[Release] Snickerstream - Revived! A proper release with lots of improvements and new features.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by RattletraPM, Nov 2, 2017.

1. NoHax3Win

NoHax3Win Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2017
    United States
    It gets instantly removed by Windows Defender. It doesn't even work in the first place! Now I can't use my 3DS because my screen is broken and Snickerstream doesn't work!

2. 98otiss

98otiss Your local garbage

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    no
    lol i want to stream o3DS XL so bad but i dont wanna spend 10 billion to install a capture card

3. MaelstromAlpha

MaelstromAlpha Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2007
    I love the work you've been doing on Snickerstream RattletraPM! I have a question for a possible feature.. not even sure how possible it is (or if someone has asked for this before.. sorry if they have!). One of the major problems I have run into when trying to use NTR streaming to record gameplay footage is the FPS fluctuation. With my network, I usually get between 35~50 fps, which is great.. except having the game constantly fluctuate between 35~50 fps looks bad in recording.. almost like stuttering as your eyes are adjusting to the frame rate changes. Is it possible to add some sort of "frame limiter" so I can cap the output from Snickerstream to be a constant 30 fps? I feel that shaving off the extra frames to keep everything at a neat 30 fps would result in a much smoother viewing experience (it's not like we're going to achieve 60 fps any time soon, or ever, using NTR streaming).

Thanks for the hard work and happy new year! :)

4. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    I haven't used much of Snickerstream myself but I believe "Framelock=30" in the settings.ini will do the trick.

Though I'm not sure its any of the pre-compiled releases, would need to compile the latest version.

Last edited by DarkSynopsis, Jan 2, 2018
  5. MaelstromAlpha

MaelstromAlpha Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2007
    :O I will try that out, thanks DarkSynopsis! Hopefully that works :D

6. Silent Hell

Silent Hell GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    Did it break your 3DS or something? lol

7. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    I'm glad you like Snickerstream so far! :D
    As @DarkSynopsis said, I've already coded an experimental frame limiter function in the unstable GitHub version (I wanted to release a new stable version before the end of last year but I wasn't able to... ^^" ). Like other advanced settings, you can set the frame limiter by adding/changing Framelock=30 to the INI (I'll write a wiki page that explains all the various INI settings when I have the time!). Once set, Snickerstream will limit the framerate of the prioritized screen and will show its FPS in the title bar, so you'll know if it's working correctly!

By the way, happy new year to you too! ^_^

There's literally no way to brick your 3DS using Snickerstream (let alone break one of the screens) so I think he just meant to use it to play games on his console with an already broken screen.

8. Silent Hell

Silent Hell GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Chicagoland area
    I know. I was just poking fun.

RattletraPM likes this.
  9. spookfuls

spookfuls Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2018
    United States
    I'm not too sure of what exactly I'm doing wrong? I installed ntrboot fine, I opened it and had it running, I've put in the IP, checked the wifi signal, turned off the antivirus (I only have Windows Firewall, no other 3rd party virus protectors), but I continue to get the 'Could not start remoteplay on (N)3DS. Is this because of my router or firewall still blocking the file? Or is there something I'm not checking? I'll post any info needed (I couldn't find a log for the error itself?).

10. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    I don't know if it was a typo on your part but having CFW via ntrboot is not enough, you also need to install and run NTR CFW (I recommend to install it via BootNTR Selector as it sets up everything for you automatically, just remember to use the latest NTR version from its menu).

If you still have errors, set LogLevel to 3 in Snickerstream.ini and Snickerstream should produce a log file - just remember to turn it back off after that because setting loglevel to 3 will produce very big logfiles.

11. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    This isn't really an update to the client itself, but I just wanted to let you all know that I've just made a Wiki page detailing all the currently available INI settings!

Some of them can only be changed by editing the INI itself (either because they're experimental features or because the average user shouldn't need to change them and could cause problems if set incorrectly) but if you want to fine tune your streaming setup then you might want to give it a look! ;)

Majickhat55 and ImInsane like this.
  12. LeoIeiri

LeoIeiri 家入レオ

May 10, 2017
    Japan
    Tokyo
    This is only for New 3DS - New 2DS?

13. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Yes.

14. MaelstromAlpha

MaelstromAlpha Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2007
    I know this might be the wrong place to ask about this.. but for some reason since trying out NTR streaming I can no longer get the bottom screen working no matter what option I set (always appears as a black screen) and can't seem to break 23fps anymore, even when using a USB wifi dongle. Before updating my Luma to the most recent, changing from arm9loaderhax to boot9strap and installing the most recent version of boot NTR (with NTR 3.6) I used to get 38~45fps pretty much all of the time. Does anyone have any idea what might have changed? The bottom screen showing nothing in any of the NTR viewers (Snickerstream and Kit-Kat) is the most confusing thing.. I have changed the settings multiple times, but it will always show a black screen. The only other thing I can think of that has changed between now and my old setup is Windows 10 updates :( If I could just get this low fps and black screen problem solved Snickerstream with the 30fps lock seems perfect for me!

Last edited by MaelstromAlpha, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:27 PM
  15. EQQ

EQQ Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Vietnam
    If you can get a ds4 to work with input redirection it would get really interesting. Keep going :wub:

16. superferret1

superferret1 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    United States
    mine has a black screen please help

17. Fullmental

Fullmental Newbie

Newcomer
    Monday
    United States
    Hey there thanks for your software, really nice upgrade from the standard viewer!

I was curious are there plans to increase the interpolation options in a future release? Right now there are only two for d2d (linear and nearest neighbor), and both are pretty awful. D2d 1.1 supports multisample, anisotropic, and cubic interpolation, any particular reason these are not supported? The difference in quality is so great I'd actually prefer to use the software rendering over hw with linear only, but of course that has its own host of problems that make it impractical for use.

18. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    I'm not really sure what happened there but I doubt it has anything to do with Windows 10 updates. Have you tried reverting back to the previous Luma version and, if it still won't work, what are your settings?
    FIY you can already use input redirection in Snickerstream using Luma's integrated function and any compatible client (such as InputRedirectionClient-Qt) ;)

As of now, Snickerstream uses D2D 1.0, which is a bit more limited when it comes to drawing bitmaps onscreen but it makes my client work out of the box with Windows 7 (no platform update required) and it also works on Vista (sure, pretty much no one uses Vista anyways, but hey - it's still somewhat of a plus if you ask me).

I thought that supporting at least one more interpolation mode than nearest neighbor (the same used by NTRViewer internally when scaling the image) was good enough for most people and at the same time it would be better compatible when running under Wine (D2D should be supported by Wine, but should is apparently not good enough...). If I switch to D2D 1.1 on paper it would gain four more interpolation modes, but in practice only two of them would make sense to be used with Snickerstream because multisampling and anisotropic are only useful in 2D contexts when you want to smooth out the edges of rotated images. Not just that, but HQ Bicubic doesn't really make that much sense in this context either as it would only make the image look better if you're downscaling it first.

TLDR: I don't know if it will be worth to use D2D 1.1 over 1.0 just to effectively gain two more (well, more like "one and a half") interpolation modes while supporting less platforms than before.