh btw, instead or merging your PR, I manually updated those codes into my main branch. FYI. :)

Hi, I've tried to remap 3ds ZR, X, R buttons to X,Y,Z, but it does not work.
Is there a way to switch 3/6 buttons mode?
Thanks.

That should be up and coming in a patch by end of the week. :) Thanks for waiting!

Wow I thought it was me being picky and feeling a bit of input delay on Street Fighter, in wich BTW, after configuring and rebooting seems to do nothing for the 6 button mappings.

Yes the audio is some frames behind too, but no biggie. I would rather have audio lag instead of input delay if you ask me!

Testing more games!!!

The 6 button thingy and the sound lag should be ready in a quick patch by end of the week. :) Thanks for waiting!

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...sound lag should be ready in a quick patch by end of the week.
Sweet, thanks! At least I'm not the only one to notice this time, now I feel slightly less crazy :D

As with Devil's Crush on PCE, I've noticed Devil Crash for MD does a great job at revealing audio lag.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: