Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Bajdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Quick menu - core options
Quick menu while ingame contains: resume, restart, close content, take screen shot, state slot, save state, load state, undo load state, undo save state, options, controls, cheats, save core overrides, save game overrides. The "option" in that list contains just two items: game options file and video mode (auto/ntsc/pal). no frame skipping.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems the option isn't universal for all cores now that i was able to test on my Vita. It shows for GBA cores but not for SNES cores which is odd because SNES9x supports it so the cores based on it should too. I swear I have seen it for RA SNES on other platforms though. :unsure:

Reactions: Bajdo

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. New to Vita hacking but somewhat familiar with Retroarch. I wanted to install Retroarch onto my PSTV but whenever I try to download the latest retroarch.vpk from the buildbot, it instead downloads it as a .zip file instead. I checked the file extension after it downloaded and it is in fact a .zip. Not a .vpk that my computer is associating that file with my zipping program. I'm wondering if it's ok to just change the file extension from .zip to .vpk and install it that way? Or is there something else going on that I need to fix first? Thank you.

Edit: And just to be clear, I am trying to download the 1.7.0 retroarch vpk from this link here. https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.0/playstation/vita/RetroArch.vpk

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hey guys. New to Vita hacking but somewhat familiar with Retroarch. I wanted to install Retroarch onto my PSTV but whenever I try to download the latest retroarch.vpk from the buildbot, it instead downloads it as a .zip file instead. I checked the file extension after it downloaded and it is in fact a .zip. Not a .vpk that my computer is associating that file with my zipping program. I'm wondering if it's ok to just change the file extension from .zip to .vpk and install it that way? Or is there something else going on that I need to fix first? Thank you.

Edit: And just to be clear, I am trying to download the 1.7.0 retroarch vpk from this link here. https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.0/playstation/vita/RetroArch.vpk
move all the ziped files to a folder on ux0, then press "triangle" on Vitashell and the "Install folder".
A vpk is a fancy zip with certain order of things.

Also, you need to download the .7z file and extract its data on ux0/data/retroarch

Reactions: cvskid and Clutz450

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
move all the ziped files to a folder on ux0, then press "triangle" on Vitashell and the "Install folder".
A vpk is a fancy zip with certain order of things.

Also, you need to download the .7z file and extract its data on ux0/data/retroarch

Thanks for the help. I actually tried downloading the retroarch.vpk on my cell phone and that downloaded properly. So I just FTPed it over from my phone to my Vita and installed it that way. I also extracted and copied over the .7z file as well. Now I have another question I was hoping you could help me out with.

Does netplay work with the Vita version? And if so, how do I use it? I have a PS Vita and a PSTV so I installed retroarch 1.7.0 on both of them. However, when I went to refresh the netplay rooms, nothing showed up. So I was rereading the first post and there it says that 1.6.9 is the latest stable release. Not sure how accurate that is but I figured I would try it. So I deleted 1.7.0 on both devices and installed 1.6.9 on both. Now when I go to refresh the netplay rooms I can see a list of rooms. So now on my PSTV I try starting up Super Mario World on Super Nintendo using the Snes9x 2005 Plus core and choose Start netplay host. I then refresh the rooms on my Vita and I can see the room with Super Mario World in it. I select that room and it starts up the game but then says that netplay failed. I'm not familiar with netplay at all so if I'm doing it the wrong way, please let me know and how I can correct it. Thank you.

Last edited by Clutz450,

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody have tried to download cheats with latest version? Don't work for me! :-(
They do. They just take a ridiculously long time to download and extract. Ive download thrm on both my Vita and PSTV with the same results. Just start the download and walk away. Just keep walking back every now and again and touch the screen so that it doesn't go into sleep mode. The alternative would be to download the cheats on your computer and then transfer them to your Vita which would probably be a lot faster.

nicojarre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How would this impact RetroArch?

I tried to understand the consequences of Rinnegatamante exciting work, and it seems to me that his VitaGL wrapper for OpenGL would make OpenGL games ports easier rather than give performance boost in emulators.
I guess retroarch cores would better have to assess directly the Vita GPU rather than go through an OpenGL wrapper!

However, I'm not a pro of these questions, and would be happy to get some advised insight!

rez78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They do. They just take a ridiculously long time to download and extract. Ive download thrm on both my Vita and PSTV with the same results. Just start the download and walk away. Just keep walking back every now and again and touch the screen so that it doesn't go into sleep mode. The alternative would be to download the cheats on your computer and then transfer them to your Vita which would probably be a lot faster.
Don't download for me,download failed.
Can you post,for me,link for download cheats with pc? Thanks

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't download for me,download failed.
Can you post,for me,link for download cheats with pc? Thanks
I believe this is where they store the cheats on their guthub page (https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database/tree/master/cht). However I'm not 100% sure on that nor do I know how to even go about downloading them from there. My best suggesting would be to install retroarch on your computer and use the online updater to download the cheats. Then when done, just move the cheat folder from your computer on to your Vita.

Reactions: rez78

Carlanga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
had to use "root" as the password for the data zip file on the latest retroarch 1/20/2018 IDK why it had a password though.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one ever answered my question from a few days ago about if netplay works on retroarch on the Vita. Anyone have any experience and can help me? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple