[Release] VirtuaNES for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bubble2k16, Mar 23, 2017.

1. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Hmmm found some small bugs with the cheats and also some mapper problem with Kabuki Quantum Fighter. Will post a quick fix tonight.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Haha... I totally missed your comment about the link. I've updated the first page. Thanks for pointing out!

2. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Muxi, angelhp, Gamecuber and 7 others like this.
  3. EsperDream

EsperDream Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2017
    United States
    FDS doesn't work for me. I can't figure out what's wrong.

So can someone tell me if there's a secret to this?

4. gamesgod

gamesgod Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2017
    China
    1.png
    2.png

3.png

@bubble2k16
    It is recommended to add more screen stretch, For example: 299:240 (ntsc 4:3 stretch width only)
    Because the vast majority of games are designed for NTSC display (256X224), 299:224 = 4:3,
    But show PAL 256X240 (this can be perfect point-to-point display line, 3DS is 240 lines), then increase the top and bottom of the 8 lines, 299: (224+8+8) = 299:240, you can achieve the perfect 4:3 show!

virtuanes_3ds-v1.01_plus.zip

Attached Files:

Last edited by gamesgod, Dec 26, 2017
    senkunmusashi likes this.
  5. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Hey check out the instructions in the first post:

FDS BIOS
    1. To load .FDS games, make sure that you get the FDS BIOS.
    2. Rename the BIOS to disksys.rom and place it in /3ds/virtuanes_3ds/bios/disksys.rom

6. EsperDream

EsperDream Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2017
    United States
    @bubble2k16 what I meant is that I tried doing that but it didn't work.

I tried all kinds of bios but still no luck.

Is there something that you can think of that people may get wrong?

Edit: By the way, when your playing and then touch the home button when you resume the display gets stick and it won't go away unless you exit.

The sound and controls still work but the display of the game gets stick.

Last edited by EsperDream, Dec 25, 2017
  7. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Hmm... you should get the Nintendo Famicom Disk System BIOS. I just tried loading up Esper Dreams (same as your nick), and it seems to work.

And yes, the Home button does wonky stuff to the emulator. Try to avoid that. :) Just exit gracefully.

8. Palom

Palom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    Aside from graphics issues on the final boss and ending in Yume Penguin Monogatari (the translated version anyway), pretty much the only game I tried that doesn't work as intended is Nintendo World Championships 1990. I checked the Windows version of VirtuaNES, and it doesn't have support for the dip switches that control how much time you have on the three games before the final score is tallied, meaning it only counts down from 4:49 as soon as it starts (as opposed to other settings like the official 6:21), so I don't expect anything to be done about that.

If you're interested in getting NWC to run, here are the methods. The normal way is pressing Start on the 2ND controller, which can't be done here (or if it can, I must have missed it). Another way is editing the ROM to allow pressing Start on the first controller. There are instructions online for doing that. The last and easiest method (and the one I'm using) is using a cheat: with it active, the game automatically starts as soon as it's opened.

Attached Files:

bubble2k16 likes this.
  9. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Cool. Could you send the code, or do a pull request on Github? I can incorporate this into the main build.

10. gamesgod

gamesgod Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2017
    China
    Well, Of course.

Attached Files:

bubble2k16 and senkunmusashi like this.
  11. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Thank you! Will have a look at this!

12. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    Just tried it out. Works great. Thanks!

13. Krem Quay

Krem Quay Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php?title=VTxx

Hi @bubble2k16, here's information on Nintendo-on-a-Chip from NewRisingSun. Do you want to add support for the VT titles to VirtuaNES? The article should explain everything (I don't program but it looks like a promising resource). Also, VT02 is compatible with VirtuaNES already, but VT03 and VT09 are not (due to extra graphics)

14. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    I think the new VT hardware was brought up before earlier. I have no intentions to support anything outside of what VirtuaNES has already done. :)

15. Krem Quay

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Yeah I did bring it up. The only way to currently play VTxx games outside EmuVT now is on a build of Nintendoulator that supports VT03/09 games. I just thought it would be cool if support got added.

Also, "support anything outside of what VirtuaNES". Didn't you add some FCEUX/FCEUMM mappers?

16. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Haha, yes I did. But those were relatively simple to add. I'm sure adding new hardware emulator is going to take a lot more time. I guess I'm not that keen in investing that time. :)

17. Krem Quay

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Yeah and it's not that in demand. Only like, i don't know, 12 people would enjoy it, right?

18. gamesgod

gamesgod Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2017
    China
    I tried to listen to the sound effects of the NES VC game, and I didn't know what it had made, the sound is surprisingly good!
    It seems not just the reason for 44.1Khz, It's Cool if VirtuaNES_3DS can be improved as well.