Homebrew [Release] TemperPCE for 3DS

senkunmusashi

@!#?@!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Glad that you like it! :D I enjoyed writing these emulators.

Yes, there's a next port coming up. I'm currently working on porting PicoDrive into this series of emulators. The implementation was pretty quick because it was already so optimized (as evident in the retroarch port), i didn't even have to write a hardware renderer. But the retroarch port still suffers from slowdowns regularly when things get busy. So on the old 3DS, I shifted the FM synthesizer emulation (arguably very heavy in terms of processing) to the 3DS's 2nd core.

On an old 3DS, it actually does runs full speed for MD games -- no slow downs, but we have to live with lower sound quality at 30khz on an old 3DS (despite offloading the FM synthesizer to the parallel 2nd core), which is really, really unfortunate. :unsure:

But do look out for it in the next couple of weeks.

Picodrive is an awesome addition to the series! And thank you for looking after all of us O3ds and O2DS owners, sacrificing a bit of sound quality for full speed is a perfectly acceptable tradeoff.

I still have my original Megadrive somewhere in storage, it is something that reminds to always go with what the heart feels not what the head (or trend) says. Because way back then, you were either Nintendo or Sega, cutesy or gritty. I was in Japan and wanted to buy a Turbografx but all my friends laughed. The hype got to me and to my everlasting regret I bought a Megadrive instead.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In Rondo of blood (eng) sound is cracking, noice. What am i doing wrong?
After noisy 1 cutscene music in game mutes, stays only sound of game.

Couple of things you can try. First, make sure you have the bios files, try changing them in settings and see if that solves the sound problem. If that doesn't work, try the original unpatched jp game with your current setup. If the original jp game works, then it's a problem with the English patched game. You can then try another copy, bin cue versions work for me.

x149te

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Couple of things you can try. First, make sure you have the bios files, try changing them in settings and see if that solves the sound problem. If that doesn't work, try the original unpatched jp game with your current setup. If the original jp game works, then it's a problem with the English patched game. You can then try another copy, bin cue versions work for me.
Changed all 3 BIOS... Ahem, where i could get *cough-coughlink-cough*. Sorry, little sick.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sounds good to me. How's performance on New 3DS systems?

The most recent update uses the fastest CPU emulation core. A lot of compatibility bugs with that fast core has been fixed, so much that now the fast core is the default core used by the emulator. I think it runs well on the Old 3DS, so it should run very well on the New 3DS. :)

*And I've just posted a release for PicoDrive in another thread. Do download and have a playthrough, and provide your bug reports and feedback there!

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wow! Picodrive already? That was quick! Loving the series, wondering what's coming next! Neo Geo... Maybe?

Hmm... I'm going off on my break again... cos work is catching up once more. It'll be a while before I start to attempt anything.

For now, I'm just thinking about leaving the Old 3DS behind and maybe try something for the New 3DS.

Reactions: SaffronXL
D

Deleted User

Hmm... I'm going off on my break again... cos work is catching up once more. It'll be a while before I start to attempt anything.

For now, I'm just thinking about leaving the Old 3DS behind and maybe try something for the New 3DS.
New 3DS only!? I´m curious already!:)

senkunmusashi

@!#?@!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles

Ah. Have a good break/work and thanks for all your releases giving extended breaths for the O2/3DS, Picodrive port was a nice new year surprise! Thanks again!

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I do appreciate your dedication to the legacy hardware, because not all of us can afford a New 3DS. I was lucky enough to get one at a decent price a couple of years ago, but if the stars hadn't aligned for me, I'd be stuck with the old 3DS, and I would need emulators specifically designed for it.

Having said that... if you think you can take advantage of the New 3DS hardware to make an emulator that the old system just couldn't handle, by all means do. I'd like to see what you have planned. Besides, New 3DS systems are getting cheaper and cheaper, considering that it's old equipment and Nintendo seems eager to move on to the Switch. And cardboard toys. Ahem.

D

Deleted User

@bubble2k16 Here are the results of my TemperPCE Version 1.01 Testing Session:

PC Engine Games:
  • Bodycon Quest 2 (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I noticed some flickering while moving around.
  • Druaga no Tou (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Green Screen after boot. Unplayable.
  • Dungeon Explorer (J & U) - O3DS & N3DS: I noticed some flickering while moving around.
  • Fighting Run (J) - - O3DS & N3DS: The Character Portrait & the Robot Model are glitched up.
  • Ghost Manor (U) - O3DS & N3DS: Sometimes Glitches in the Background during the Intro.

