Retro Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Thought I'd share my little adventure fixing my Wii, I know this isn't a logical method, because it breaks another Wii but worked good for my purposes, plus I wanted to see if I could do it.

Ok so I've been sitting on this bricked Wii since before Bootmii even got released, by installing a stubbed system menu IOS. Since this was my first Wii I wanted to repair it as cheaply as possible. My plan was to purchase a ProgSkeet. But found it would actually be cheaper to just purchase a donor Wii

First thing to understand when using a donor Wii is that the Boot1 needs to match and the boot2 needs to be equal or greater than the Bricked Wii your fixing. Both Wii's Need to be BootMii Boot2 compatible also for this to work.

Now I done some research on the serial of my bricked Wii and determined it was likely a boot1b. So I found a broken donor Wii on Ebay for $15 that was close as possible to my serial. Donor Wii ended up being a boot1b also, So this worked out. Also this broken donor Wii had a stuck sync button, which needed to be fixed before I could continue. After that here is the steps I took to get the keys and fix my bricked Wii.

1. I first Installed bootmii to boot2 on donor Wii and done a nand backup.
2. Removed both Wii's nand chip and installed the donor Wii nand chip to my bricked Wii.
3. Bricked Wii now able to load bootmii, I performed a nand dump and received the keys from the dump.
4. Used ohneschwanzenegger to rebuild nand with the received keys, then flashed back
5. Loaded System Menu and performed a system menu update.
6. Drink a Coke and play some games. and then wonder why I destroyed a Wii to fix another Wii:unsure:

Extra- I do have the donor Wii's Nand Backup in case I ever decide to fix it. but doing so will require a Infectus or Progskeet (may not need a infectus or progskeet if Nand Hot swapping is possible, I read it is but haven't tested. May be a good project for later.

3z3cqg7y359qgw4zg.jpg

84vp0byvojhqx4rzg.jpg

7u8fn7lq7euj5d0zg.jpg

umuhz2iasypuu21zg.jpg

vt04uxoddiw9pg0zg.jpg

tm8kw1kbkxsfs5uzg.jpg

Gaintpune- creator of ohneschwanzenegger
DeadlyFoez- Very helpful info needed to complete the task
and to the creators of Bootmii Thanks for a very handy program!

Last edited by Thomas83Lin,

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Heh interesting.
Never knew this was possible, I though the entire NAND was encrypted with the Wii console specific keys.
Its my understanding bootmii boot2 is encrypted with the common key and signed but not with the console specific key. All the data after is then encrypted with the console specific key. I researched this heavily before starting this project and honestly wasn't 100% sure it would work. Until I actually did it. And it does work.

edit: Further researching its showing boot1 0x3f is what is not encrypted using the Console Specific key, I guess since that is where the vulnerability lives that it allows bootmii to load without being encrypted with the console key, I'm really not sure there isn't much info on the subject. But it does work as seen here.

Last edited by Thomas83Lin,

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
looking back at this, mainly this was a clever way of getting the keys from my fully bricked wii, Now if i wanted to fix the donor wii I could just flash a nand chip using the nand backup I took on step 1. I have many options now to fix the other wii.

stalker4len

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yes many options is good. Now i have a bricked Wii, and still have teensy 2.0 ++ (I use it for ps3) so I think it should work for wii.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Hey man. Great job on this. I had done something rather similar many times when repairing bricked wiis. Congrats on the soldering a tsop48 for your first time, especially it being experimental.

Sorry to necrobump. I just finally saw this now when doing a little searching.

It is possible to do hotswapping, but only with a tsop48 clip. I have one on my tech wii and I used it multiple times to install bootmii to a brick wii's nand. IIRC, I would just start the hackmii installer and then swap the nand chips when it was ready to install bootmii to the boot2. Made repairs simpler.

Reactions: Thomas83Lin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...