• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Romney vs. Obama

who will/would you vote for?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 158 76.0%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 50 24.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You still seem to be of the opinion that the majority of issues are black and white, when they really aren't. Check the video out below. Stumbled across it this morning, and it basically explains how the Republican's feel about states and their rights. If a state does something which aligns to their moral positions, then states are in the right. Yet, if a state does something the Republican's are morally against, then states are in the wrong. Sounds pretty familiar doesn't it?

You need to have consistency and logic in your policy. You might think that determining laws via right/wrong might be a good idea, but it's a very simplistic and naive view of the world. At the moment, your policy seems to be "well it doesn't matter who controls what, and it doesn't matter if their's a chaotic and confusing politic system with no real boundaries defined, as long as people follow what I believe is right/wrong". Here's some food for thought: Would you be happy if America was a dictatorship who had the exact same opinions as you had about everything? After all, he'd be implementing everything you feel is right/wrong (except removing everyone's right to vote), sounds like utopia right?

I'm not getting into the abortion debate, as we could argue forever about scope. But the fact of the matter is, an abortion in America does not affect Ireland in the least. Gun laws in America don't affect Germany in the least. Mandatory healthcare in America doesn't affect Italy in the least. A state introducing a law that gives its citizens the right to use drugs for recreational purposes, does not affect any other state. I'm sure even you can admit that all of that is true. And if you do agree, then that's how scope works. Why does it matter if one country is doing the wrong thing when it doesn't affect you in the least? Why do you feel obliged to butt in and force those people to follow your way? While it is possible in theory for an abortion in America to partially affect Ireland, the amount is negligible and can be regarded as 0.

The fact that the US has tried to force its morals onto other countries, and to force countries to obey its rules, has lead the US to getting attacked and hated by those countries. People are entitled to their beliefs, and are entitled to live the way they want to live. I personally don't concern myself with other people's business, unless it personally affects me. I'll never force anyone to change their ways if they are perfectly happy with their lives. It's a good moral to live by, and it's a moral that politics should be governed by.

I'm just of the opinion that policies should be based on reality, on what actually works in reality, and not on what someone imagines in their head might work. That "someone" includes myself. If my beliefs or opinions of what's good are shown to be false, then I am wrong. I don't know about you, but it just doesn't make sense to me that we should promote a policy that not only does not work in reality, but actually harms our society. That we should not allow such a policy, regardless of who promotes it, is a principle. That our decision making should be guided by science and research and reality, regardless of how (un)popular it might be, is a principle.

If the outcome of a "dictatorship" in America was an actually, observably better America, compared to what a "democratic" America can produce, then yes, I would support such "dictatorship". There are a lot of objective measures of what's good or what's better for a society, e.g. the physical, the emotional, the social well-being of its citizens.

An abortion in Ireland would affect a random Irish local flowershop owner just as much as it would affect a random British flowershop owner -- that is to say, not very much. You can't use your "scope" argument to fix the issue of abortion to precisely the Irish national borders, I'm sorry. I'm not arguing for Britain's involvement in the abortion issue, I'm just arguing against the Irish government's involvement. I argue against the random Irish flowershop owner's right to have a say in this issue, just as much as I argue against the random British flowershop owner's right to have a say in the issue. However, your position seems to be that an abortion doesn't concern the British shop owner, but it concerns the Irish shop owner just as much as it would the pregnant woman herself, and therefore any random Irish shop owner deserves an equal say in the woman's pregnancy.

I wouldn't feel obliged to "butt in" if all Irish individuals were indeed happy about their abortion ban, and believed that's the right thing to do. The reality is, Ireland doesn't just have one single opinion on abortion, some Irish are against it, other Irish are not. A lot of Irish individuals actually want that option, and are forced to go underground because of the ruling of the majority. You think it's bad to be forced to follow a certain way that you don't personally believe in? You think people should be entitled to their own beliefs, and to live the way they want to live? Well, then you can empathize with these people who live in the same country as you: they are being forced to follow a certain way that they don't believe in. I hope you're at least against the Irish anti-abortion laws.

And why would I bother if it doesn't affect me? It's basic human compassion. I'm not sure what kind of person you are, but if I hear someone cry for "help", I would feel compelled to help (or to investigate at least). Right this very moment, there are women in Ireland who feel they have no other options, desperate, and will risk their own lives to get an abortion illegally, because some other Irish individuals felt *they* had the right to make the decision to not have an abortion for, no, to FORCE the decision to not have an abortion on these women. Can you hear these women's cries for help? Are you aware that these women exist in Ireland?

D

Deleted-185407

I'm just of the opinion that policies should be based on reality, on what actually works in reality, and not on what someone imagines in their head might work. That "someone" includes myself. If my beliefs or opinions of what's good are shown to be false, then I am wrong. I don't know about you, but it just doesn't make sense to me that we should promote a policy that not only does not work in reality, but actually harms our society. That we should not allow such a policy, regardless of who promotes it, is a principle. That our decision making should be guided by science and research and reality, regardless of how (un)popular it might be, is a principle.

If the outcome of a "dictatorship" in America was an actually, observably better America, compared to what a "democratic" America can produce, then yes, I would support such "dictatorship". There are a lot of objective measures of what's good or what's better for a society, e.g. the physical, the emotional, the social well-being of its citizens.

An abortion in Ireland would affect a random Irish local flowershop owner just as much as it would affect a random British flowershop owner -- that is to say, not very much. You can't use your "scope" argument to fix the issue of abortion to precisely the Irish national borders, I'm sorry. I'm not arguing for Britain's involvement in the abortion issue, I'm just arguing against the Irish government's involvement. I argue against the random Irish flowershop owner's right to have a say in this issue, just as much as I argue against the random British flowershop owner's right to have a say in the issue. However, your position seems to be that an abortion doesn't concern the British shop owner, but it concerns the Irish shop owner just as much as it would the pregnant woman herself, and therefore any random Irish shop owner deserves an equal say in the woman's pregnancy.

I wouldn't feel obliged to "butt in" if all Irish individuals were indeed happy about their abortion ban, and believed that's the right thing to do. The reality is, Ireland doesn't just have one single opinion on abortion, some Irish are against it, other Irish are not. A lot of Irish individuals actually want that option, and are forced to go underground because of the ruling of the majority. You think it's bad to be forced to follow a certain way that you don't personally believe in? You think people should be entitled to their own beliefs, and to live the way they want to live? Well, then you can empathize with these people who live in the same country as you: they are being forced to follow a certain way that they don't believe in. I hope you're at least against the Irish anti-abortion laws.

And why would I bother if it doesn't affect me? It's basic human compassion. I'm not sure what kind of person you are, but if I hear someone cry for "help", I would feel compelled to help (or to investigate at least). Right this very moment, there are women in Ireland who feel they have no other options, desperate, and will risk their own lives to get an abortion illegally, because some other Irish individuals felt *they* had the right to make the decision to not have an abortion for, no, to FORCE the decision to not have an abortion on these women. Can you hear these women's cries for help? Are you aware that these women exist in Ireland?

Finally understanding your point of view now. But just to note, the fact we both have logical arguments and unique beliefs prove that right/wrong isn't as black and white as some people are making it out to be. Just getting that out there. We have a very different set of morals with their own logic, and neither can be scientifically tested. Just getting that out there.

You say that we should introduce rulings that benefit society. I agree with that completely. However, I believe people are always going to vote for what they believe is best. I can't imagine the majority of voters voting for something they don't approve of. Why would they? Do you believe that people should be free to choose what they feel is the correct approach? There are people out there who probably have the exact same policy of "if it's beneficial for citizens, it doesn't matter who enforces it", yet probably have a different set of policies from you and other people who have the same approach. What if all of the opinions are logically sound? How do you then decide what path to take? Do you let the concerned citizens vote? Do you let the whole world vote?

For the abortion issue, Irish doctors are concerned, and other citizens who might want an abortion will be consulting those Irish doctors. An Irish local flowershop owner may be one of those patients who need an abortion, and since they would most likely use an Irish doctor for the operation, they're concerned. A British flowershop owner on the other hand, would most likely use British doctors for an abortion. The scope is different, and they're completely isolated from each other. So you're correct, the random Irish shop owner does have a say, because they'll also probably use an Irish doctor for the service. Therefore, we can consider it as a state/country issue, but definitely not an EU issue, nor an issue that the American people should intervene on. Like I said, we could argue for ages on the topic.

You state that you wouldn't feel obliged to "butt in" if the citizens were happy with their decision, yet you just earlier stated you didn't disapprove of the federal government imposing its laws and forcing states to change laws that those states were happy with. You also didn't disapprove of other countries forcing the US to change its laws and morals to match the rest of the world. You also in the very same post approved of the idea of a dictator with good policies. I agree there isn't just a single opinion on how to go about certain issues, that's my entire point. It's how we decide which path to take that's the issue. By localising issues as much as possible, we're not stating that any opinion is the right opinion, and we're providing freedom to other people so that they can take their own path. It's nowhere near perfect, but it's much better than having unconcerned people deciding. Do you not agree that we should be providing more options and more freedom for people?

