Hardware RRoD shows up in the middle of gameplay, rarely while turning it on

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I had my Xbox 360 for like 6 years now. It really grew up on me, so I was devastated when it got a RRoD. The RRoD has been appearing for like a week now and I tried various fixes not involving taking my console apart. The RRoD actually appeared constantly like 6 months ago and I temporarily fixed it. I tried a lot of methods, turning my console to the horizontal position, cleaning it with a vacuum, putting both the console and power brick on my table, ventilating my room... Pretty much every known method (except the towel trick because it's so unbelievably stupid).

The method that worked was: 1) completely clean the power brick, 2) install new update (even though I'm not sure if that actually helped).
I tried this again, now when the RRoD suddenly appeared once again.

Here is how it looks like: I was playing a game (Skyrim was the last game I played). Everything goes fine, the framerate didn't drop even a bit, but then suddenly my screen flashes yellow for like a split-second and then a black screen showed up like I turned the console off. The RRoD then appeared; the three lights start flashing and the DVD tray is impossible to open. If I reset the console, the RRoD appears once again, but this time it's not flashing. The only way I can play again is by hard reseting my X360 by disconnecting the power source from my power brick and reconnecting it then turning on the console.

Now, is there any other method for fixing it (not necessarely permanent)? I could open it, but I am pretty clumsy and I could damage my console more than it's now.

Any help is appreciated.

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
My advise? Buy as new as you can get "current" model, flash it with custom dvd firmware or RGH it & enjoy all the games/arcades/emulation/unreleased/custom things you can get your hands with. Their cheap as (silicon)chips these days so why bother with the hassles of the old machine? You can also enjoy your old saves & open a whole heap of "new" to you stuff at the same time with a newer Slim console.

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My advise? Buy as new as you can get "current" model, flash it with custom dvd firmware or RGH it & enjoy all the games/arcades/emulation/unreleased/custom things you can get your hands with. Their cheap as (silicon)chips these days so why bother with the hassles of the old machine? You can also enjoy your old saves & open a whole heap of "new" to you stuff at the same time with a newer Slim console.
That would be an option. If I wasn't a broke student. I know that Xbox 360 consoles are cheap, but I cannot risk buying a new console when I barely have for some food. I will get it eventually, but I really want to play some games now, and that's why I'm asking this.

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I had my Xbox 360 for like 6 years now. It really grew up on me, so I was devastated when it got a RRoD. The RRoD has been appearing for like a week now and I tried various fixes not involving taking my console apart. The RRoD actually appeared constantly like 6 months ago and I temporarily fixed it. I tried a lot of methods, turning my console to the horizontal position, cleaning it with a vacuum, putting both the console and power brick on my table, ventilating my room... Pretty much every known method (except the towel trick because it's so unbelievably stupid).

The method that worked was: 1) completely clean the power brick, 2) install new update (even though I'm not sure if that actually helped).
I tried this again, now when the RRoD suddenly appeared once again.

Here is how it looks like: I was playing a game (Skyrim was the last game I played). Everything goes fine, the framerate didn't drop even a bit, but then suddenly my screen flashes yellow for like a split-second and then a black screen showed up like I turned the console off. The RRoD then appeared; the three lights start flashing and the DVD tray is impossible to open. If I reset the console, the RRoD appears once again, but this time it's not flashing. The only way I can play again is by hard reseting my X360 by disconnecting the power source from my power brick and reconnecting it then turning on the console.

Now, is there any other method for fixing it (not necessarely permanent)? I could open it, but I am pretty clumsy and I could damage my console more than it's now.

Any help is appreciated.
9v fan mod it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your only option, to permanently get rid of the RROD is to get it reballed.
Anything else is just a patch and will just prolong the inevitable.

Buying a new one is also an option.

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Xlean the console? New thermal paste? Xclamp.with washers?
Here's the picture of the ring.
I already cleaned the console, but I didn't try the thermal paste and xclamp method. I might try it, but which thermal paste is the best? There are a few I saw in a store.

