Homebrew Seems Neimod made a little more progress.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you want GBA and SNES emulation on a nice, big screen, how about getting a machine that already does it perfectly fine, for example the PSP which nowadays sells for next to nothing?

I put my expectations higher - I will only be satisfied with Saturn, Nintendo 64, PSX and (wishful thinking, the 3DS isn't nearly beefy enough to make it playable) the Dreamcast. Give me that and perhaps some good old MAME and I'm sold, running to the nearest store to get a 3DS.
Everyone says it sells for "next to nothing" but I can't find one for under $50.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=PSP-2000&_sacat=0

Took aproximatelly 5 seconds, already found a few under $50. Besides, you're asking for too much. The average price for a well-kept PSP-200x is $60-$70 - that's not a lot of money considering what it can actually do - it's the most desired model after all.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want GBA and SNES emulation on a nice, big screen, how about getting a machine that already does it perfectly fine, for example the PSP which nowadays sells for next to nothing?

I put my expectations higher - I will only be satisfied with Saturn, Nintendo 64, PSX and (wishful thinking, the 3DS isn't nearly beefy enough to make it playable) the Dreamcast. Give me that and perhaps some good old MAME and I'm sold, running to the nearest store to get a 3DS.
Everyone says it sells for "next to nothing" but I can't find one for under $50.
http://www.ebay.com/...P-2000&_sacat=0

Took aproximatelly 5 seconds, already found a few under $50. Besides, you're asking for too much. The average price for a well-kept PSP-200x is $60-$70 - that's not a lot of money considering what it can actually do - it's the most desired model after all.
Those are all either auctions, or over my price range because of shipping costs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Those are all either auctions, or over my price range because of shipping costs.
There are two in buy Now for $48 and $49 respectively, but one is missing a battery cover and one is missing the silver rim, so you'd have to replace those parts yourself, but they're within price range, so there.

If you can't afford $60 for a handheld, how exactly are you buying games for your existing consoles? As far as I know, this is the average price of two games - not a fortune.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you can't afford $60 for a handheld, how exactly are you buying games for your existing consoles? As far as I know, this is the average price of two games - not a fortune.
Having a price range doesn't automatically equal "that's all I can afford." It's just what you're willing to spend on something. Now I can't speak for Janthran, but personally I'd much rather buy one or two new current-gen games, than spend the same amount on a last gen handheld whose library I don't care for, just so I can emulate old games that I can just as easily emulate (if not better) on my smartphone or laptop. But that's just me.

Reactions: 1 person

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Having a price range doesn't automatically equal "that's all I can afford." It's just what you're willing to spend on something. Now I can't speak for Janthran, but personally I'd much rather buy one or two new current-gen games, than spend the same amount on a last gen handheld whose library I don't care for, just so I can emulate old games that I can just as easily emulate (if not better) on my smartphone or laptop. But that's just me.
Agreed. Or you know, just wait for the 3DS to be hacked or buy a DSTWO.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No duh. :P But at least for me personally, the GBA and SNES emulation even on the DSTwo is abysmal (I'm looking to replace it with a an EZ Flash VI), and while the 3DS being hacked would be great, it doesn't provide a solution in the present time. Heck, we don't even know if it will be hacked at all or when.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This thread is about "trying to get homebrew to work on the 3DS", and for many users that means emulators. If any of you expect a hardware solution to cost anywhere under $100 once one is made, I suggest re-thinking that because that's daydreaming. If you expect a Homebrew Channel anytime in the near future on the 3DS, you can also forget about it because we won't see one in at least a year or two.

How do you know the PSP has a library you don't care for if you don't have a PSP? Have you browsed through its library and checked each and every game? I don't think so.

The point of the PSP suggestion was to highlight it as an affordable gaming console with full homebrew support, but additionally I can say that it also has plenty of amazing games and it's money well-spent. You get a great handheld console, access to a myriad of titles you never played before, great emulation capabilities and homebrew capabilities surpassing anything you've seen in DS-Mode - what's more to ask for?

