Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hopefully its ok to make a separate thread for a release:
all information and questions are answered here:

https://www.mdfbrew.org/projects:generationslauncher

please do not pm me for support. ask questions here in the thread and i can try to help as time allows it, but i would like to the community to help itself as much as possible on this one.

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@WD_Gaster all working great thank you very much love it went smooth
main screen.png
games.png
test screen.png
flashback.png

Excalibur007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your work on this. I hope to have time to check this out this weekend. In the meantime, I have some questions that I hope you’ll have time to answer.

- I read that it’s an alternate launcher. Does that mean it’s just replacing the interface, or is the emulator replaced with one that does better emulation?

- If the emulator is replaced, what version, and does it support FM sound for the Master System?

- The wiki says you can also launch games from the old launcher. Am I correct in understanding that the old launcher is required for playing your cartridges AND using wired controllers? And, that cartridges, once dumped for play, are not retained after powered off?

- If using the old launcher, are you still able to load games with a new/better emulator?

- It looks like boxarts aren’t supported in the new launcher, is that correct?

Last edited by Excalibur007,

WD_Gaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thx. The dropfile links arent working by now, could you pls check that?
Links have been fixed. sorry about the mixup

Thank you for your work on this. I hope to have time to check this out this weekend. In the meantime, I have some questions that I hope you’ll have time to answer.

- I read that it’s an alternate launcher. Does that mean it’s just replacing the interface, or is the emulator replaced with one that does better emulation?

- If the emulator is replaced, what version, and does it support FM sound for the Master System?

- The wiki says you can also launch games from the old launcher. Am I correct in understanding that the old launcher is required for playing your cartridges AND using wired controllers? And, that cartridges, once dumped for play, are not retained after powered off?

- If using the old launcher, are you still able to load games with a new/better emulator?

- It looks like boxarts aren’t supported in the new launcher, is that correct?

-It replaces the interface. the dash is coded to launch whatever the default emulator has been set. if you choose to use your own and set it as default, it will launch that one with your games. The app/dash is a launcher with the ability to launch homebrew as well. i added the ability to add roms so people dont have to spend endless amount of times editing ini's and adding pictures. this is simply as drag and drop.

-Yes, that is correct. the original launcher is needed for what you request at this time. There are various tedious technical reasons for most of these problems. if i have a solution to it in the future to issues like the controller issue i will added to my dash.

-as for artwork boxes, not supported at this time. my dash is focused more on being a homebrew launcher as well as having the side benefit of launching your own games with simplicity.

Last edited by WD_Gaster,
Reactions: asper

YONKE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just installed and working great with full Genesis library , very easy to do. Still waiting for a better emulator (gunstar heroes run at slow pace with the main emulator) but your launcher its a great alternative.

A question , if i want to install a different app to run it with your launcher (want to try random android game) how i can do that ?

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed and working great with full Genesis library , very easy to do. Still waiting for a better emulator (gunstar heroes run at slow pace with the main emulator) but your launcher its a great alternative.

A question , if i want to install a different app to run it with your launcher (want to try random android game) how i can do that ?

adb shell install -s filename.apk

You have to have enough free space on console sdcard (at least double the size of the apk you want to install).

Then you will find the game in the launcher specific menu; unfortunately, if the game launches, it will probably be difficult/impossible to control with the console joypad if the author of the game will not support it; an usb mouse connected to the internal mini usb port can be useful for that.

Reactions: WD_Gaster

WD_Gaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
adb shell install -s filename.apk

You have to have enough free space on console sdcard (at least double the size of the apk you want to install).

Then you will find the game in the launcher specific menu; unfortunately, if the game launches, it will probably be difficult/impossible to control with the console joypad if the author of the game will not support it; an usb mouse connected to the internal mini usb port can be useful for that.
prett much what Asper said. lol

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got bored and installed this on my Genesis Flashback HD, even though I probably shouldn't have. Seems to work okay, but with a few caveats: I'm not crazy about the Sega girls in the background, and I can't pick the emulator I want to use when I select a game. Two options appear: the default emulator and MD.emu, which I had installed on the machine the day before. You're supposed to be able to choose one of them, but the "just once" and "always" options are grayed out, and it's impossible to start the game... you're just stuck there until you reset. However, I can start games from the App Drawer on the bottom left of the screen.

Any suggestions?

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having trouble with the key layout tutorial on your site...

https://www.mdfbrew.org/tutorials:keys_layout

Creating a new KL file (Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl) with new button assignments and saving it in the folder suggested (/system/usr/keylayout) doesn't work; the buttons are still recognized as the system defaults. Rewind still works as rewind and not ENTER as I wanted, in either the Sega Generations interface or the default GUI. If you have any suggestions please let me know; otherwise I may make a backup copy of gpio-ctrl-keypad.kl on my computer and reassign its keys.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly the current dash is now heavily outdated. lots of stuff was accomplished just not heavily discussed (atleast on my end). i have not been as much gone as i have been busy. i also lost access to my old account by forgetting the password and getting locked out of the email i used to register it. :(. So if anybody messaged me last couple of months and got no response... that would be the reason why.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a bit of advice... once you install Sega Generations on your Flashback, you might want to install the Total Commander app, then go into the command line and enter this:

adb shell settings put global install_non_market_apps 1

There's no way to accept apps from unknown sources on the system itself; the settings are either hidden or entirely absent. I got rather tired of taking apart my Flashback every time I wanted to install apps, because I couldn't connect it to my PC with the standard sized USB port I added. Only a mini USB to USB cable seems to do the job. Now that my Flashback accepts unknown sources and has a file manager, I can install apps straight from the system with a flash drive... it's much more convenient.

Reactions: DarthDub

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yep this has been known.The new dash requires the usb mod by the way.:P I also suggested commander many many months ago in the other thread early on.
yep done all that I was THX1138 on here spoken with you before on here as well in PM when you could get into your old account

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16