Homebrew [Release] VirtuaNES for 3DS

PrizmOcto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HELL YEAH! There are not that many NES emu's for old 3ds/2ds users. I have been using it and everything I threw at it ran at 60fps! Thank you!:grog:

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just saying, you can make RetroArch's debugging text disappear if you tap on the upper half of the lower screen.
If you tap the lower half, it takes you to the menu.
Took me way too long to realize.

Oops, I had no idea! :) Maybe I should just drop this and use RetroArch from now :rofl2:

Is there a way to save the button configuration? I don't like having to change it every time I start the emulator.

Oops I thought it does save the button config. Let me take a closer look at it...

I actually second this. It shouldn't be too hard to omit drawing certain x,y to the screen, right?

It's quite easy to do. It's already committed to the latest codes and will be in the next release. :)

HELL YEAH! There are not that many NES emu's for old 3ds/2ds users. I have been using it and everything I threw at it ran at 60fps! Thank you!:grog:
works and looks great, thanks man!

My pleasure. :)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@bubble2k16 Wasn't sure if you saw this:
Haven't tried this, but I have an idea that'll be useful for InputRedirection users.
How about adding 2P support? It's controls can be mapped to the following 3DS buttons:
  • Circle Pad is 2P D-pad
  • X is 2P A
  • Y is 2P B
  • L is 2P Start
  • R is 2P Select
Do you think this is possible to implement?
If one has a controller, like for example, a Wiimote:

1P Wiimote:
D-pad = 3DS D-pad = NES 1P D-pad
1 = 3DS B = NES 1P B
2 = 3DS A = NES 1P A
Plus = 3DS Start = NES 1P Start
Minus = 3DS Select = NES 1P Select

2P Wiimote:
D-pad = 3DS Circle Pad = NES 2P D-pad
1 = 3DS Y = NES 2P B
2 = 3DS X = NES 2P A
Plus = 3DS L = NES 2P Start
Minus = 3DS R = NES 2P Select

This could make playing 2-player with NES games possible on a 3DS console.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the famicom disk system implementation bubble2k16. Do I have to put the disksys.rom in the same folder "virtuanes_3ds" if using the .cia version?

Edit: Nevermind, I found looking at your code that the path to the disksys.rom is 3ds/virtuanes_3ds/bios/disksys.rom

Last edited by zerofalcon,

ToTheMax5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good emulator- runs games well and shows promise. However, I had some issues with the interface:

Some lag when opening games, I assume this will be fixed with optimization. Very minor.

A game list. Okay. My NES folder is essentially just a 1gb dump of every NES rom ever released, including alternate versions and the like. The listing in the file stopped around the C's for me, and refused to go further despite reloading and restarting.

Gonna stick to my injects for now, but thanks for your effort! I'll check back on every update, hope there's a fix.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Good emulator- runs games well and shows promise. However, I had some issues with the interface:

Some lag when opening games, I assume this will be fixed with optimization. Very minor.

A game list. Okay. My NES folder is essentially just a 1gb dump of every NES rom ever released, including alternate versions and the like. The listing in the file stopped around the C's for me, and refused to go further despite reloading and restarting.

Gonna stick to my injects for now, but thanks for your effort! I'll check back on every update, hope there's a fix.
Well just split your roms into folders. I don't really see that as an issue to not use this emulator.

protoman2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to see a standalone port of picodrive. I've always hated multisystem emulators, mostly for the sloppy menus, mapping the buttons, or it not loading the right core. As the saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none."
I second this idea and make it fullspeed for Old 3DS users.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd MUCH prefer a proper Genesis GX port over Picodrive for its better video, overwhelmingly superior sound and support for Game Gear and SG-1000 libraries (absent on Picodrive), not to mention the fact that Picodrive already runs 100% speed for something like 95% of the Genesis library on O3DS (if you stick with the superior 1.3.2 / 1.3.3 builds over any mess that has been built since) - but I appreciate that Genesis Gx's far better accuracy may render it significantly tougher to better optimise for O3DS..but the results could (possibly, I guess, in theory, in my head) blow even a midly better optimised new Picodrive port out of the water.

With regards to VirtuaNES for O3DS, I've not been able to get a single ROM loaded (standard ones as well as a variety of games with mappers unsupported by QuickNES) but I've only tested version 0.90 cia on an O3DS with Luma, and that unit has its NES ROMs currently all in a single folder, so I wonder whether I should split that folder up into smaller folders which hold something like a maximum of 80 or so ROMs and whether that might help. I'll do more testing in a bit (installing on other units including the 3dsx build on a userland O3DS). Clearly there's an issue at my end and I look forward to being able to test this properly. The mere possibility of not having to use an N3DS for FDS or advanced mapper titles is enough to keep enthusiasm sky high for this project.

