Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Yes GBAtemp you are annoying me once again! :angry:

This is a reminder to everyone that GBAtemp is not an imageboard it is a discussion forum. There has been an increasing trend that I have been moderating more and more lately of people only replying to posts with an image or a gif. This is not acceptable posting, especially when most of the instances of this tend to be stupid, off topic or flamey and add nothing of value to the thread they are posted in.

So remember, having the entirety of your post consist of an image or gif will result in your post being deleted and may also result in a warn! :O

Thanks.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't think I've ever reported anything, the only time I would if it was a scam/spam or gore or something really extreme. I don't take internet forums that seriously, if it's stupid shit the best way to contribute is try to get a laugh out of someone. Trying to make someone smile in the face of painful ignorance is never a negative act.

The problem with these meme spammers is is that they clutter up a perfectly good thread very quickly.
It becomes annoying to read and people are baited quickly into responding to them.
Especially when some fool posts a meme saying "you don't say" with some dumb reaction image plastered over it.
This quickly derails the thread and turns it into a flamewar, which is completely the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.
Especially if it's in a thread which discusses the dumping of say Switch keys.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does this count for Blogpost comments? It's not uncommon to see blogpost comments with only reaction gif/youtube videos.
Blogs are different, postcount doesn't raise there. Posting a may-may is fine every now and then, but if you see an user doing it regularly and not adding anything to the discussion at hand, feel free to report him/her.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

ThomasTrig

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I respect the admin's decision but even at work we like reply with images, gif, memes. It's just how the kids do things these days. It's fun. Hopefully you'll reconsider in the future. Thx!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I respect the admin's decision but even at work we like reply with images, gif, memes. It's just how the kids do things these days. It's fun. Hopefully you'll reconsider in the future. Thx!

This is a forum and not an imageboard.
As has been said previously, memes clutter up the thread enormously and contribute nothing to the discussion at hand other then dumb attempts at flaming.

Reactions: VinsCool

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with this, up to a point. i think it is pretty annoying when people spam unrelated images (outside of the eof of course) but related images with no text are just fine in my opinion. i know that it's annoying to the staff to delete unrelated images but essentially banning all images unless you have some relevant text is a little overkill...

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
why spend time to find a picture with the text you want to say, instead of .. just write it yourself ?
it's a forum, where users post and exchange their opinion using words.
posting a picture of the word is just strange.

Fair point. But what are the rules on posting words with a gif?

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why spend time to find a picture with the text you want to say, instead of .. just write it yourself ?
it's a forum, where users post and exchange their opinion using words.
posting a picture of the word is just strange.
that's a good question... because it's more fun i guess?:unsure:

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a question...Does posting one of those "Let me google that for you" links also count as against the rules then (since it could be considered as not really contributing to the thread)?

Edit: Actually never mind...Just did a search and noticed one of the threads where I used lmgtfy was gone...Going to assume that it's not allowed then...Sorry about that.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Disappointed, the new members are not allowed to send pictures.

It's done to prevent spam.
Be glad posts for newbies aren't under mod approval.

Just join in the community and you'll be able to reach the Member rank within hours!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that I'm probably the one of the biggest repeat offenders for stuff like this (that somehow managed to simultaneously evade posts being taken down somehow, to boot), so I probably don't have much room to speak on the matter, but I do have a question;
Whenever I respond with a gif/image, it tends to be reactionary, and probably 85-90% if the time it is a reaction to an unbelievably stupid/troll/attempted flame/very funny post. In that context, is it seen as slightly more acceptable, as long as it's in relative moderation? Or should I try to limit myself a bit more?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended