• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Republican Candidate Welcomes Obama To Tennessee By Showing Picture Of

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
“Many people in Tennessee keep asking me about my opinion on Second Amendment rights,” (...) “Apparently Tennesseans are part of that crazy crowd that Obama says ‘cling to their religion and guns.’ Well, then I must be part of that crazy crowd. Here is something that I usually have with me. Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama, where we appreciate our 2nd Amendment rights and the Constitution that was wisely given to us by our founding fathers.”
That's not threatening. That's not even agressive, if anything, it may be patronizing. Somebody must've put a lot of effort into reading to misinterpret a quote like that. He's writing about the appreciation of the 2nd Amendment and then has to dodge a barrage of accusations because some reporters have reading disabilities and only quote a part of the post that's completely out of context.

Reactions: 4 people

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I got you, forget what I said. I messed up.

EDIT: What I said was that they had the power. It's not something they'd publicize if it were done too. So if you can document the undocumented cases, I'd appreciate the number and address of the store where you bought your crystal ball.

And if Mitt Romey had hired mercinaries who are going around killing people who disgaree with him, they wouldn't publicise that. But if I want to start making claims like that, it's up to me to prove it, not you to disprove it.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sterling retracted his previous statement and there's absolutely no reason why anyone should be on his back right now. The thread officially moved from the subject at hand to "pestering Sterling further", I'm afraid that I had to report it. Sterling's case aside, the thread is based on a bias source which purposely omitted certain vital parts of the original statement, making it sound like a threat for publicity's sake. There's simply no point in dwelling on the subject.

Reactions: 2 people

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Entire comment dumped and new one re-written to reflect edited comment

EDIT: What I said was that they had the power. It's not something they'd publicize if it were done too. So if you can document the undocumented cases, I'd appreciate the number and address of the store where you bought your crystal ball.
Of course there are abuses of power, unfortunately, when REPUBS are in charge, they seem to not give a shit. Or have you forgotten the Bush years ? I remember Repubs hooting and hollering about how it's just fine that the President can spy on you, read your mail, etc. Pay no attention to illegal detainees, etc. And when Obama wanted to actually prosecute terror suspects in Gitmo, it was the REPUBLICANS that cried "NOOO they need to continue to be illegally detained." So honestly, Repubs do not have a leg to stand on. I could go on and on and on and on about how Repubs just LOOVE the govt when they have their guy in charge, and how we MUST stand by our president in a time of war (aren't we still in a war ?)

For the record, I hate both parties. Bush was just as bad as Obama (if not worse) now that I sit back and do a bit of reflection. I wish Clinton had been elected for a second term too.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Entire comment dumped and new one re-written to reflect edited comment

Of course there are abuses of power, unfortunately, when REPUBS are in charge, they seem to not give a shit. Or have you forgotten the Bush years ? I remember Repubs hooting and hollering about how it's just fine that the President can spy on you, read your mail, etc. Pay no attention to illegal detainees, etc. And when Obama wanted to actually prosecute terror suspects in Gitmo, it was the REPUBLICANS that cried "NOOO they need to continue to be illegally detained." So honestly, Repubs do not have a leg to stand on. I could go on and on and on and on about how Repubs just LOOVE the govt when they have their guy in charge, and how we MUST stand by our president in a time of war (aren't we still in a war ?)

For the record, I hate both parties. Bush was just as bad as Obama (if not worse) now that I sit back and do a bit of reflection. I wish Clinton had been elected for a second term too.
He was.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This may not have been made as a threat, but the picture of the gun was a bit much. He could have made the same post without the gun and still gotten the point across without sounding threatening.

Edit: this thread was at one point moved to the EoF, please ignore my earlier post.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The source article clarifies that the statement was not of malicious intent (although with their editing it does seem like it) and carries on spouting baseless accusations making a storm in a glass of water and an issue out of a non-issue. The headline is structured to misguide - they sure know that 99% of people won't bother with the rest of the article and they sure succeeded in misguiding the OP. Arrest him? For what, voicing out his opinion about weapon ownership? The whole piece lacks substance and does not deserve attention.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, let's get something straight! I am NOT calling for mass executions of people. Hell, I'm against the death penalty (unless for an extreme situation or self appointed by the accused criminal who would rather die than face prison). I was and still am against Obama signing the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act), I'm against the Patriot Act and STILL believe in the first Amendment and the fact hat people have the right to talk shit about all of the elected "leaders". The fact is, over the past four years, the constant threats, the increase in hate groups (which were decreasing during Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2 and have skyrocketed under Obama), the shooting of congresswoman Gabby Giffords, the Batman shooting and the shooting at the Sikh temple are prime reasons why the Secret Service and Justice Department needs to start cracking down on these dickwads

I am getting tired of the fucking right wing acting like a bunch of victims while holding the damn country hostage with those Tea Party douche-bags The republican party needs to realize that they are irrelevant and frankly these muthafuckas need to go with the dinosaurs and GTFO! For the first time in a long time, we have a real chance to progress towards the future. Romney (during the debate) bitches about the president giving clean energy 90 years worth of subsidies. DUH muthafucka! Fossil fuels are almost gone! Do you really want a national energy crisis? it's like sucking up the Wii Remote batteries without having a charged pair on standby. Do you really think that people will be happy if they have to spend a few months or years with no energy because we depleted all the god damned oil without a backup plan??? Let's use our brains here. Republicans talk about how the media is liberal and is twisting things, "You cant twist facts muthafucka, facts are facts!" Maybe if you had a platform that actually made sense then people would stop looking at you like you're a bunch of idiots.