Attachments

• IMG_20170528_145755.jpg
    IMG_20170528_145755.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 254

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Okay, I'll try it. If it won't work, I'll take it for a repair. If the repair will be to costly, I'll just sell this one for parts and get a new one. My cousin might be selling his, so I might get a family discount. Thanks for your help, everyone.

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Okay, I'll try it. If it won't work, I'll take it for a repair. If the repair will be to costly, I'll just sell this one for parts and get a new one. My cousin might be selling his, so I might get a family discount. Thanks for your help, everyone.
If that doesn't fix it try the 9v fan mod.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If that doesn't fix it try the 9v fan mod.

That won't help fix an RROD.
Most RRODs are caused by cracked solder joints.
They need to be permanently reattached, due to heat expansion disconnecting them again.
No matter what you throw at it, the outcome is still the same, cracked connections aren't reliable.

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm not gonna make a new thread so here we go.

I took the Xbox 360 to a friend so he can repair it. He said that he successfully repaired it, but when I got it back, I experienced the same issue as before. I asked him what's the problem, he was surprised and told me to press the eject button four times while holding the sync button and see the number of lights each time I pressed it. I got this code: 4441. He said that it's a power supply issue. The power brick light also glowed red. Now, I don't really want to buy a new power brick, so does anyone know to fix this issue?
Thanks in advance.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A second hand powerbrick isn't that expensive really.
But, you could gut an ATX PSU and splice the wires from the 360 PSU plug to the ATX PSU.

Tho in all honesty, get a new PSU.

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A second hand powerbrick isn't that expensive really.
But, you could gut an ATX PSU and splice the wires from the 360 PSU plug to the ATX PSU.

Tho in all honesty, get a new PSU.
I just bought a new PSU. It wasn't expensive.
I can say that it works pretty good so far and I'm certain that my PSU was faulty. Didn't experience any problems, except the X360 is even louder than it was before (the guy that repaired it says that the fans make the loud noise, that he wanted to replace them but didn't have spare fans).

However, I gave my PSU to my friend and it works just like new on his X360. Does anyone know why it doesn't work on mine, but works perfectly on his? Thanks in advance.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Could be that your 360 draws to much power from it.

As for the loud fans, does it move cold or warm air?
It could be that he didn't put a new layer of thermal paste on the CPU/GPU.

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Could be that your 360 draws to much power from it.

As for the loud fans, does it move cold or warm air?
It could be that he didn't put a new layer of thermal paste on the CPU/GPU.
He told me everything he did in detail. He said that he did change the thermal paste. He basically did the whole X-clamp method while repairing everything else that needed a repair, like changing the DVD drive belt.

So the problem is that, as my X360 ages, it requires more power from the power supply? It is quite old now, I've had it for four years and, from what I saw, the previous owner had it for at least 4 years. My previous PSU is a Jasper PSU (150W) and my new one is a Xenon/Zephyr PSU (203W). His X360 is a Jasper so it should work fine.

About the fans... When I turn it on, it first moves cold air that gradually warms up.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Replacing the Xclamp with washer n bolts does more harm then good.
It puts more stress on the board, resulting in faster breakage of the BGA.

I never heard of a system requiring more power as it ages tho.

Hm, that's supposed to happen, if it moves hot air that means the thermal paste is working.

SWATlozar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Replacing the Xclamp with washer n bolts does more harm then good.
It puts more stress on the board, resulting in faster breakage of the BGA.

I never heard of a system requiring more power as it ages tho.

Hm, that's supposed to happen, if it moves hot air that means the thermal paste is working.
Hmm, I didn't know that replacing the x-clamps breaks the console faster. It's too late now, so I hope it'll survive for some time. He did change the thermal paste and cleaned everything up, so there's that.

Honestly, I don't mind the loud noise that much. I have damaged hearing and wear special headphones so I can barely hear it. I was just concerned if something was wrong with my console.
Oh, and the air gets hot. Like really hot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Hey, VSauce. Where are your fingers?