I listen to cries for help, but I take other factors into consideration as well. Are we bankrupt and do we have the funds to actually provide the help? How are our own citizens firstly? Is it a minority that's crying for help? Are the majority happy? If the majority are happy with their decision, why should we disrespect them and force them to change their ways? What if we did overturn the decision so that the minority are happy, wouldn't that in turn make the majority cry out for help? Would that not then cause an endless cycle?

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By localising issues as much as possible, we're not stating that any opinion is the right opinion, and we're providing freedom to other people so that they can take their own path. It's nowhere near perfect, but it's much better than having unconcerned people deciding. Do you not agree that we should be providing more options and more freedom for people?
I do agree, that's why I am pro-choice. So, you're also pro-choice on abortion?

Just in case that question somehow isn't clear enough, I'll try again, imagine this: I am an Irish woman and I am pregnant. I want an abortion. My doctor is willing to do the termination that I've requested. You don't think, that a random flowershop owner whom I've never known or met, should have a say in whether or not *I* should have *my* abortion, right?

You don't actually have a "logical argument" in your post, what you have are logical fallacies, but you don't seem to be aware of them. The benefits of a policy to society, and its harms to society, don't just exist inside our imagination, people have been doing tests on these benefits and harms in social science and medical science for ages. Surely we can "scientifically" test whether a policy actually does more harm than good to our wellbeing.

Sometimes the results may be inconclusive, but other times it's fairly "black and white". For example, slavery, rape, a ban on abortion, a ban on same-sex marriage, those policies we can objectively test whether they benefit society more, or whether they actually harm society more. The existence of different personal views on a specific topic does not "prove" the facts aren't clear, it only "proves" that small pockets of populations can remain selectively ignorant for a very long time.

But that's okay, as long as these ignorant views aren't enshrined in policy. NASA wouldn't ask the general public to vote on what type of fuel their next spacecraft should have, despite the passionate view a Joe Public might have on the issue and how happy it would've made him if they would use the ineffective fuel that he'd proposed. NASA as an organisation have the responsibility to make policies grounded in the objective reality, the same applies to governments, they too have a responsibility to make policies that actually work in reality. What this means in practical terms is that not every issue would be suitable material for voting on by everyone, that certain views would not be counted, that the government has a "leadership" role and not just a "representation" role, that those of us who aren't ignorant of the facts should employ any and all political apparatus to press for the correct things for society, and be part of the forces of history that will erode the strangleholds failed "beliefs" have on small populations.

A state is a group consisting of many individuals. When you say states are "happy" with certain laws, you really mean many individuals in those states are happy with those laws, right? You don't actually think every individual in those states is happy with those laws? If the majority of individuals in a group are the oppressors who deny the minority their basic rights, whether or not these oppressors are "happy" is irrelevant, it's whether or not their victims want change that matters. It wouldn't be right to stop a group's BDSM session if the sex is consensual, but it would be wrong not to stop a group rape, whether or not the majority of the rapists feel "happy" means absolutely nothing, because overall, rape does more tangible harm than good to the group. On abortion, overall, the Irish ban does more tangible harm than good to the Irish people. Or do you "believe" that to be untrue?

D

Deleted-185407

I do agree, that's why I am pro-choice. So, you're also pro-choice on abortion?

Just in case that question somehow isn't clear enough, I'll try again, imagine this: I am an Irish woman and I am pregnant. I want an abortion. My doctor is willing to do the termination that I've requested. You don't think, that a random flowershop owner whom I've never known or met, should have a say in whether or not *I* should have *my* abortion, right?

You don't actually have a "logical argument" in your post, what you have are logical fallacies, but you don't seem to be aware of them. The benefits of a policy to society, and its harms to society, don't just exist inside our imagination, people have been doing tests on these benefits and harms in social science and medical science for ages. Surely we can "scientifically" test whether a policy actually does more harm than good to our wellbeing.

Sometimes the results may be inconclusive, but other times it's fairly "black and white". For example, slavery, rape, a ban on abortion, a ban on same-sex marriage, those policies we can objectively test whether they benefit society more, or whether they actually harm society more. The existence of different personal views on a specific topic does not "prove" the facts aren't clear, it only "proves" that small pockets of populations can remain selectively ignorant for a very long time.

But that's okay, as long as these ignorant views aren't enshrined in policy. NASA wouldn't ask the general public to vote on what type of fuel their next spacecraft should have, despite the passionate view a Joe Public might have on the issue and how happy it would've made him if they would use the ineffective fuel that he'd proposed. NASA as an organisation have the responsibility to make policies grounded in the objective reality, the same applies to governments, they too have a responsibility to make policies that actually work in reality. What this means in practical terms is that not every issue would be suitable material for voting on by everyone, that certain views would not be counted, that the government has a "leadership" role and not just a "representation" role, that those of us who aren't ignorant of the facts should employ any and all political apparatus to press for the correct things for society, and be part of the forces of history that will erode the strangleholds failed "beliefs" have on small populations.

A state is a group consisting of many individuals. When you say states are "happy" with certain laws, you really mean many individuals in those states are happy with those laws, right? You don't actually think every individual in those states is happy with those laws? If the majority of individuals in a group are the oppressors who deny the minority their basic rights, whether or not these oppressors are "happy" is irrelevant, it's whether or not their victims want change that matters. It wouldn't be right to stop a group's BDSM session if the sex is consensual, but it would be wrong not to stop a group rape, whether or not the majority of the rapists feel "happy" means absolutely nothing, because overall, rape does more tangible harm than good to the group. On abortion, overall, the Irish ban does more tangible harm than good to the Irish people. Or do you "believe" that to be untrue?

My personal view is abortion should be legal when the fetus isn't viable or during the first few weeks of conception (I forget the exact time interval). If the mother's life is in danger, and the child won't survive, then the mother should be allowed an abortion. If the child would survive, well, haven't made a decision on that one yet. That's my personal view of the topic if you were curious. Am I stating my view is the correct view? Nope. It just seems the most logical to me, yet to other people, other views may feel far more logical to them. Some people might say that you should never get rid of the fetus because it has its rights upon conception. Are they wrong? Well personally I don't feel sick at the idea of removing a clump of cells with no consciousness, yet another group might feel sick by it.

Other people may be using that doctor's services still, and then there's the unborn child's opinion we have to take into account as well. It's highly debatable, and you're ignoring the points I'm trying to make to you. An abortion in one state in the US does not affect any citizen in another state. You argue that state's are a "group" of individuals, and if that was the case, it's a pretty large group. Ireland in that case is just a tiny "group" of people who should be subject to everything that the rest of the world says we should do. The better equivalent of a state is an EU country, since physical size and population are very similar, if not identical. Similarly the US is comparable to the EU. California apparently has a population of around 37.5 million people. Ireland only has a population of 4.5 million. Are you seriously suggesting that the states are insignificant and don't have enough people to consider themselves as countries?

There's logic to my posts, you're just not understanding the logic. Your logic barely makes any sense to me because there's you're arguing that there should be no structure to law, and that there's only one correct way of doing things. You can try do scientific testing on social issues, but the results will always vary on the pool of people you've selected. Look at how elections work. Note how one state might vote very differently to another state. People living in different areas always grow up with different opinions. It's not like the whole world speaks English, nor does the whole world have the same taste in food or music. You can try scientifically test what music people like the most, and if you selected a pool of people from Japan, and another pool from Ireland, the results are going to drastically differ.

The majority of social issues these days are not black or white, just like music taste isn't black or white. Something that might not harm one society might harm another society. People are not the same. You grew up with one way of thinking, and I grew up with another way of thinking.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My personal view is abortion should be legal when the fetus isn't viable or during the first few weeks of conception (I forget the exact time interval). If the mother's life is in danger, and the child won't survive, then the mother should be allowed an abortion. If the child would survive, well, haven't made a decision on that one yet. That's my personal view of the topic if you were curious. Am I stating my view is the correct view? Nope. It just seems the most logical to me, yet to other people, other views may feel far more logical to them. Some people might say that you should never get rid of the fetus because it has its rights upon conception. Are they wrong? Well personally I don't feel sick at the idea of removing a clump of cells with no consciousness, yet another group might feel sick by it.

Other people may be using that doctor's services still, and then there's the unborn child's opinion we have to take into account as well. It's highly debatable, and you're ignoring the points I'm trying to make to you. An abortion in one state in the US does not affect any citizen in another state. You argue that state's are a "group" of individuals, and if that was the case, it's a pretty large group. Ireland in that case is just a tiny "group" of people who should be subject to everything that the rest of the world says we should do. The better equivalent of a state is an EU country, since physical size and population are very similar, if not identical. Similarly the US is comparable to the EU. California apparently has a population of around 37.5 million people. Ireland only has a population of 4.5 million. Are you seriously suggesting that the states are insignificant and don't have enough people to consider themselves as countries?