• Impossamole (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I noticed some Color flickering in the Trees.
  • Kattobi! Takuhai-kun (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I noticed some glitches on the Power bar when moving around.
  • Magicial Chase (J & U) - O3DS & N3DS: Flickering in the Background.
  • Mizubaku Adventure (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I noticed some flicker in the Background.
  • Momotarou Densetsu 2 (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Water in the Pond flickers.
  • Necros no Yousai (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Game freezes during the Intro. Unplayable.
  • Neutopia (J & U) - O3DS & N3DS: The Water flickers.
  • New Zealand Story (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I noticed some flickering in the Background.
  • Ordyne (J & N) - O3DS & N3DS: White lines in the Background.
  • Power Gate (J) - O3DS & N3DS: White lines in the Background.
PC Engine CD Games:
  • Ane-San (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Glitches on Screen.
  • Asuka 120% Maxima Burning Fest (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Part of the Textbar in the Story mode is missing.
  • Blood Gear (J) - O3DS & N3DS: You can hear an ringing Sound after the Titlescreen. The Sound stops after the Cutscene.
  • Camp California(U) - O3DS & N3DS:Black Border on Screen before the start of the first Level.

• Doraemon - Nobita no Dorabian Night (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Weard glitching Error on Screen. Unplayable.
  • Fire Pro Jyoshi - Shoumu Choujyo Taisen - Zeno vs JWP (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an Error Screen after the BIOS Intro. '''Needs an Arcade Pro Card.''' Unplayable.

• IQ Panic (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Game freezes during the Intro. Tried both Core. Unplayable.

• Last Armageddon (Version 6-0625-RIF) (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an ARM 11 exception occured error after walking around the first Area. Unplayable.
  • Last Armageddon (Version 6-0625-R3D) (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an ARM 11 exception occured error after walking around the first Area. Unplayable.
  • Last Armageddon (Version 6-0904-R1D) (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an ARM 11 exception occured error after walking around the first Area. Unplayable.
  • Lemmings (J) - O3DS & N3DS: A Glitch on the Titlescreen.
  • Madou Monogatari 1 - Honou no Sotsuenji (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Black lines on Screen during the Intro Cutscene.
  • Magicoal (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Glitches on the top and bottom of the Screen.
  • Megami Tengoku (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Black lines and glitches during the Intro Cutscene.
  • Mirai Shounen Conan (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Emulator crashes with the fast CPU Core.
  • Monster Lair (U) - O3DS & N3DS: Some Enemies have glitches.
  • Nekketsu Legend Baseball (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Black Screen after the Intro Cutscene. Tried both Cores. Unplayable.
  • Puyo Puyo CD (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Clouds in the Background of the first Cutscene have glitches.

• Ranma Ni Bun no Ichi - Toraware no Hanayome (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I´m stuck after the Titlescreen. Unplayable.
  • Ruin - Kami no Isan (J) - O3DS & N3DS: GFX Glitches on Screen.

• Seiryuu Densetsu Monbit (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Black line on the top of the Screen during the first Cutscene.
  • Seiya Monogatari - Anearth Fantasy Stories (Debug Version) (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an Black Screen after the BIOS Intro with the Fast Core. Use the Compatible Core.
  • Seiya Monogatari - Anearth Fantasy Stories (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an Black Screen after the BIOS Intro with the Fast Core. Use the Compatible Core.
  • Seiya Monogatari - Anearth Fantasy Stories Taikenban (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an Black Screen after the BIOS Intro with the Fast Core. Use the Compatible Core.
  • Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (U) - O3DS: The Audio has much Noise during Cutscenes. O3DS & N3DS: GFX glitches during Cutscenes.
  • Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Volume 2 (U) - O3DS: The Audio has much Noise during Cutscenes. O3DS & N3DS: GFX glitches during Cutscenes.
  • Sherlock Holmes no Tantei Kouza (J) - O3DS: The Audio has much Noise during Cutscenes. O3DS & N3DS: GFX glitches during Cutscenes.
  • Sherlock Holmes no Tantei Kouza 2 (J) - O3DS: The Audio has much Noise during Cutscenes. O3DS & N3DS: GFX glitches during Cutscenes.
  • Shin Megami Tensei (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Textfield wobbles.
  • Sol Bianca (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Colors flicker when you move.
  • Strider Hiryuu (J) - O3DS & N3DS: I get an ARM 11 exception occured Error after the Titlescreen. Unplayable.
  • Super Albatross (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Glitches during the Intro.
  • Super CD-ROM2 Taiken Soft Shuu (J) - O3DS & N3DS: First Game won´t boot.

• Travelers! - Densetsu wo Buttobase (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Glitches on the top of the Screen when you move around.

• Valis 2 (J) - O3DS & N3DS: The Emulator won´t recognise my bin/cue file. Unplayable.
  • Wonderboy 3 - Monster Lair (J) - O3DS & N3DS: Some Enemys have glitches.

PC Engine Homebrew:

• Castlevania NES2PCE O3DS & N3DS: Audio sounds a bit odd. Glitches on Screen.
  • Contra NES2PCE O3DS & N3DS: Audio sounds a bit odd. Glitches on Screen.
  • Ducktales 2 NES2PCE: Audio sounds a bit odd. Glitches on Screen.
  • Jackal NES2PCE: Audio sounds a bit odd. Glitches on Screen.
  • Super Mario Bros NES2PCE O3DS & N3DS: Audio sounds a bit odd. Glitches on Screen.

Attachments

• Ane-San_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1045].b001.jpg
    Ane-San_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1045].b001.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Ane-San_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1045].b002.jpg
    Ane-San_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1045].b002.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Asuka_120%_Maxima_Burning_Fest_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1049].b001.jpg
    Asuka_120%_Maxima_Burning_Fest_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1049].b001.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 395
  • Camp_California_(NTSC-U)_[TGXCD1013].b001.jpg
    Camp_California_(NTSC-U)_[TGXCD1013].b001.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Lemmings_(NTSC-J)_[SSCD2003].b001.jpg
    Lemmings_(NTSC-J)_[SSCD2003].b001.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Lemmings_(NTSC-J)_[SSCD2003].b002.jpg
    Lemmings_(NTSC-J)_[SSCD2003].b002.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Madou_Monogatari_1_-_Honou_no_Sotsuenji_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1047].b001.jpg
    Madou_Monogatari_1_-_Honou_no_Sotsuenji_(NTSC-J)_[NAPR-1047].b001.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Magicoal_(NTSC-J)_[HECD3002].b001.jpg
    Magicoal_(NTSC-J)_[HECD3002].b001.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 351
  • Megami_Tengoku_(NTSC-J)_[HECD4008].b002.jpg
    Megami_Tengoku_(NTSC-J)_[HECD4008].b002.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Megami_Tengoku_(NTSC-J)_[HECD4008].b001.jpg
    Megami_Tengoku_(NTSC-J)_[HECD4008].b001.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 358
  • Monster_Lair_(NTSC-U)_[TGXCD1003].b001.jpg
    Monster_Lair_(NTSC-U)_[TGXCD1003].b001.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 319
  • Ruin_-_Kami_no_Isan_(NTSC-J)_[JCCD3013].b002.jpg
    Ruin_-_Kami_no_Isan_(NTSC-J)_[JCCD3013].b002.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 358
  • Travelers!_-_Densetsu_wo_Buttobase_(NTSC-J)_[JCCD4015].b001.jpg
    Travelers!_-_Densetsu_wo_Buttobase_(NTSC-J)_[JCCD4015].b001.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Ruin_-_Kami_no_Isan_(NTSC-J)_[JCCD3013].b001.jpg
    Ruin_-_Kami_no_Isan_(NTSC-J)_[JCCD3013].b001.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Super_Albatross_(NTSC-J)_[TJCD9002].b001.jpg
    Super_Albatross_(NTSC-J)_[TJCD9002].b001.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 312
  • SuperMarioBrosNES2PCE.b001.jpg
    SuperMarioBrosNES2PCE.b001.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 387
Last edited by ,
Reactions: senkunmusashi

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi @Dodain47 ,

Are you sure you got the right CD-ROM BIOS? I just tried Aurora Quest, Alshark, Might and Magic 3, Spriggan Mark, Puyo Puyo CD, and Psychic Storm, they work perfectly fine.

I am using the Super CD-ROM2 System BIOS, version 3.00.

Reactions: senkunmusashi
D

Deleted User

Hi @Dodain47 ,

Are you sure you got the right CD-ROM BIOS? I just tried Aurora Quest, Alshark, Might and Magic 3, Spriggan Mark, Puyo Puyo CD, and Psychic Storm, they work perfectly fine.

I am using the Super CD-ROM2 System BIOS, version 3.00.
Hm i need to check again. I´m not sure.:huh:

Updated: I changed the BIOS file. It was Super CD-Rom System 3.00. I retest and update the wiki, the list, right away!:)

Last edited by ,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hm i need to check again. I´m not sure.:huh:

Updated: I changed the BIOS file. It was Super CD-Rom System 3.00. I retest and update the wiki, the list, right away!:)

I think most of the games that has an error screen after the BIOS has that problem.

Also, I was wondering for some of those games that lock up... does using the original core resolve the problem?

Thank you for the effort! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water