• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

"Russia admits to have over '1 trillion carats' in diamond

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diamonds in the Rough-ssia
gallery_109594_291_37854.png

Have you ever wondered what its like to live in Russia? If you have played Fallout 3, you probably already have a pretty good idea. After the collapse of the USSR in 1991, things went from bad to worse. But it seems like Russia has been hiding something for 40 some years.

For years now, under the Soviet government, russians have been building classified facilities to start mining and exporting goods from the great beyond. Recently Russia has admitted to having over 1 trillion carats worth of diamonds hidden away in a 62 mile wide crater.

"Diamonds you say? Like diamonds that go on rings?" Not exactly. These were formed differently from the rocks used to persuade someone to spend the rest of your life with. The carbon Russia has been hiding for so long are called "impact diamonds". Siberia is covered with natural graphite deposits. When a flaming rock from space careened into the surface of the earth, the graphite instantly became super hard diamonds, twice as strong as average beauty shiners.

Why the hush hush? Russia has been secretly gearing up for this move for quite some time, especially because of the mining operation in Mirny, Yakutia.

And indeed, the deposit of super-hard diamonds contained in rocks of the Popigai crypto-explosion structure is massive — about trillions of carats. This is ten times the amount found in Yakutia.
Moreover, this extraterrestrial diamond deposit is the only one in the world. By virtue of this unique cache, Russia now has a monopoly on what will surely be a very sought after resource. And indeed, geologists say there is enough raw material in the crater to supply global demand for centuries to come.

Insane in the membrane.
Source(s)
:arrow: io9
:arrow: Gizmodo

Sorry @[member='Gahars']
I thought i would take this one. Not only do i find things about the USSR, rocks, and space interesting, but also my last name, Bortz, actually means "industrial strength diamond".

Reactions: 9 people

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No pics of teh diamonds?
Err...this is Russia we're talking about here. Not saying anything bad about Russia, but they've certainly attempted to keep themselves secret for quite a while. There's still a ton of stuff from WWII we don't know yet.

However I'm sure pictures will turn up eventually.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
io9 has the cover image to what i imagine would be an arial shot of the crater, but i dont think you can see any diamonds.

gallery_109594_291_9017.jpeg

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So if these are like super hard diamonds, you cant mine them unless you use like explosives or something right? Or am I just thinking to much Minecraft? :wacko:
You can only break this diamond with diamondium!

Reactions: 2 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I shall have to read up on the physics of this (tangentially related http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/30/diamonds_hard_material/ ) as I am not entirely sure how that works.

Wandering in I was kind of hoping this was about them having stuff locked in stores and they were gearing up to flood the diamond market and put the price down to what it should be (diamonds are pretty much common worthless rocks save for the artificial scarcity) but this is probably more interesting.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so diamond price will fall soon as there is lots available making it less rare LOL

Not quite. These diamonds are the only kind on Earth at the moment. It's likely that these will only be used in specific applications and they'll be exorbitantly expensive since Russia is the only know place now to get them. Regular diamonds won't fall in price.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so diamond price will fall soon as there is lots available making it less rare LOL
Diamonds (the pretty kind) are already not a rare material. They can be sold for such profit because of hoarding and clever market maneuvering. But diamonds are not rare by any means.

But those arent even what we are talking about. Read the article. These are industrial strength diamonds. The kinds used for coating saw blades and shiz.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2