There's logic to my posts, you're just not understanding the logic. Your logic barely makes any sense to me because there's you're arguing that there should be no structure to law, and that there's only one correct way of doing things. You can try do scientific testing on social issues, but the results will always vary on the pool of people you've selected. Look at how elections work. Note how one state might vote very differently to another state. People living in different areas always grow up with different opinions. It's not like the whole world speaks English, nor does the whole world have the same taste in food or music. You can try scientifically test what music people like the most, and if you selected a pool of people from Japan, and another pool from Ireland, the results are going to drastically differ.

The majority of social issues these days are not black or white, just like music taste isn't black or white. Something that might not harm one society might harm another society. People are not the same. You grew up with one way of thinking, and I grew up with another way of thinking.
What does "other people may be using that doctor's services still", have to do with whether or not I should be able to choose abortion for myself?

Should you have a say in whether I can or cannot have my abortion? Should I have a say in whether you can or cannot have your abortion?

An abortion, let's say *my* abortion, in one state, doesn't affect most citizens in another state, you say? And you use that to deny most citizens in the other state the ability to have a say in *my* abortion? Well, *my* abortion doesn't affect most citizens in my state, either. So you should use that to also deny most citizens in my state the ability to have a say in *my* abortion. Do you deny the strangers in my state the right to vote on *my* abortion decision?

There's only one Irish reality, I didn't ask a general question about "something" that might not harm one society but might harm another society, I asked a very specific question about the Irish reality: Do you believe the Irish ban on abortion does more practical good than harm to the Irish society?

Btw, your personal view on abortion is even more stringent than the currect Irish ban on abortion, lol, it would be funny if it weren't so darn tragic that views like that can cause women to die needlessly, e.g. Savita Halappanavar.

Dunno why you got the "insignificant" connotation from the word "group"; the entire world's human population is a group consisting of many individuals, a country is a group of many individuals, a state is a group of many individuals, etc. Another thing I've noticed is words such as "country" and "state" seem to have some sort of magical effects on you... forgive me I must've missed the lesson on "Tribal Mentality" in kindergarten.

D

Deleted-185407

What does "other people may be using that doctor's services still", have to do with whether or not I should be able to choose abortion for myself?

Should you have a say in whether I can or cannot have my abortion? Should I have a say in whether you can or cannot have your abortion?

An abortion, let's say *my* abortion, in one state, doesn't affect most citizens in another state, you say? And you use that to deny most citizens in the other state the ability to have a say in *my* abortion? Well, *my* abortion doesn't affect most citizens in my state, either. So you should use that to also deny most citizens in my state the ability to have a say in *my* abortion. Do you deny the strangers in my state the right to vote on *my* abortion decision?

There's only one Irish reality, I didn't ask a general question about "something" that might not harm one society but might harm another society, I asked a very specific question about the Irish reality: Do you believe the Irish ban on abortion does more practical good than harm to the Irish society?

Btw, your personal view on abortion is even more stringent than the currect Irish ban on abortion, lol, it would be funny if it weren't so darn tragic that views like that can cause women to die needlessly, e.g. Savita Halappanavar.

Dunno why you got the "insignificant" connotation from the word "group"; the entire world's human population is a group consisting of many individuals, a country is a group of many individuals, a state is a group of many individuals, etc. Another thing I've noticed is words such as "country" and "state" seem to have some sort of magical effects on you... forgive me I must've missed the lesson on "Tribal Mentality" in kindergarten.

Your abortion affects a local third party, namely the child. Therefore, you have to go a step higher in terms of scope. Your argument isn't as simple as "it's my abortion". Now it's up to the citizens to vote on whether or not the state should have the right to legalise abortion, or the US federal government, or the rest of the world to decide for the US.

I told you my position on abortion. I have no evidence to suggest that an abortion ban significantly saves more lives, nor do I have evidence to suggest that a lack of abortion law significantly saves more lives. There are situations where an abortion ban prevents some stupid idiot from killing a perfectly self-aware child, and there are situations where an abortion ban unnecessarily kills the life of the mother and the child. There's pros and cons to both sides of the argument.

Although please explain to me how my view on abortion would have caused the Savita incident to happen? I clearly told you that "If the mother's life is in danger, and the child won't survive, then the mother should be allowed an abortion". The issue with Savita wasn't that she died as a result of not getting an abortion. The issue was that everyone knew that the child wouldn't survive, so the mother had to die unnecessarily. The current Irish abortion laws don't allow any abortion, period. My views allows a woman to remove a clump of cells from their body in the first period of pregnancy (again, I forget the exact conditions), and tries to ensure we save as many lives as possible, prioritising the life of the newborn. I fail to see how that's more strict.

Besides, this whole debate on abortion has nothing to do with whether or not Ireland should get to decide its abortion laws, or if America should decide what Ireland's abortion laws are. Your arguments are still suggesting that Ireland should have the right to force America to change its abortion laws. Your arguments are suggesting that America should force the EU to change its abortion laws. Your arguments are suggesting that Japan should be able to force your state to change its abortion laws. After all, the world is just a "group" of individuals. Therefore it shouldn't matter if the rest of the world is allowed to decide what laws to impose on you. What you're suggesting is chaos. You seem to think the world is a simple matter of black and white and that "justice" has a clear definition. Forgive me I must have missed the lesson on "reality" in kindergarten.

lovewiibrew

Sifjar is a pirate
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm not gonna read 45 pages of posts, but all I have to say is Ron Paul was the only hope this country had to really change things for the better, and instead, the American people chose increased government control and the continuation of the welfare state. When things finally come tumbling down, I can at least say I saw it coming.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your abortion affects a local third party, namely the child. Therefore, you have to go a step higher in terms of scope. Your argument isn't as simple as "it's my abortion". Now it's up to the citizens to vote on whether or not the state should have the right to legalise abortion, or the US federal government, or the rest of the world to decide for the US.

I told you my position on abortion. I have no evidence to suggest that an abortion ban significantly saves more lives, nor do I have evidence to suggest that a lack of abortion law significantly saves more lives. There are situations where an abortion ban prevents some stupid idiot from killing a perfectly self-aware child, and there are situations where an abortion ban unnecessarily kills the life of the mother and the child. There's pros and cons to both sides of the argument.

Although please explain to me how my view on abortion would have caused the Savita incident to happen? I clearly told you that "If the mother's life is in danger, and the child won't survive, then the mother should be allowed an abortion". The issue with Savita wasn't that she died as a result of not getting an abortion. The issue was that everyone knew that the child wouldn't survive, so the mother had to die unnecessarily. The current Irish abortion laws don't allow any abortion, period. My views allows a woman to remove a clump of cells from their body in the first period of pregnancy (again, I forget the exact conditions), and tries to ensure we save as many lives as possible, prioritising the life of the newborn. I fail to see how that's more strict.

Besides, this whole debate on abortion has nothing to do with whether or not Ireland should get to decide its abortion laws, or if America should decide what Ireland's abortion laws are. Your arguments are still suggesting that Ireland should have the right to force America to change its abortion laws. Your arguments are suggesting that America should force the EU to change its abortion laws. Your arguments are suggesting that Japan should be able to force your state to change its abortion laws. After all, the world is just a "group" of individuals. Therefore it shouldn't matter if the rest of the world is allowed to decide what laws to impose on you. What you're suggesting is chaos. You seem to think the world is a simple matter of black and white and that "justice" has a clear definition. Forgive me I must have missed the lesson on "reality" in kindergarten.
Wait, so now you've dropped the "random flowershop owner could be affected therefore random flowershop owner should have a say in Sarah's abortion" line of reasoning, and are opting instead for, "every citizen in the state should have a say in Sarah's abortion because there are 2 or 3 parties involved in Sarah's abortion"?

Current Irish laws do allow abortion, if the mother's life is threatened, including by suicide. That limited right to abortion was established in 1992 by the Irish Supreme Court case "the X Case", your parliament just never made new legislation to reflect (or override) that Supreme Court decision, resulting in the lack of legal clarity as to when and how a woman can obtain an abortion if her life is at risk. Your view is more strict than what the current law would allow, because you include more prerequisites for when a woman can be "allowed" an abortion: "the child won't survive" isn't a condition in the law, but it is in yours.

Views like that could cause women to die needlessly, because no clear distinction between when a mother's "life" is at risk, and when her "health" is at risk, can be drawn. To artificially impose an imaginary distinction that makes no medical sense whatsoever, will make doctors wait until the very last minute to perform a termination that should've happened a long time ago but didn't, because of fears of potential prosecution for a termination when the risk wasn't deemed great "enough". When the risk is deemed great "enough", it could very well be already too late.