I can understand how someone might see a $60 purchase as wasted money when the console is basically pronounced as obsolete and it won't see too many releases now, but look at the bright side - you have an established library of titles and the forementioned homebrew capability - I say it's a fair price.

You say you could emulate all those great consoles on a laptop or a smartphone - fair play, you can. Do you also have a gamepad on your smartphone that's actually comfortable? Unless you have an Xperia Play, de facto a Sony product, you don't. Can you put that laptop in your pocket? Does it weigh next to nothing? I don't think so.

Handheld consoles have two advantages over the hardware you mention - they're handheld, thus really portable, and they're consoles, thus their input is made for gaming. Surely you get my point.

All in all, you won't get better gaming capabilities anytime soon for this price, so you really have no reason to be fussy about it. ;)

Please, don't use DSTWO and PSP in the same sentence - their capabilities aren't even close to eachother, the PSP eats the DS for breakfast, even with a DSTWO card.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This thread is about "trying to get homebrew to work on the 3DS", and for many users that means emulators. If any of you expect a hardware solution to cost anywhere under $100 once one is made, I suggest re-thinking that because that's daydreaming. If you expect a Homebrew Channel anytime in the near future on the 3DS, you can also forget about it because we won't see one in at least a year or two. How do you know the PSP has a library you don't care for if you don't have a PSP? Have you browsed through its library and checked each and every game? I don't think so. The point of the PSP suggestion was to highlight it as an affordable gaming console with full homebrew support, but additionally I can say that it also has plenty of amazing games and it's money well-spent. You get a great handheld console, access to a myriad of titles you never played before, great emulation capabilities and homebrew capabilities surpassing anything you've seen in DS-Mode - what's more to ask for? I can understand how someone might see a $60 purchase as wasted money when the console is basically pronounced as obsolete and it won't see too many releases now, but look at the bright side - you have an established library of titles and the forementioned homebrew capability - I say it's a fair price. You say you could emulate all those great consoles on a laptop or a smartphone - fair play, you can. Do you also have a gamepad on your smartphone that's actually comfortable? Unless you have an Xperia Play, de facto a Sony product, you don't. Can you put that laptop in your pocket? Does it weigh next to nothing? I don't think so. Handheld consoles have two advantages over the hardware you mention - they're handheld, thus really portable, and they're consoles, thus their input is made for gaming. Surely you get my point. All in all, you won't get better gaming capabilities anytime soon for this price, so you really have no reason to be fussy about it. ;)
Again, it comes down to what one is willing to spend money on: Assuming that a hardware solution would allow region unlocking and proper emulation for SNES and GBA without hindering the rest of the 3DS's capabilities, I would consider it. But no, I wouldn't want to spend $60 on yet ANOTHER extra device to carry around to play homebrew emulators that I can already do just as easily on my smartphone (and I have an iControlPad for it, so having physical controls isn't an issue). As for my laptop... well, being a college student, my backpack goes with me almost literally everywhere, so that's not an issue either. The one thing I would REALLY like a PSP for though is playing PS1 games with (at least from what I hear) near perfect emulation.

As for the library, it's not that I think the library sucks, it's just that from what I've read (I'm one of those nerds who reads game lists on wikipedia, among other stuff), there's not enough games I'm interested in trying to be worth the buy, in my opinion. I'm not saying it doesn't have good games, I just don't care to try a bunch of game franchises I've never heard of when I already have a ton of games on my plate. It's the same reason I have no interest in the PS3: I already can play most of the games available for PS3 and then some on my 360 and Wii, and while I can't say the PS3 exclusives are bad games (as I've never played them), I'm not interested in buying a console just to try them.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm just not interested enough in what the PSP has to offer to be willing to spend $60, especially when my personal spending money is so limited. One day when I have an extra $60 and nothing else I want more to spend it on, then sure, why not. But definitely not now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='xwatchmanx']

Hehe, I understand what you mean - it's not like I'm ordering you to run out of your house immediately and get a PSP, all I'm saying is that it has a lot to offer and many people think it doesn't.

