• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Republican Candidate Welcomes Obama To Tennessee By Showing Picture Of

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brad_Staats-241x300.jpg

On September 27th, Brad Staats, who is running for congress in Tennessee’s 5th district, thought it would be a smart idea to post a picture of his handgun on his facebook page with the message, “Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama.” While he was not saying this in a manner which was a direct threat to the president, when asked about it, Mr. Staats’ given reasons do not bode much better, as this report from News 2 WKRN Nashville shows...

SOURCE: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/10/03/republican-showing-his-gun/

Reactions: 2 people

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A politician being stupid again is not USN worthy. I vote for GOT placement. Anyway, like I said, it's not as if this is surprising. A politician running off at the mouth is pretty common.

Reactions: 1 person

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A politician being stupid again is not USN worthy. I vote for GOT placement. Anyway, like I said, it's not as if this is surprising. A politician running off at the mouth is pretty common.

It's one thing to trash talk but what he did was virtually brandish his gun at the President and a threat to any President of this country is a Federal offense. It's about time the Secret Service started making examples out of some of these right-winged extremeist wackos.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
" Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama, where we appreciate our 2nd Amendment rights and the Constitution that was wisely given to us by our founding fathers."There's the full quote. I probably would have added a Bible and "document of negative liberties" (as stated by Obama, referring to the Constitution) in the pic as well had it been me, but to each his own.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the hell of it, here is the entire facebook post: "Many people in Tennessee keep asking me about my opinion on Second Amendment rights. Apparently Tennesseans are part of that crazy crowd that Obama says "cling to their religion and guns." Well, then I must be part of that crazy crowd. Here is something that I usually have with me. Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama, where we appreciate our 2nd Amendment rights and the Constitution that was wisely given to us by our founding fathers."

Funny how the only thing in the post mentioned is the gun and "Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama". Just a taaaad misleading. So sick of Obama's BS as well as the Media's twisted reporting of things like this, I welcome President Romney next year as my new president.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the hell of it, here is the entire facebook post: "Many people in Tennessee keep asking me about my opinion on Second Amendment rights. Apparently Tennesseans are part of that crazy crowd that Obama says "cling to their religion and guns." Well, then I must be part of that crazy crowd. Here is something that I usually have with me. Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama, where we appreciate our 2nd Amendment rights and the Constitution that was wisely given to us by our founding fathers."

Funny how the only thing in the post mentioned is the gun and "Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama". Just a taaaad misleading. So sick of Obama's BS as well as the Media's twisted reporting of things like this, I welcome President Romney next year as my new president.
I understand that statement towards the Media since it well... the Media, but this isn't Obama fault.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I understand that statement towards the Media since it well... the Media, but this isn't Obama fault.
Well, I find it interesting you somehow read my post and took it as I said it was his fault. But if you need an example of Obama's BS I'm tired of, the "negative liberties" comment will suffice.

And the media better give Romney this treatment. If Romney receives any "alleged threat" it better have it's own article.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
the "negative liberties" comment will suffice.

Wait... What? Do you think that term means that the liberties given in the constitution are 'negative' or 'bad' things? I've heard Conservatives (unsurprisingly) have issues with the other things he said in that little soundbite, but I've not heard this term in isolation thrown around as some kind of proof Obama is the antichrist.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's about time the Secret Service started making examples out of some of these right-winged extremeist wackos.
> calls other people "extremeist wackos"
> suggests they be executed
'MURICA FUCK YEAH
LightyKD certainly did NOT suggest anyone be executed. Where are YOU from so we can overgeneralize and lie about YOUR entire population ?

Typical repub, co-signing on the lie (refering to you "liking" tueidj's lie.) Even within context, this is still wildly inappropriate and a blatant threat. This dumbass fear mongering redneck made this post because he somehow thinks the UN Small Arms Treaty has a DAMN thing to do with the 2nd amendment, or a DAMN thing to do with Obama himself. Doing so, he's stirring up a bunch of paranoid dipshit coward gun nuts. But you don't care, as long as you have your pea shooter handy, the big bad govt could NEVER mess around with YOU, right ? Yeah, I'm sure you could take down the god damn Marines.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I still don't see where anyone has called for anyone to be executed. Seems like it's people with a chip on their shoulder trying to play the victim by putting words in other people's mouths.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And the media better give Romney this treatment. If Romney receives any "alleged threat" it better have it's own article.

You do realize that Obama is the current president and there are certain things that are made to keep the president safe? I don't even live in the US, but regardless of the situation that any country is in (elections at the moment or not), threatening a president isn't really smart in any sense. I'd assume that roughly the same could be applied to candidates running for presidency.

Not saying that it was a direct threat in this situation, but it's plain simple that it wasn't a smart move. Similar situations have happened in many other countries too and the outcomes have varied from doing a so called political suicide to actually getting sued in court (more severe cases where the offense was easy to point out)..

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I still don't see where anyone has called for anyone to be executed. Seems like it's people with a chip on their shoulder trying to play the victim by putting words in other people's mouths.

You do know that the Secret Service are the President's bodyguards right? They can do a lot if it's to protect the president. That includes the possibility of people disappearing without a trace. So encouraging someone or some groups that have such power to make example of people (in his words "right-winged extremeist wackos") in this situation is pretty much calling for someone to be killed.

No it isn't. There's no indication that it doesn't just mean legal proceedings. Look at the people who have actually threatened to kill, or plotted to kill the president, that the secret service have investigated.

http://en.wikipedia....st_Barack_Obama

How many of those people have been summilarly executed or 'disappeared'? And yet suggesting the secret service should 'make an example' of someone who seems to be making a veiled threat is asking for them to be murdered, even when it says 'arrest him' in the subject? Come on.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just going to retract my previous statements. I totally missed the subtext under the title line. My bad LightyKD.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I got you, forget what I said. I messed up.

EDIT: What I said was that they had the power. It's not something they'd publicize if it were done too. So if you can document the undocumented cases, I'd appreciate the number and address of the store where you bought your crystal ball.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Entire comment dumped and new one re-written to reflect edited comment
Yeah I got you, forget what I said. I messed up.

EDIT: What I said was that they had the power. It's not something they'd publicize if it were done too. So if you can document the undocumented cases, I'd appreciate the number and address of the store where you bought your crystal ball.
Of course there are abuses of power, unfortunately, when REPUBS are in charge, they seem to not give a shit. Or have you forgotten the Bush years ? I remember Repubs hooting and hollering about how it's just fine that the President can spy on you, read your mail, etc. Pay no attention to illegal detainees, etc. And when Obama wanted to actually prosecute terror suspects in Gitmo, it was the REPUBLICANS that cried "NOOO they need to continue to be illegally detained." So honestly, Repubs do not have a leg to stand on. I could go on and on and on and on about how Repubs just LOOVE the govt when they have their guy in charge, and how we MUST stand by our president in a time of war (aren't we still in a war ?)

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh for fuck's sake people. I missed the title subtext. Please don't get so uptight. Also, I'd appreciate your editing my removed quotes. Common courtesy and whatnot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.