Actually, the debate on abortion has much to do with whether or not other people should get involved in helping organisations such as Choice Ireland to achieve policy changes in Ireland. This is a matter about right and wrong. The Irish ban on abortion overall has harmed the Irish society more than it has benefited it. You see "no evidence" of it? You believe the Irish ban could do both harm and good equally in some imaginary society? Well, that's not reality. Talk with some real people who have experienced and been affected by the ban, learn from people who know more about this topic than you, google it, then maybe you'll see plenty evidence of actual human suffering, with none of the imaginary "benefits". The reality of the abortion issue is actually "a simple matter of black and white" in this regard. What I'm suggesting is the wrong policy should be corrected, by members of the in-group or members of an out-group, or both. There being a wrong policy is my premise, don't forget that; with that premise, "it shouldn't matter if the rest of the world is allowed to decide what laws to impose on us" as long as those laws actually benefit our society. As I've said, right and wrong have no in-group loyalty. There's only the reality of whether a society is actually harmed by something.

D

Deleted-185407

Wait, so now you've dropped the "random flowershop owner could be affected therefore random flowershop owner should have a say in Sarah's abortion" line of reasoning, and are opting instead for, "every citizen in the state should have a say in Sarah's abortion because there are 2 or 3 parties involved in Sarah's abortion"?

Current Irish laws do allow abortion, if the mother's life is threatened, including by suicide. That limited right to abortion was established in 1992 by the Irish Supreme Court case "the X Case", your parliament just never made new legislation to reflect (or override) that Supreme Court decision, resulting in the lack of legal clarity as to when and how a woman can obtain an abortion if her life is at risk. Your view is more strict than what the current law would allow, because you include more prerequisites for when a woman can be "allowed" an abortion: "the child won't survive" isn't a condition in the law, but it is in yours.

Views like that could cause women to die needlessly, because no clear distinction between when a mother's "life" is at risk, and when her "health" is at risk, can be drawn. To artificially impose an imaginary distinction that makes no medical sense whatsoever, will make doctors wait until the very last minute to perform a termination that should've happened a long time ago but didn't, because of fears of potential prosecution for a termination when the risk wasn't deemed great "enough". When the risk is deemed great "enough", it could very well be already too late.

Actually, the debate on abortion has much to do with whether or not other people should get involved in helping organisations such as Choice Ireland to achieve policy changes in Ireland. This is a matter about right and wrong. The Irish ban on abortion overall has harmed the Irish society more than it has benefited it. You see "no evidence" of it? You believe the Irish ban could do both harm and good equally in some imaginary society? Well, that's not reality. Talk with some real people who have experienced and been affected by the ban, learn from people who know more about this topic than you, google it, then maybe you'll see plenty evidence of actual human suffering, with none of the imaginary "benefits". The reality of the abortion issue is actually "a simple matter of black and white" in this regard. What I'm suggesting is the wrong policy should be corrected, by members of the in-group or members of an out-group, or both. There being a wrong policy is my premise, don't forget that; with that premise, "it shouldn't matter if the rest of the world is allowed to decide what laws to impose on us" as long as those laws actually benefit our society. As I've said, right and wrong have no in-group loyalty. There's only the reality of whether a society is actually harmed by something.

You're missing the point of what I'm trying to tell you. It's highly debatable as to what scope an abortion law should affect. We could argue for ages on it, but I'm pretty sure we both agree that the EU should have no say in it because it doesn't affect other EU members in the least. Why should it? The more remote you get, the less the impact. Hence, if we were to compare the EU to the US which in terms of population and landscape and control are very similar, it makes no sense why other "foreign" states should have a say on a ruling in another state, especially for issues where there is no clear right or wrong. I'm not making any final say on what I think the scope should be. I'm just trying to make you recognise that there's simply no reason for the federal government to impose a ruling. If the federal government is allowed to impose a ruling, then the rest of the world should be allowed to force you to stop your silly laws, without any refusal of course.

In regards to Irish abortion, again, you're missing the point entirely. Everyone knew the child wouldn't survive, so rather than try to save the mother's life, the doctors involved decided that "we're a catholic country", and decided to let the mother die unnecessarily along with the child. In my views, the mother would still be allowed to live. I fail to see how that's more strict. If only one individual would survive, it makes more logical sense to allow the child to live over the mother, as the child never had a chance to live. Children are always the priority when it comes to saving lives. And of course, if there is no child to save or the child has a huge risk of dying, you might as save as many lives as possible. Again, explain properly how is that more strict? The Irish law as written, doesn't allow for any abortion, period. There has been exception cases before as you've noted, but that hasn't affected anything. Also I'm pretty sure doctors are capable enough to determine whether or not the mother's life is at risk well before the child is due.

I'm only playing devil's advocate in this next part. You're only looking at one side of the coin. You could alternatively look at the flip side, and look at the number children that have been saved that could have unnecessarily been killed. Is it right to unnecessarily kill innocent children that never had the opportunity to live? Have you ever looked at the sickening images that the "pro-life" people have presented of the reality of abortions? Children with clearly human features have been killed. That's why these topics are not black and white. Why should someone who had a whole life, be prioritised over someone who was killed before they had a chance to even live a single day? That's why my stance is that abortions should only be restricted to the first few weeks of a pregnancy (again, I forget the exact time period, but regardless current Irish law does not allow it), and if it's discovered at any point that lives are at risk (which again, current Irish law does not allow).

To summarise our view points: I believe that laws should be localised as much as possible. If it's something like social issues, social issues are inherently local in nature, thus there's simply no reason for the US federal government or the European Union to get involved. The only things they should be getting involved in are laws to do with the single currency and trade, and foreign affairs. I believe in a logical structure to law, and with current modern issues, I don't believe there is a such thing as right/wrong when it comes to them. All sides are logical, and to maximise the citizens options, it makes no sense for federal-like governments to get involved.

Your views of right/wrong is very naive in my opinion. If thinks were that simple, there would be no such thing as debates, and there would be no such thing as politicians. You're suggesting that we shouldn't have a rule of law. You're suggesting that we should have a "righteous" world dictator, and citizens shouldn't be allowed to have their say. You're suggesting that only one way is the right way. It's a chaotic and worrying point of view.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a question for Peps and Leic. I have been reading your discussion and it's kind of complicated to find the fine line between Local and Federal law. Peps you make the case that Federal law is not healthy. But you do support the rule of law. A case where Federal Government should step in is the case of the Second Amendment. Currently that's up to the local town or states to grant you a firearm license. Now, what happens if the Police Chief is a tree hugging liberal and hates the second amendment? This is the case where Federal Government should step in.
But my question was more on the abortion topic.
Why is abortion important to both of you and how does it affect you on a personal level?
Thanks.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly is "highly debatable" about the "scope"? Should Mary's neighbour have a say in her abortion? Is that "debatable"? Should my neighbour have a say in Mary's abortion? Is that "debatable"?

If you believe laws should be localised as much as possible, then you would reject any restrictions on abortion imposed by a large group of individuals (the state) on the smaller localised group of individuals (mother, fetus, doctor & a few others), and support the smaller group of individuals making their own laws. Since all sides are logical, to maximise the citizens "options", it makes no sense for federal-like and state-like governments to get involved...right?

Disregard the EU for a moment and focus on Ireland, every John, Paul, and Matthew in Ireland shouldn't have a say in Mary's abortion to begin with, yes or no?

By "law" I didn't just mean what's written in legislation, the precedents set by the courts and the courts' interpretations of the legislation, are also a part of the "law". An abortion is legal in Ireland if the mother's life is at real and substantial risk from the pregnancy. A legal abortion takes into no account the status of the fetus, whether the fetus can survive or not is not a condition that must be satisfied in order for the legal abortion to occur. In other words, a woman can have an abortion legally even if her fetus can survive. The trouble for the last 20 years for the women and the doctors seeking legal abortions is in determining exactly when a mother's life is considered at risk enough by law. There isn't a 'litmus test' for whether or not someone's life is at risk. Is a 0.1% estimated risk of death enough risk? What about a 1% risk? 10%? 20%? 50%? 90%?

If only one individual would survive, it makes more logical sense to allow the child to live over the mother, as the child never had a chance to live.
... What?

If the goal is simply to give the "child" who never had a chance to live, a chance to live, wouldn't it be slightly more charitable to save the mother's life, so her future "children" can have that chance? I presume you would also be against the use of condoms? Because condoms prevent all the potential little "children" who never had a chance to live from ever getting that chance. Just imagine all the lives "saved" if contraception was banned.

Imagine all the lives "saved" when women are forced to carry their pregnancies to full term, against their will. I can imagine that, along with the cost. At the minimum, it will cost these women's right to autonomy of their own bodies for the duration of their pregnancy. That's far too great a cost. We generally don't demand people give up their right to autonomy, just to "save" lives. But perhaps you have a different vision? Just think of all the lives that could have been saved if we forced people to donate their organs, and forced them to work for the benefit of others?

Certain issues are in fact quite simple. The reason there are "debates" about these simple issues is because the ignorant can't see that they are ignorant, and remain in perpetual delusion by their own ignorance, all the while fantasizing that the problem at hand is truly, truly open.