The PSP suffers not because it "sold badly" - it sold quite well, actually. It suffers from the amazing DS sales, which soar up to twice as much as the PSP's. There are quite a lot of games that deserve a look on it, even some that were on the DS, but in a simplified form, such as Disgaea - they deserve a playthrough.

It'd be silly to start writing a page-long list of games now, but I will say that Metal Gear Solid, Monster Hunter, Disgaea, Patapon, God of War, WipeOut, Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto and Megaman alone are franchises that found their home on the PSP and entirely validate its purchase, and that's really just the tip of the iceberg - think of the rest and all those PSX titles that you can play as well!

Surely having to carry extra hardware is not exactly the most comfortable way of solving the issue, but it's certainly better than having to suffer with abyssmal capabilities, and the DS-Mode most of us use on our DS'es, DSi's and 3DS'es certainly does offer sub-par performance.

This is really just a suggestion coming from a console collector - getting one is not a decision anyone would regret and it's highly recommended as a "side arm" to the contemporary handhelds until either of them is properly hacked. You never know - maybe one day you'll stumble upon a crazy deal that'll be hard to resist?

Until then, try out a few games on an emulator - they're not perfect, but they work on most PC's nowadays and they'll give you a glimpse of what the console has to offer. ;)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Stuff my PSP can do that my DSi can't, even with the DSTwo...

1 - Emulate the majority of SNES games out there (Star Fox, too). Most run at fullspeed without any tweaks.
2 - Emulate all the Genesis games the DS can't, such as Sonic 3 + Knuckles without anything ripped. Again, fullspeed. Hell, even the Sonic 3D Blast intro movie works fine.
3 - Play Sega CD games.
4 - Emulate the majority of GBA games out there at fullspeed.
5 - Play almost the entire library of PSX titles.
6 - I don't even know what else to list, there's emulators for systems I never even touched.

And then for the systems that the DS also supports via emulation, the PSP's emulators are generally more well-developed. Extra screen scaling options, cheat support, save state, screenshots, ROM thumbnails, etc. Did I mention that none of the emulated titles need to be cropped or downsized to fit on the screen, since the PSP's resolution is that much higher than the DS? So you can even remove some of the fancy filtering options in order to downclock the PSP to make the battery last longer, if needed. Can't do that shit on a DSi/3DS with a DSTwo. :P

When I got my PSP and started playing with the emulators, I deleted most emulation-related things from the DS because the PSP is just that much better at it.

And don't forget all the stuff the PSP can do ontop of that, such as the way-better video and audio support (partially native, too), the web browser that actually supports flash 7, the ability to connect to WPA networks, the ability to use the PSP itself as it's own memory card reader so you don't need to risk wear and tear on your memory card to transfer shit back and forth, video-out to the TV on some models... hell, there's a port of Moonshell for the PSP in-development to explore the capabilities compared to the DS.

However, the PSP cannot play the ass-huge native library of the DS (and while Foxi mentioned plenty of good PSP titles, there's tons of DS-exclusives), so I keep my DS around and it gets quite a bit of use as well, and the DSTwo is very useful for things like save-states and in-game toggling of cheats.

PSP > DS for emulation.
DS > PSP for native gaming.

Reactions: 3 people

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Just curious, is neimod Dr. Neo on the Neoflash forums? I wonder this not because of the name similarity, but because www.neimod.com (used to) redirect there.
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?topic=172.0

Kind of an interesting coincidence if he is the one sponsoring homebrew contests and such. :P

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I thought this thread was about neimod's progress and discoveries, not about which device is better for doing this and that.
One of his discoveries was that the 3DS does indeed have XN capabilities and they are turned on, which is a killer for softmods... and seeing as a main reason people want the 3DS is emulation, discussion of alternatives that currently exist came up.

>Learn that PSP can play PS1 games
I will be searching Craigslist.
Missed this post the first time...

Yeah the PSP has native support for PS1 games, but not in the ISO format. Sony has released lots of PS1 games on the store officially and you can pirate those copies, but the games not available there need to be run through homebrew converters first and that doesn't have perfect compatibility, you may need to do various tweaks to get some PS1 games working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.