Rant over, nuff said... I have a full plate of stuff to do today.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The entire idea of the U.S government is based on binary oposition - you need to have Republicans to have Democrats, you need to have Conservatives to have Liberals. Neither faction represents ideas that are perfect for the entirety of the population, they represent two extreme ends of politics. The fatal flaw of this system is that neither will ever satisfy the needs of all states, and given the general attitude towards the "sweet spot", also known as Independent Candidates, which in the case of America is "Make up your mind, which party are you closer to?", you always end up with a choice between those two extreme ends.

That said, both are necessary, and depending on the times the country finds itself in and its political as well as economical status, either option could be beneficial for a myriad of reasons. Your duty as a citizen is to determine which political party has a better plan for the upcoming years and choose the direction for the country to progress in.

In any case, my point is that in your system, you cannot ask one party to "GTFO", as you put it, because without it, you would not have a reference to the other.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi you are right... logically. The major issue with the Republican party is that their platform comes from the 1950's it's out dated and takes no heed to the needs of the poor, minorities or women. The only people the Republican party likes are rich Caucasian men, fuck everybody else but wait... if there's a fetus involved, they want to protect it but say fuck it when it develops into a human beign. It would be one thing if they were actually the party of fiscal responsibility and defense (like they claim they are) but that is not the case. They just want to take away minority rights, womens rights, voting rights, arrest everyone or turn the damn country into corporate slaves all while cramming Christianity down people throats in a country where we have "religious freedom".

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is incredibly ridiculous if this topic was actually moved to the EoF rather than at least the Blog or Off Topic section where it wouldn't get absolutely buried. I don't care if this is off topic, go ahead and burn my comment/up my warning/etc

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the "negative liberties" comment will suffice.

Wait... What? Do you think that term means that the liberties given in the constitution are 'negative' or 'bad' things?
Well...yeah. If someone says "negative liberties", I mean I guess...they mean 'negative' or 'bad' things....

Again, this entire thread is pretty much a waste. Anyone who feels he was actually threatening the president's life had to completely disregard the rest of his facebook post to do so. But that was the point of this thread, it was to make a threat out of a nonthreat. That's how come only the "Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama" and the gun part made it.

To me, saying the Secret Service should make "examples" out of people like this is by far more threatening.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi you are right... logically. The major issue with the Republican party is that their platform comes from the 1950's it's out dated and takes no heed to the needs of the poor, minorities or women. The only people the Republican party likes are rich Caucasian men, fuck everybody else but wait... if there's a fetus involved, they want to protect it but say fuck it when it develops into a human beign. It would be one thing if they were actually the party of fiscal responsibility and defense (like they claim they are) but that is not the case. They just want to take away minority rights, womens rights, voting rights, arrest everyone or turn the damn country into corporate slaves all while cramming Christianity down people throats in a country where we have "religious freedom".
Which is why you have the counterweight of the opposing party to stabilize that. Besides, you're dramatizing. They're not planning to take away anyone's voting rights or arrest anyone, calm down. They represent the other axis of power in your country which is perhaps less beneficial to you, but do note, yours may be less beneficial to others. In the end, the entire society becomes the equalizer of the situation by means of voting.

Do you think that thrusting your beliefs down someone's gullet is perfectly fine just because you find them more just? If that's the case, what makes you better then them? I'll save you the effort and answer "nothing", because Conservatives as well as Liberals are equally relentless in pushing their policies onto the nation - it's merely a matter of who's in charge at any given time.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
dogwhistle.gif

Reactions: 2 people

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Snip*

They're not planning to take away anyone's voting rights or arrest anyone, calm down.

*Snip*

Bullshit! This whole year, the Republican party has been trying to put new voter laws on the books to disenfranchise Minority and Democratic voters, essentially stealing the damn election. The funny part is that they have been touting these laws under the guise of "trying to stop voter fraud" only to be caught red handed doing exactly what they claim to try to stop. One of their major voter registration partner companies was caught throwing away Democratic voter registration forms in favor of republican ones, which is a federal Offense

Source: http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/09/28/14138942-rnc-caught-up-in-election-fraud-controversy?lite

Source with video: http://www.examiner.com/article/video-republicans-caught-committing-voter-fraud-only-registering-romney-voters

I understand that my country's two party system is supposed to be like yin and yang with both halves serving to help the greater good but when the yang is so damn corrupt, one can't help but to b frustrated.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bullshit! This whole year, the Republican party has been trying to put new voter laws on the books to disenfranchise Minority and Democratic voters, essentially stealing the damn election. The funny part is that they have been touting these laws under the guise of "trying to stop voter fraud" only to be caught red handed doing exactly what they claim to try to stop. One of their major voter registration partner companies was caught throwing away Democratic voter registration forms in favor of republican ones, which is a federal Offense

I understand that my country's two party system is supposed to be like yin and yang with both halves serving to help the greater good but when the yang is so damn corrupt, one can't help but to b frustrated.
The way I see it, both are corrupt to an extent. Show me a source about the laws in question. All you found is a black sheep among the herd and some voter registration fraud, which isn't nation-wide and can be connected to the individual, not the party.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Snip*

They're not planning to take away anyone's voting rights or arrest anyone, calm down.

*Snip*

I'm frustrated as hell with the Yin, my good sir. And if the debates continue to be this much of a bloodbath, the Yin will easily win. It was nice watching Obama get a few lessons on the economy last night. Very refreshing. Hell, pretty much all the media is saying he lost the debate, liberal and conservative alike.

Notice instead of making eye contact with Mitt, he was looking down jotting notes the whole time. If he wins re-election, hopefully he will use the notes he took from Professor Mitt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.