Maybe I did miss your point... are you trying to tell me, there is "no reason" the EU should impose a ruling on a human right issue, and it makes "no sense" the federal government in the US should have a say in a human right issue? Like, an outsider would have no reason to stop a rape, since it doesn't affect them? Or, it wouldn't make sense for a bystander to stop bullying, as long as they're not the victim themselves? Or, it doesn't make sense for others to stop the human rights violations by the ban on abortion, so long as their own human rights aren't violated?

I don't agree that the EU should have no say in its member states' domestic laws, if those laws violate the fundamental rights of the EU citizens within the states. One of the main functions of the Union is to "harmonise" differences across its member states, and one of the main areas the Union plays the "harmonising" role in is human rights protection. Member states are bounded by the treaties of the Union, so legally, the EU does have some say in this.

Meanwhile, the federal government of the US is already "allowed to impose a ruling" on the abortion issue on the states, Roe v. Wade is an example of that. Has the sky fallen?

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question for Peps and Leic. I have been reading your discussion and it's kind of complicated to find the fine line between Local and Federal law. Peps you make the case that Federal law is not healthy. But you do support the rule of law. A case where Federal Government should step in is the case of the Second Amendment. Currently that's up to the local town or states to grant you a firearm license. Now, what happens if the Police Chief is a tree hugging liberal and hates the second amendment? This is the case where Federal Government should step in.
Why is abortion important to both of you and how does it affect you on a personal level?
Thanks.
It doesn't affect me on a personal level. I care, however, because abortion really shouldn't still be an "issue" in this day and age, but it still is. Why this issue in particular? I suppose all those women's struggles and suffering in getting an abortion must have touched a chord with me.

D

Deleted-185407

Thanks.

The issue of a corrupt police officer really has nothing to do with the federal government, but really is a police issue that should be resolved internally. If the citizens of a state voted to have firearms legalised, then their votes should be respected. While it is a constitutional issue, there's no reason for the federal government to step in when the issue can easily be resolved internally first. Having said that, if the citizens voted to ban guns, I don't see the issue, even if it goes against federal law.

But remember, the right to bear arms really has nothing to do with having a license to use a weapon. It's in the constitution to basically tell the federal government that the citizens are entitled to kick them out whenever they want, in order to prevent tyranny. It's to ensure that citizens always maintain control.

I'm not understanding your abortion question. On a personal level, since I'm male it can never be personal. But in my viewpoint, I care about the rights of the mother and of the unborn child. Murder isn't legal, so we should be consistent with the law. The right to abort a perfectly viable child with a heartbeat is akin to murder, and implies that the mother is entitled to end the life of their child even after birth. It might not affect me personally, but I care about my country and its citizens. I want to ensure that all citizens have a fair chance, and prematurely ending the life of an innocent child should not be allowed.

What exactly is "highly debatable" about the "scope"? Should Mary's neighbour have a say in her abortion? Is that "debatable"? Should my neighbour have a say in Mary's abortion? Is that "debatable"?

If you believe laws should be localised as much as possible, then you would reject any restrictions on abortion imposed by a large group of individuals (the state) on the smaller localised group of individuals (mother, fetus, doctor & a few others), and support the smaller group of individuals making their own laws. Since all sides are logical, to maximise the citizens "options", it makes no sense for federal-like and state-like governments to get involved...right?

Disregard the EU for a moment and focus on Ireland, every John, Paul, and Matthew in Ireland shouldn't have a say in Mary's abortion to begin with, yes or no?

By "law" I didn't just mean what's written in legislation, the precedents set by the courts and the courts' interpretations of the legislation, are also a part of the "law". An abortion is legal in Ireland if the mother's life is at real and substantial risk from the pregnancy. A legal abortion takes into no account the status of the fetus, whether the fetus can survive or not is not a condition that must be satisfied in order for the legal abortion to occur. In other words, a woman can have an abortion legally even if her fetus can survive. The trouble for the last 20 years for the women and the doctors seeking legal abortions is in determining exactly when a mother's life is considered at risk enough by law. There isn't a 'litmus test' for whether or not someone's life is at risk. Is a 0.1% estimated risk of death enough risk? What about a 1% risk? 10%? 20%? 50%? 90%?

If you want to prevent chaos, you have to have "levels" with scope. First you have the individual, and an individual is entitled to do whatever they want with their own body. If they want to damage their body with excessive alcohol consumption, they should be allowed to. Next level after that is family, then town, then county, then state, and then finally federal. Pretty simple stuff really. You need to maintain structure in order to prevent chaos. The problem here, is determining what the scope is. Abortion is clearly not an individual issue or family issue. It's at minimum a town issue, but the odds are, the doctor providing the service lives in an entirely different county, therefore, we use the state level of voting. Your views don't promote structure, and instead promotes conflict and chaos.

Court rulings are naturally an unwritten part of law, but the fact of the matter is, the Savita case is huge because it was known that neither the mother nor child would survive. If the condition of the fetus is never taken into account, then you might as well allow a mother to kill her child (with a perfectly normal heartbeat) to kill her child whenever she wants, born or not. And again, good laws would take the opinion of qualified professionals, as opposed to using measurements. If a doctor feels their patient has a death risk, and they feel the child is not going to survive, then I'm sure their opinion is good enough. Nobody has suggested using a percentage test, as that would be outright silly.

... What?

If the goal is simply to give the "child" who never had a chance to live, a chance to live, wouldn't it be slightly more charitable to save the mother's life, so her future "children" can have that chance? I presume you would also be against the use of condoms? Because condoms prevent all the potential little "children" who never had a chance to live from ever getting that chance. Just imagine all the lives "saved" if contraception was banned.

Imagine all the lives "saved" when women are forced to carry their pregnancies to full term, against their will. I can imagine that, along with the cost. At the minimum, it will cost these women's right to autonomy of their own bodies for the duration of their pregnancy. That's far too great a cost. We generally don't demand people give up their right to autonomy, just to "save" lives. But perhaps you have a different vision? Just think of all the lives that could have been saved if we forced people to donate their organs, and forced them to work for the benefit of others?

Certain issues are in fact quite simple. The reason there are "debates" about these simple issues is because the ignorant can't see that they are ignorant, and remain in perpetual delusion by their own ignorance, all the while fantasizing that the problem at hand is truly, truly open.

Maybe I did miss your point... are you trying to tell me, there is "no reason" the EU should impose a ruling on a human right issue, and it makes "no sense" the federal government in the US should have a say in a human right issue? Like, an outsider would have no reason to stop a rape, since it doesn't affect them? Or, it wouldn't make sense for a bystander to stop bullying, as long as they're not the victim themselves? Or, it doesn't make sense for others to stop the human rights violations by the ban on abortion, so long as their own human rights aren't violated?

I don't agree that the EU should have no say in its member states' domestic laws, if those laws violate the fundamental rights of the EU citizens within the states. One of the main functions of the Union is to "harmonise" differences across its member states, and one of the main areas the Union plays the "harmonising" role in is human rights protection. Member states are bounded by the treaties of the Union, so legally, the EU does have some say in this.

Meanwhile, the federal government of the US is already "allowed to impose a ruling" on the abortion issue on the states, Roe v. Wade is an example of that. Has the sky fallen?

Why would I be against the use of condoms? You're completely misunderstanding my argument. There's a period of time into the pregnancy when a fetus can be considered as a human that's alive. While it may still be highly dependent on the mother, the fact is, it's alive. I forget the period of time, but before that occurs, any abortion is fine with me, as the fetus is not conscious and isn't alive. It's only after that that abortions can be considered the same as murder. You're killing something that's alive, and that's just sick. You're meant to be the "land of opportunities". So it makes more sense to provide opportunities to everything that's alive.

We have plenty of systems in place now where women can give their children to other families to take care of. There's simply no reason for the first option to be aborting the child. If a mother never wished to have a child, they should have either used protection, or have aborted the child much sooner in the pregnancy. At worst, they can proceed with their pregnancy and the child can live in peace with different parents. There are couples out there who want kids, yet are unable to give birth themselves. Shouldn't we save the lives of these children, and ensure they go to loving families? You state that women shouldn't lose the right to control one's body, but why does that give her the right to determine whether or not an alive child should have the right to live or die?

Hence, it's not a simple issue. It's unfair to call other opinions ignorant when they have perfectly valid reasonings.

Abortion has nothing to do with human rights, and if it does, then you have to consider the child's human rights. No state is going to legalise rape. No state is going to legalise bullying. I don't see why you're attempting to raise them as valid points.

The EU can no doubt try to recommend and convince member states to change laws. But if a state feels like their law is superior, they should be allowed to implement that law. After all, perhaps that state sees something potentially innovative and amazing with their implementation that the EU might have overseen. Not to mention, why should a member state purposely damage their own country for the benefit of other countries? The EU has cosntantly been trying to convince Ireland to raise its corporation tax levels. However, our low corporation tax makes Ireland an attractive location for foreign businesses to set up, and helps boost our economy. If we were to follow the EU and get rid of it, our economy would take a heavy impact. Remember, a treaty is not a law, it's a non-binding agreement.