Thanks for all that has already been done!

sedusg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Thank you for your great nes emulator.
However,what virtuanes version is it based on?
I tested title "Mother (Japan)" and found the menu ingame is broken but the original virtuanes on windows works.
Hope you can lookinto it.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'd MUCH prefer a proper Genesis GX port over Picodrive for its better video, overwhelmingly superior sound and support for Game Gear and SG-1000 libraries (absent on Picodrive), not to mention the fact that Picodrive already runs 100% speed for something like 95% of the Genesis library on O3DS (if you stick with the superior 1.3.2 / 1.3.3 builds over any mess that has been built since) - but I appreciate that Genesis Gx's far better accuracy may render it significantly tougher to better optimise for O3DS..but the results could (possibly, I guess, in theory, in my head) blow even a midly better optimised new Picodrive port out of the water.

With regards to VirtuaNES for O3DS, I've not been able to get a single ROM loaded (standard ones as well as a variety of games with mappers unsupported by QuickNES) but I've only tested version 0.90 cia on an O3DS with Luma, and that unit has its NES ROMs currently all in a single folder, so I wonder whether I should split that folder up into smaller folders which hold something like a maximum of 80 or so ROMs and whether that might help. I'll do more testing in a bit (installing on other units including the 3dsx build on a userland O3DS). Clearly there's an issue at my end and I look forward to being able to test this properly. The mere possibility of not having to use an N3DS for FDS or advanced mapper titles is enough to keep enthusiasm sky high for this project.

Thanks for all that has already been done!

Strange that you can't load any ROMs. It may be due to something about the slow loading of any ROMs that @ToTheMax5 mentioned. I'll have a look at it.

As for the number of ROMs per folder, the emulator currently supports up to 1000 ROMs per folder. So you can use this as a guide to arrange your ROMs.

Thank you for your great nes emulator.
However,what virtuanes version is it based on?
I tested title "Mother (Japan)" and found the menu ingame is broken but the original virtuanes on windows works.
Hope you can lookinto it.

This was actually based on v0.9.7. But there's a particular rendering mode (Tile) that runs very very slowly on the Old 3DS. If you use the windows version and set the rendering mode to something else other than Tile, it will show the same corrupted graphics.

I could use tile rendering, but it will be too slow on the old 3DS. I haven't thought of how to solve this yet. :)

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Yo! I tried the latest version on github, fds games works smoothly [emoji1] very surprise u done that so quick man
And wanna report one weird issue, if i open a rom that this emu doenent support, when i open next rom it will crash :/
Anyway very well done man! I really thank u for bringing two brilliant emulator [emoji5] hope u can make this one support more mapper in the future
Good luck! Love you<3
PS. I understand its not worth it to port a virtual boy emu...but maybe if u r very free and boring can u look into it? :) Please?[emoji10]

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk Pro 發送

Reactions: elBenyo

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So now I'm properly puzzled about why this doesn't work at all for me. Regardless of the amount of ROMs in a folder, whether it's the CIA or 3dsx version on an O3DS or N3DS..not a single ROM boots up. I even redownloaded the virtuanes_3ds.zip and went through it again but no luck. It just boots into a hard system crash.

Now, as it seems I'm the only one completely unable to boot a game it has to be some kind of error on my part, but I'm all out of possibilities now.

Roll on the next build!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I couldn't help but notice that the source is not on your Github, bubble.

Is it too much to ask as to why is that? If it's not too much to ask of course.
Also, could you please provide a QR code for the CIA for direct installation via FBI?

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@bubble2k16, just a heads up. I'm unable to move "my guy" in Smash T.V. I can shoot but not move via the D-Pad or joystick. Doesn't seem to move in "Mode Select" either.

I can confirm this problem. Will schedule for a fix. Thanks for pointing out... Even the windows version suffers from this problem. That's the time I have to spend fixing these bugs, for selecting a less accurate core. :unsure:

So now I'm properly puzzled about why this doesn't work at all for me. Regardless of the amount of ROMs in a folder, whether it's the CIA or 3dsx version on an O3DS or N3DS..not a single ROM boots up. I even redownloaded the virtuanes_3ds.zip and went through it again but no luck. It just boots into a hard system crash.

Now, as it seems I'm the only one completely unable to boot a game it has to be some kind of error on my part, but I'm all out of possibilities now.

Roll on the next build!

Can you try to see if the current development build works for you?

You can download it from https://github.com/bubble2k16/emus3ds

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@bubble2k16 I'm trying to compile your source code, but I'm getting errors:
error: 'GPU_Init' was not declared in this scope
error: 'GPU_Reset' was not declared in this scope