[Release] Snickerstream - Revived! A proper release with lots of improvements and new features.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by RattletraPM, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Cecil_FF4

Cecil_FF4 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2016
    United States
    I've been having issues using Snickerstream (or any streaming client). Hopefully you all can help me out.

I can't get streaming on my N3DSXL working at all. Each client I've tried says it connects, and sometimes I'll get a blue and pink flash on my console, but I never see an image on my computer.

I'm on the latest b9s/luma/fw. I've tried running both PabloMK7 and FONZD versions of bootNTR Selector (I know now these are just aesthetically different), running bootNTR 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6. I've tried kit-kat, Snickerstream, and UWPStreamer in both Win10 and Win7, with firewalls disabled and AV turned off. I've tried this on two real computers and on virtualbox. I've tried it on both 32-bit and 64-bit computers. I reset my console between every test and leave it on the home menu when attempting to connect. It connects on the correct IP, verified by MAC on my PC and by the Rosalina debugger. I can't try this on a different network atm, but I'd like to get my home network working with this.

To add to this, I can't get it working with Luma 9.0, 8.1.1, or 8.1. RattletraPM recommended I forward ports 8000 for TCP and 8001 for UDP, but that didn't do anything either.

I think I need to know what streamers setups are like. Me, I got a Linksys WRT54G router with DD-WRT. I can connect to my PC using both FTP (i.e. 3DShell) and SMB (i.e. microSD Manager) clients. I have no MAC filtering. I got internet on my console. There's gotta be some obscure router setting or something that is causing this issue but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Here's my log, though I doubt how useful it'll be.

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      1.2 KB
      Views:
  2. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    The log was indeed useful, as I was suspecting this is a firewall issue. Snickerstream will always tell the user whether a packet was succesfully sent or recieved (in your case, the remoteplay packet). Howerer, in your log the packet isn't getting sent at all, which is a common indicator that something is obstructing the packet (usually a firewall). Aside from Windows Firewall, which you said you've disabled, DD-WRT also has an integrated firewall, so you might need to configure that aswell.

3. Cecil_FF4

Cecil_FF4 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2016
    United States
    I've tried disabling the SPI Firewall and it changed nothing, even after rebooting the router. The log file didn't change in those tests.

4. Stalls

Stalls GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    do you have NTR 3.6? I think its an issue with NTR 3.6 not being supported

5. avReal

avReal Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2017
    Poland
    I use NTR 3.6 from BootNTR and it's working properly :P So probably that's not the guy's issue

Stalls likes this.
  6. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    We talked a bit on GitHub and it isn't related to NTR 3.6. Because @Cecil_FF4 said that he tried multiple VMs, streaming clients, disabling the firewall and the log still shows that the packet is blocked in some way then it's most likely a DD-WRT setting that causes this issue. Still, I don't have a DD-WRT capable modem so I can't help you there =/

7. astrals

astrals Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    France
    what is the real utility of waitremoteplayinit ? i do not see any different with waitremoteplayinit=0 or 5000+ /

8. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Waitremoteplayinit specifies the time that Snickerstream waits before sending the remoteplay packet. If Snickerstream recieves a frame during that time then it means remoteplay has already been started so it starts displaying frames right away, otherwise it sends the remoteplay packet and waits for a frame. (Most people don't need to edit it, it's there mainly if you have a bad connection)

...I really need to make a wiki and describe each INI setting, I know. ^^"
    I'm not doing it atm mainly because of all the holidays and such!

EDIT: A value of 0 or negative will always send the packet under all circumstances. Also, if you use the unstable GitHub version will display in the title what Snickerstream is doing during the connection process, so you might want to use that if you're unsure about what you're doing.

Last edited by RattletraPM, Dec 24, 2017
    astrals likes this.
  9. astrals

astrals Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    France
    thanks for the clarification, because i have tryed different delay but no differences; ( i have compiled the lastest source )

10. amitgeva

amitgeva Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Iceland
    question that includes USUM, can I do soft resets and use SnickerStream at the same time? I want to stream shiny hunting on Twitch and my hunts are Soft Resets

11. Silent Hell

Silent Hell GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    Doesn't NTR break soft-resets? I know for a fact soft resetting on Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates makes a black screen. Echoes sometimes, SOMEHOW survives. The only workaround on those games that I know is making a bookmark save.

12. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Yes, NTR brakes soft resets. There's not much that anyone can do about that either due to how NTR itself works.

13. Silent Hell

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    Can someone smarter than me explain why that is or why it can't be fixed? I'm aware Cell is still developing it to some degree so what is preventing it from getting fixed?

14. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    AFAIK, NTR's Remoteplay function uses a part of memory available only to N3DSes (the extra portion of FCRAM) that is cleared when you soft-reset a game, causing the game to freeze - which is why Remoteplay is only available on N3DSes and also what makes you unable to soft-reset once Remoteplay has started.

15. Mimikyuuu

Mimikyuuu Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2017
    New Zealand
    So there is no way to do soft-reset + stream using snickerstream ever?..this is a big problem :(

16. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Sadly, no - but keep in mind that this isn't a Snickerstream-specific problem. It's caused by how NTR itself works, so any other NTR streaming client out there also has this issue.

17. Mimikyuuu

Mimikyuuu Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2017
    New Zealand
    but still it would be great if this issue gets fixed..i hope someday there will be an alternate way to stream + soft reset

18. AngeloftheNight091

AngeloftheNight091 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Canada
    Sinnoh
    is there a way to run two sessions of Snickerstream, with two new nintendo 3ds consoles running NTR?

19. Silent Hell

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    Finally went around to actually testing a recording on my laptop toaster and a cheap aux cable and it looks very nice. Is there any way to balance priority for both screens? If not, I'm fine with that, but just curious.

20. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    I haven't looked into it yet, partly because I still need to code some core functions but also because I only own one N3DS. Still, one user said that it managed to get multiple 3DS streaming working on NTRViewer (even if it didn't say how) so if you know how to do it, then please let me know and I'll see what I can do. (Still, it looks like NTR doesn't allow to change the UDP port used by remoteplay, so I don't know if it really is possible without manually recompiling NTR CFW...)

If you mean to make priority the same for both top and bottom screen then yes, there's a way - simply set the priority value to 1 ;)

Silent Hell likes this.