Structure is what I want, I don't really care about right/wrong, as long as people get what they voted for.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The issue of a corrupt police officer really has nothing to do with the federal government, but really is a police issue that should be resolved internally. If the citizens of a state voted to have firearms legalised, then their votes should be respected. While it is a constitutional issue, there's no reason for the federal government to step in when the issue can easily be resolved internally first. Having said that, if the citizens voted to ban guns, I don't see the issue, even if it goes against federal law.

But remember, the right to bear arms really has nothing to do with having a license to use a weapon. It's in the constitution to basically tell the federal government that the citizens are entitled to kick them out whenever they want, in order to prevent tyranny. It's to ensure that citizens always maintain control.

I'm not understanding your abortion question. On a personal level, since I'm male it can never be personal. But in my viewpoint, I care about the rights of the mother and of the unborn child. Murder isn't legal, so we should be consistent with the law. The right to abort a perfectly viable child with a heartbeat is akin to murder, and implies that the mother is entitled to end the life of their child even after birth. It might not affect me personally, but I care about my country and its citizens. I want to ensure that all citizens have a fair chance, and prematurely ending the life of an innocent child should not be allowed.

If you want to prevent chaos, you have to have "levels" with scope. First you have the individual, and an individual is entitled to do whatever they want with their own body. If they want to damage their body with excessive alcohol consumption, they should be allowed to. Next level after that is family, then town, then county, then state, and then finally federal. Pretty simple stuff really. You need to maintain structure in order to prevent chaos. The problem here, is determining what the scope is. Abortion is clearly not an individual issue or family issue. It's at minimum a town issue, but the odds are, the doctor providing the service lives in an entirely different county, therefore, we use the state level of voting. Your views don't promote structure, and instead promotes conflict and chaos.

Court rulings are naturally an unwritten part of law, but the fact of the matter is, the Savita case is huge because it was known that neither the mother nor child would survive. If the condition of the fetus is never taken into account, then you might as well allow a mother to kill her child (with a perfectly normal heartbeat) to kill her child whenever she wants, born or not. And again, good laws would take the opinion of qualified professionals, as opposed to using measurements. If a doctor feels their patient has a death risk, and they feel the child is not going to survive, then I'm sure their opinion is good enough. Nobody has suggested using a percentage test, as that would be outright silly.

Why would I be against the use of condoms? You're completely misunderstanding my argument. There's a period of time into the pregnancy when a fetus can be considered as a human that's alive. While it may still be highly dependent on the mother, the fact is, it's alive. I forget the period of time, but before that occurs, any abortion is fine with me, as the fetus is not conscious and isn't alive. It's only after that that abortions can be considered the same as murder. You're killing something that's alive, and that's just sick. You're meant to be the "land of opportunities". So it makes more sense to provide opportunities to everything that's alive.

We have plenty of systems in place now where women can give their children to other families to take care of. There's simply no reason for the first option to be aborting the child. If a mother never wished to have a child, they should have either used protection, or have aborted the child much sooner in the pregnancy. At worst, they can proceed with their pregnancy and the child can live in peace with different parents. There are couples out there who want kids, yet are unable to give birth themselves. Shouldn't we save the lives of these children, and ensure they go to loving families? You state that women shouldn't lose the right to control one's body, but why does that give her the right to determine whether or not an alive child should have the right to live or die?

Hence, it's not a simple issue. It's unfair to call other opinions ignorant when they have perfectly valid reasonings.

Abortion has nothing to do with human rights, and if it does, then you have to consider the child's human rights. No state is going to legalise rape. No state is going to legalise bullying. I don't see why you're attempting to raise them as valid points.

The EU can no doubt try to recommend and convince member states to change laws. But if a state feels like their law is superior, they should be allowed to implement that law. After all, perhaps that state sees something potentially innovative and amazing with their implementation that the EU might have overseen. Not to mention, why should a member state purposely damage their own country for the benefit of other countries? The EU has cosntantly been trying to convince Ireland to raise its corporation tax levels. However, our low corporation tax makes Ireland an attractive location for foreign businesses to set up, and helps boost our economy. If we were to follow the EU and get rid of it, our economy would take a heavy impact. Remember, a treaty is not a law, it's a non-binding agreement.

Structure is what I want, I don't really care about right/wrong, as long as people get what they voted for.

"Abortion is clearly not an individual issue or family issue" and it's "at minimum a town issue"... because why?

Because the individuals affected might come from different families and different places of the town? And suddenly, everyone else, who isn't affected by Jennifer's abortion, in every other family throughout the whole town gets to have a say in Jennifer's abortion? I'm not following the leap of logic here. Please justify why everyone else automatically gets a say in the termination of Jennifer's pregnancy, but not in the termination of Jennifer's sexual relationship with Peter, who lives in an entirely different county or a different part of the town.

Are you really that ignorant of the Irish reality? Even I know that the Irish law permits abortion if the pregnancy threatens the woman's life. The condition of the fetus isn't taken into account, but whether or not the woman could die is taken into account. In the judgment in the X Case, Finlay C.J. wrote: "... if it is established as a matter of probability that there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother, which can only be avoided by the termination of her pregnancy, such termination is permissible, having regard to the true interpretation of Article 40,s.3, sub-s. 3 of the Constitution." (1)

It's not that the doctors can't tell when a woman's life is at risk in medical terms, they always publish those percentages in medical literature, so the doctors know something carries a ___% risk to a person's life. These "qualified professionals" don't use "feelings" to do their work, they use "measurements", this is a scientific discipline after all. If you want a strictly medical opinion, then a 0.1% risk of death is a risk of death, a 1% risk of death is a higher risk of death, a 10% risk of death is an even higher risk of death. That's what a doctor can tell you in their professional capacity.

What they can't tell you, however, is at what point exactly, does the medical risk become "a matter of probability that there is a real and substantial risk" in legal terms. They can't tell whether a termination performed when there's a 1/100 chance the mother could die from continued pregnancy, would cause themselves legal troubles later on, should somebody else lodge a complaint that 1/100 isn't real and substantial enough for the termination. So naturally, many doctors would hesitate, when they're uncertain about the legal implications of a certain procedure. And they would procrastinate, until the woman's condition has deteriorated to such a point that no one would think of complaining the risk isn't great enough; then and only then, would they do the procedure. At that point, not only does the pregnancy pose a greater risk to the mother's life, the termination itself carries a greater risk too, due to the more advanced pregnancy. As all odds are stacked against the woman, it's only a matter of time before tragedy strikes.

It's nice that you're "sure" a doctor's own opinion is "good enough" to prevent them from falling victim to any potential legal issues surrounding abortion, I'm afraid the doctors themselves and most people in Ireland aren't so sure about this. As observed in the judgment of A, B and C v. Ireland: "While a constitutional provision of this scope is not unusual, no criteria or procedures have been subsequently laid down in Irish law, whether in legislation, case law or otherwise, by which that risk is to be measured or determined, leading to uncertainty as to its precise application." (2) The resonance of that sentiment can be heard in most discussions on this topic: here, here, here, here, here, etc. And, of course, once again in the report of the "expert group" on the issue that was published recently: here.

International treaties such as The European Convention on Human Rights, The Treaties of the European Union, The Treaty of Lisbon, are binding agreements. Rulings of the European courts are binding on the states. They're all part of international law.

Define what you mean by "alive". Perhaps I'll know which "period" you're talking about then.

Also, do you support abortion (on demand) all the way up to the point where the fetus is "alive"?

You seem to think that "getting born" should be treated like some sort of "equal opportunity pony ride", where everyone "alive" should get a chance at being born, but once they've had that chance, they should be willing to give up their seat for someone else. Which begs the question: why should "getting born" be treated as an "equal opportunity pony ride" to begin with?

No clue what you're even thinking when you say "abortion has nothing to do with human rights". Again, what on earth do you think human rights are? Take a read at the court documents from various countries regarding the abortion debate, the central arguments have always been about human rights.

In case you've forgotten, before other families can take care of the children, the women would have to actually complete their pregnancies, first. Abortion takes place during that time, when the pregnancy hasn't completed, and other families can't just take care of the "children". If a woman can be compelled by threat of arrest & imprisonment, to loan her body for others (e.g. fetus, adoptive family) to use for their own benefits, which are unrelated to her own priorities and aspirations -- that's in effect (reproductive) slavery.

The mother has always been the one who "determines" whether or not her fetus lives or dies: abortion isn't the only time a mother makes a choice on its behalf, childbirth is another time a mother makes a choice that's solely her own, without consultation whatsoever with the fetus. The fetus never chose to live, or die. Either way, that decision is made by someone else.

No state in the modern era is going to legalise rape, or bullying, and no state in the modern era is going to legalise (reproductive) slavery. Do you see the point of those examples, now? ;) This has dragged on much longer than I had anticipated, when I first brought up the slavery example. The Irish ban on abortion is in fact what you've called a "dark age" concept, the page of history has already turned on this issue, yet some people seem completely oblivious of that reality. Just like the Creationists who sincerely believe their opinions on evolution aren't ignorant.

There's no such thing as "people get what they voted for" on abortion, there's only "the majority get what they voted for"; the Irish people who voted against the ban did not get what they voted for, and they are the ones who will suffer as a result of the ban, not the majority. If you truly want structure, then perhaps you should start caring about right/wrong, because an unadaptive majority rule that is wrong can lead to the destruction of your precious "structure".

D

Deleted-185407

"Abortion is clearly not an individual issue or family issue" and it's "at minimum a town issue"... because why?

Because the individuals affected might come from different families and different places of the town? And suddenly, everyone else, who isn't affected by Jennifer's abortion, in every other family throughout the whole town gets to have a say in Jennifer's abortion? I'm not following the leap of logic here. Please justify why everyone else automatically gets a say in the termination of Jennifer's pregnancy, but not in the termination of Jennifer's sexual relationship with Peter, who lives in an entirely different county or a different part of the town.

Are you really that ignorant of the Irish reality? Even I know that the Irish law permits abortion if the pregnancy threatens the woman's life. The condition of the fetus isn't taken into account, but whether or not the woman could die is taken into account. In the judgment in the X Case, Finlay C.J. wrote: "... if it is established as a matter of probability that there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother, which can only be avoided by the termination of her pregnancy, such termination is permissible, having regard to the true interpretation of Article 40,s.3, sub-s. 3 of the Constitution." (1)

It's not that the doctors can't tell when a woman's life is at risk in medical terms, they always publish those percentages in medical literature, so the doctors know something carries a ___% risk to a person's life. These "qualified professionals" don't use "feelings" to do their work, they use "measurements", this is a scientific discipline after all. If you want a strictly medical opinion, then a 0.1% risk of death is a risk of death, a 1% risk of death is a higher risk of death, a 10% risk of death is an even higher risk of death. That's what a doctor can tell you in their professional capacity.

What they can't tell you, however, is at what point exactly, does the medical risk become "a matter of probability that there is a real and substantial risk" in legal terms. They can't tell whether a termination performed when there's a 1/100 chance the mother could die from continued pregnancy, would cause themselves legal troubles later on, should somebody else lodge a complaint that 1/100 isn't real and substantial enough for the termination. So naturally, many doctors would hesitate, when they're uncertain about the legal implications of a certain procedure. And they would procrastinate, until the woman's condition has deteriorated to such a point that no one would think of complaining the risk isn't great enough; then and only then, would they do the procedure. At that point, not only does the pregnancy pose a greater risk to the mother's life, the termination itself carries a greater risk too, due to the more advanced pregnancy. As all odds are stacked against the woman, it's only a matter of time before tragedy strikes.

It's nice that you're "sure" a doctor's own opinion is "good enough" to prevent them from falling victim to any potential legal issues surrounding abortion, I'm afraid the doctors themselves and most people in Ireland aren't so sure about this. As observed in the judgment of A, B and C v. Ireland: "While a constitutional provision of this scope is not unusual, no criteria or procedures have been subsequently laid down in Irish law, whether in legislation, case law or otherwise, by which that risk is to be measured or determined, leading to uncertainty as to its precise application." (2) The resonance of that sentiment can be heard in most discussions on this topic: here, here, here, here, here, etc. And, of course, once again in the report of the "expert group" on the issue that was published recently: here.

International treaties such as The European Convention on Human Rights, The Treaties of the European Union, The Treaty of Lisbon, are binding agreements. Rulings of the European courts are binding on the states. They're all part of international law.

Define what you mean by "alive". Perhaps I'll know which "period" you're talking about then.

Also, do you support abortion (on demand) all the way up to the point where the fetus is "alive"?

You seem to think that "getting born" should be treated like some sort of "equal opportunity pony ride", where everyone "alive" should get a chance at being born, but once they've had that chance, they should be willing to give up their seat for someone else. Which begs the question: why should "getting born" be treated as an "equal opportunity pony ride" to begin with?

No clue what you're even thinking when you say "abortion has nothing to do with human rights". Again, what on earth do you think human rights are? Take a read at the court documents from various countries regarding the abortion debate, the central arguments have always been about human rights.

In case you've forgotten, before other families can take care of the children, the women would have to actually complete their pregnancies, first. Abortion takes place during that time, when the pregnancy hasn't completed, and other families can't just take care of the "children". If a woman can be compelled by threat of arrest & imprisonment, to loan her body for others (e.g. fetus, adoptive family) to use for their own benefits, which are unrelated to her own priorities and aspirations -- that's in effect (reproductive) slavery.

The mother has always been the one who "determines" whether or not her fetus lives or dies: abortion isn't the only time a mother makes a choice on its behalf, childbirth is another time a mother makes a choice that's solely her own, without consultation whatsoever with the fetus. The fetus never chose to live, or die. Either way, that decision is made by someone else.

No state in the modern era is going to legalise rape, or bullying, and no state in the modern era is going to legalise (reproductive) slavery. Do you see the point of those examples, now? ;) This has dragged on much longer than I had anticipated, when I first brought up the slavery example. The Irish ban on abortion is in fact what you've called a "dark age" concept, the page of history has already turned on this issue, yet some people seem completely oblivious of that reality. Just like the Creationists who sincerely believe their opinions on evolution aren't ignorant.

There's no such thing as "people get what they voted for" on abortion, there's only "the majority get what they voted for"; the Irish people who voted against the ban did not get what they voted for, and they are the ones who will suffer as a result of the ban, not the majority. If you truly want structure, then perhaps you should start caring about right/wrong, because an unadaptive majority rule that is wrong can lead to the destruction of your precious "structure".

I'm not turning this debate into a debate about abortion, because there's no point to debating it and its an entirely different topic. We clearly have entirely different views on who should be allowed to live or die. There is a such thing as dealing with the consequences, and we shouldn't be giving women an opportunity to kill an innocent child, just because they don't feel like having a child. I'm not going to start going into circumstances like rape as we could start going on for ages. The point is however, is that you're failing to recognise that the child is allowed to have his say as well. There are consequences to life, and immaturely allowing murder is not the way to go. I have no idea why you're comparing it to slavery either, because the woman put herself into an unfavourable position. If the woman didn't want to face of the consequences of pregnancy (again, ignoring rape otherwise we could go on forever), then she shouldn't have had sex. It's a potential consequence that everyone should always have in the back of the heads whenever they engage in sexual activity. We should not be promoting immaturity.

Although I will note, that all percentages doctors give are based on their experiences, thus is based on how they "feel" about the circumstances. Majority of estimates people make are based on how they feel something will play out. They're arbitrary values, similar to stuff like review scores. While you could apply some measurements, arbitrary percentages and review scores and so on, are ultimately based on how the individual feels about the action or the media. In software development, I always have to give estimates on how long I feel something will take. While I could probably give more accurate measurements, the idea of agile is that people give estimates on how long they feel something will take so that business can be done quicker. It's all logical still, but you're going to have plenty of unanswered questions. My professional opinion may be sometimes wrong, but you're going to have situations like that a lot. But again, good laws would not never use arbitrary measurements, and would use the advice of professionals. It would be outright silly for law to determine something it knows nothing about, and that is often circumstantial.

Anywho, you clearly believe right/wrong is a clear as black/white. It's fundamentally an entirely different approach to law, and one I cannot approve of as it doesn't give individuals the right to voice their opinion. You want to completely ignore their opinions, while only listening to one that you believe is right. If people want to change law and are unhappy with how a vote played out, they shouldn't hope that someone more powerful than them would come in and save the day. The people should instead, get off their rear ends and start getting politically active. They should start debating, and start getting their message heard. Structure comes first, right/wrong comes second. You can't implement right/wrong unless you have the structure in place to do so. Again, you're stating that it's perfectly fine for law and politics to be abolished, as long as everyone follows your views of "right/wrong".

You do understand why different political parties exist? Do you honestly think people would fight for something "wrong" that they can't back up? People have their own right/wrong beliefs, just like you have your own that you're trying to make me follow. I understand your point of view perfectly fine, but I believe its fundamentally wrong. You don't believe voting should exist, I do.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not turning this debate into a debate about abortion, because there's no point to debating it and its an entirely different topic. We clearly have entirely different views on who should be allowed to live or die. There is a such thing as dealing with the consequences, and we shouldn't be giving women an opportunity to kill an innocent child, just because they don't feel like having a child. I'm not going to start going into circumstances like rape as we could start going on for ages. The point is however, is that you're failing to recognise that the child is allowed to have his say as well. There are consequences to life, and immaturely allowing murder is not the way to go. I have no idea why you're comparing it to slavery either, because the woman put herself into an unfavourable position. If the woman didn't want to face of the consequences of pregnancy (again, ignoring rape otherwise we could go on forever), then she shouldn't have had sex. It's a potential consequence that everyone should always have in the back of the heads whenever they engage in sexual activity. We should not be promoting immaturity.

Although I will note, that all percentages doctors give are based on their experiences, thus is based on how they "feel" about the circumstances. Majority of estimates people make are based on how they feel something will play out. They're arbitrary values, similar to stuff like review scores. While you could apply some measurements, arbitrary percentages and review scores and so on, are ultimately based on how the individual feels about the action or the media. In software development, I always have to give estimates on how long I feel something will take. While I could probably give more accurate measurements, the idea of agile is that people give estimates on how long they feel something will take so that business can be done quicker. It's all logical still, but you're going to have plenty of unanswered questions. My professional opinion may be sometimes wrong, but you're going to have situations like that a lot. But again, good laws would not never use arbitrary measurements, and would use the advice of professionals. It would be outright silly for law to determine something it knows nothing about, and that is often circumstantial.

Anywho, you clearly believe right/wrong is a clear as black/white. It's fundamentally an entirely different approach to law, and one I cannot approve of as it doesn't give individuals the right to voice their opinion. You want to completely ignore their opinions, while only listening to one that you believe is right. If people want to change law and are unhappy with how a vote played out, they shouldn't hope that someone more powerful than them would come in and save the day. The people should instead, get off their rear ends and start getting politically active. They should start debating, and start getting their message heard. Structure comes first, right/wrong comes second. You can't implement right/wrong unless you have the structure in place to do so. Again, you're stating that it's perfectly fine for law and politics to be abolished, as long as everyone follows your views of "right/wrong".

You do understand why different political parties exist? Do you honestly think people would fight for something "wrong" that they can't back up? People have their own right/wrong beliefs, just like you have your own that you're trying to make me follow. I understand your point of view perfectly fine, but I believe its fundamentally wrong. You don't believe voting should exist, I do.
So, I take it you've (again) shifted your argument from "this is all about scope", to "this is about dealing with the consequences"? lol Do you still want to hold on to the "scope" argument for a while longer, or are you strictly hanging from the "consequences" one, now? And nope, we can't start going on for "ages" if you start going into circumstances like rape, because you know you've lost that argument before it even started. Just let me ask you this: should a rape victim be allowed to have an abortion, or not?

I completely agree it's silly for law to determine something it knows nothing about... I suppose you would support a clear legislation that aims to protect doctors from any potential prosecution for the abortions they perform, as long as they personally feel the abortion's warranted?

Again, are you "pro-choice" up to the point where the fetus is "alive"? Define "alive" while you're at it.

The legal "structure" of the federal government, and of the European Union, is already in place... Are you advocating it should be abolished, modified, or what?

Accepting that not all answers are equally "right", is the first step to any policy discussion. Otherwise, we should simply flip a coin, or roll a dice, to determine which policy to enforce. It would serve no purpose to discuss the policies before a decision's announced, other than to satisfy some people's curiosity, which does not need to be satisfied right before the decision's made.

So I don't know how accepting that some answers can be objectively wrong, is equivalent to "it doesn't give individuals the right to 'voice' their opinion"? Everyone certainly has the right to "think" about it and "talk" about it, however wrong their opinion may be. But you don't just mean "thinking" and "talking" about it, do you? You want a certain opinion -- the majority's opinion -- enshrined in law, so that everyone else who disagrees with it, will be forced into submission. You see how utterly contradictory the things you want to achieve are? Does the woman who wants to have an abortion have the right to "voice" her opinion, or not?

And yes, I do honestly think people would fight for something "wrong" that they can't back up. Creationists, god-worshipers, and the like aren't really just a figment of my imagination, or are they?

They're wrong; however, I don't make them follow my beliefs, they can think that way, and talk that way, all day every day. I've never tried to make you follow my beliefs, either. I fully support your right to follow your own beliefs. I also fully support Jenny's right to follow her own beliefs. And my right to follow mine. You're personally against abortion? Cool, then don't have one, I won't force you to have an abortion. Jenny wants to get an abortion? Do it safely, I'll do whatever I can to help, I won't force her to not get it. I want an abortion? I should be able to get one without harassment from people like you. Sound fair? So, follow your beliefs in your own conduct, and let others do the same.

D

Deleted-185407

So, I take it you've (again) shifted your argument from "this is all about scope", to "this is about dealing with the consequences"? lol Do you still want to hold on to the "scope" argument for a while longer, or are you strictly hanging from the "consequences" one, now? And nope, we can't start going on for "ages" if you start going into circumstances like rape, because you know you've lost that argument before it even started. Just let me ask you this: should a rape victim be allowed to have an abortion, or not?

I completely agree it's silly for law to determine something it knows nothing about... I suppose you would support a clear legislation that aims to protect doctors from any potential prosecution for the abortions they perform, as long as they personally feel the abortion's warranted?

Again, are you "pro-choice" up to the point where the fetus is "alive"? Define "alive" while you're at it.

The legal "structure" of the federal government, and of the European Union, is already in place... Are you advocating it should be abolished, modified, or what?

Accepting that not all answers are equally "right", is the first step to any policy discussion. Otherwise, we should simply flip a coin, or roll a dice, to determine which policy to enforce. It would serve no purpose to discuss the policies before a decision's announced, other than to satisfy some people's curiosity, which does not need to be satisfied right before the decision's made.

So I don't know how accepting that some answers can be objectively wrong, is equivalent to "it doesn't give individuals the right to 'voice' their opinion"? Everyone certainly has the right to "think" about it and "talk" about it, however wrong their opinion may be. But you don't just mean "thinking" and "talking" about it, do you? You want a certain opinion -- the majority's opinion -- enshrined in law, so that everyone else who disagrees with it, will be forced into submission. You see how utterly contradictory the things you want to achieve are? Does the woman who wants to have an abortion have the right to "voice" her opinion, or not?

And yes, I do honestly think people would fight for something "wrong" that they can't back up. Creationists, god-worshipers, and the like aren't really just a figment of my imagination, or are they?

They're wrong; however, I don't make them follow my beliefs, they can think that way, and talk that way, all day every day. I've never tried to make you follow my beliefs, either. I fully support your right to follow your own beliefs. I also fully support Jenny's right to follow her own beliefs. And my right to follow mine. You're personally against abortion? Cool, then don't have one, I won't force you to have an abortion. Jenny wants to get an abortion? Do it safely, I'll do whatever I can to help, I won't force her to not get it. I want an abortion? I should be able to get one without harassment from people like you. Sound fair? So, follow your beliefs in your own conduct, and let others do the same.

No. Scope still applies. You've turned the debate into a debate about abortion, which is not what I want to debate about. And I don't actually want to argue about the scope for abortion either, other than you should acknowledge that it exists, and that you should acknowledge that an abortion in Ireland has nothing to do with the people of America. I still firmly with my point of views, and believe my point of views are far more justified than your views of allowing murder, and are FAR more flexible than current Irish law. This is about who should have control over what, that's what I'm more concerned over, and I'm stopping the abortion discussion here because we've gone WAY off track. Besides, you've completely misunderstood my point of views on abortion, and you seem to think my views would have caused the Savita incident to occur, which is entirely false. You seem to misunderstand that the concerns you have would be the primary focuses of my abortion policies, yet you're refusing to acknowledge that, and you seem to be thinking that my views don't allow abortions period. Again, false. However, to close off the abortion debate, I'm pretty sure we can both agree that we should not be allowing irresponsible women to get "get out of jail for free" card? That's what my views aim to stop, which you seem to be ignoring entirely, whereas your views don't seem to care about women killing innocent children because they weren't responsible enough to not have sex. So not only is it off-topic, but unless you actually try to properly understand my point of view, there's no point continuing that track.

The legal structure between US federal government and the European Union is entirely different. The European Union structure I believe is excellent. The EU does not have the right to dictate to us what our social laws should be, and can only make recommendations as to how we should manage our finances. If we don't want to change our corporate tax rate, we shouldn't be forced to. We shouldn't be forced to risk our economy so that other economies may grow. We might lend and contribute to a bail-out, but we'll be expecting that money back. That's a good system, unlike the American system where it's chaotic, full of contradictions, and doesn't have any clear boundaries as to where power stops. That's my problem. Again, take the recent change on marijuana laws, which some states highly approve of. Why should the federal government force them to change their law? Why should the federal government be allowed to sue that state for listening to its people? It's silly. Citizens outside the state of Colorado and other states are not affected by the marijuana legislation laws. It makes no sense why they should have a say.

The extremist people you're talking about are in a severe minority. But again, if you want that to change, you're taking the wrong stance. Taking the top-down approach of forcing these people to follow a particular belief set only causes hatred and war. It's a dangerous view to have. The better approach is to instead to try argue your opposing point of view, and to try be as convincing as possible. Of course, it's not an easy battle, but it's the only way you're ever going to have a change that you desire without causing any party to hate each other, while still maintaining a structured rule of law. At the moment, you don't seem to care what the system is, and you're just as bad as Republicans who can't decide whether or not they're for state rights. You're either for state rights, or you're not. You can't pick and choose your battles, as it's inconsistent, and doesn't respect structure and order.

I will ask you one thing though, if you believe your views are correct and believe strongly in them, why aren't you a politician with a strong party to back them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs