Sega Megadrive (Genesis) Flashback Mini HD with an USB on internal mother board

MaxiBus

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey guys. I'm hoping for some help. I'm not nearly as technically capable as you guys on this message board. I have the sega genesis flashback. I'm just looking to add approximately 10 games at most to my system. Is there a simple step by step tutorial that can be made available for me? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
You are OK with this? https://www.mdfbrew.org/tutorials:addgamestostock

JackMonty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys. I'm hoping for some help. I'm not nearly as technically capable as you guys on this message board. I have the sega genesis flashback. I'm just looking to add approximately 10 games at most to my system. Is there a simple step by step tutorial that can be made available for me? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

A friend of mine is doing a write up of a basic mod which retains the menu and emulator but lets you add more games:

http://www.gniteproductions.com/projects/Flashback.html

It is a work in progress and should be done by the weekend - it meant to cover issues you can get, game compatibility and more -it looks like it about halfway done so might be best to stick with the guide posted by Steckbecken until this ones gets developed a bit more but at least now you have an alternative too.https://gbatemp.net/members/steckbecken.440044/

MaxiBus

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thanks! Do you know if there is a limit to the amount of games on first upload?

That depends on how much free space is left your the device. Someone said, that its recommended to fill the partition at max. 2/3 of its size.

To determine the partition size, connect the Flashback to your PC and run the command "adb shell df". You will see a row like

"/mnt/internal_sd 2.8G 27.2M 2.8G 8192"

That means, the partition has a size of 2.8GB, so you could load it with appr. 2 GB of roms. But you will need days to sort the covers and extend your "all-games.ini" ;)

EDIT: Just checked the average size of a rom, lets say its 1MB, so you are able to load 2.000+ roms... good luck with adding this to your .ini file

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A friend of mine is doing a write up of a basic mod which retains the menu and emulator but lets you add more games:

http://www.gniteproductions.com/projects/Flashback.html

It is a work in progress and should be done by the weekend - it meant to cover issues you can get, game compatibility and more -it looks like it about halfway done so might be best to stick with the guide posted by Steckbecken until this ones gets developed a bit more but at least now you have an alternative too.

Cool! Maybe he wants to collaborate on the wiki?

Last edited by MaxiBus,

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
You will not be able to add so many games with the original Dashboard/Menu/Frontend what ever you wanna call it. There seems to be the same problem as the NES/SNES MINI haves, there is a Cache Folder.. Once its full the menu crashes and restarts and you wil never reach the end of youre games list. So even if you change the emulator in the main menu you will stock on this problem. This is the reason why i stopped to work with the original menu.

You can check my Older posts, i already had some tricks to add a game fullset.

Regards

Last edited by Hekel,
Reactions: fixingmytoys

WD_Gaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You will not be able to add so many games with the original Dashboard/Menu/Frontend what ever you wanna call it. There seems to be the same problem as the NES/SNES MINI haves, there is a Cache Folder.. Once its full the menu crashes and restarts and you wil never reach the end of youre games list. So even if you change the emulator in the main menu you will stock on this problem. This is the reason why i stopped to work with the original menu.

You can check my Older posts, i already had some tricks to add a game fullset.

Regards
my dashboard also supports long lists as well and no ini editing required :)

Reactions: YONKE and Hekel

WD_Gaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
also new homebrew app that i will be releasing soon :)

https://www.mdfbrew.org/projects:generationsmediaplayer

the background art is just a placeholder. if any one wants to donate a wallpaper for this app it would be appreciated :)

6itd35.png

Last edited by WD_Gaster,
Reactions: DarthDub

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
I know it was quiet for some time. The reason why is i had to reinstall my computer. I wanted to avoid any data loose again. But this weekend i can work again :-D. By the way cool app. Could be nice to add some mega drive soundtracks :-)

WD_Gaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know it was quiet for some time. The reason why is i had to reinstall my computer. I wanted to avoid any data loose again. But this weekend i can work again :-D. By the way cool app. Could be nice to add some mega drive soundtracks :-)
video playback is next (hopefully there is enough horsepower to do so)
also i am going to be migrating all of my stuff to fully support usb storage(still debating wether to keep making alternative builds that loads content from the sd card partition). its much easier when you have tons of gigabytes and a plug and play interface to just drop your stuff on.

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
video playback is next (hopefully there is enough horsepower to do so)
also i am going to be migrating all of my stuff to fully support usb storage(still debating wether to keep making alternative builds that loads content from the sd card partition). its much easier when you have tons of gigabytes and a plug and play interface to just drop your stuff on.
Basicly i like youre homebrew idea, myself just would never use it xD.. i like to keep this machine what its supposed to be.. a mega drive/genesis. I use my nvidia shield tv for multimedia :-D

Reactions: mercenary96

WD_Gaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Basicly i like youre homebrew idea, myself just would never use it xD.. i like to keep this machine what its supposed to be.. a mega drive/genesis. I use my nvidia shield tv for multimedia :-D
i am mostly doing this coding for learning. I can easily use a pc and say the same, but in this case i am learning android and doing something neat with an under appreciated toy. :P.
Also notice that i am making these as separate apps from my launcher. people dont have to use them.

Reactions: Hekel

MaxiBus

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
...(still debating wether to keep making alternative builds that loads content from the sd card partition)...

Do you have a clue how to use kernel modules with the installed kernel? I am stuck since days with it, i want to use either nfs or cifs to mount shares on the Flashback Device.
As far as i found out the kernel supports loading modules, so i do not have to change the whole kernel. Building the nfs/cifs modules should be enough.
But thats far beyond my android "knowledge".

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
Hi sorry for the silly question I have just done the USB mod when I pop my otg USB cable on she turns on, the USB light turns on so it is getting power but no USB games show up I have games in the root folder/Games/Genesis of my USB stick, if I have the flashback plugged in the laptop USB port the flashback turns on but dose not show on my laptop , if I just have the USB cable no otg it pops up on my laptop , if I running it of the power supply in the lounge room no games show on USB, umm what am I missing please

Last edited by fixingmytoys,

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 111564 View attachment 111563 Hi sorry for the silly question I have just done the USB mod when I pop my otg USB cable on she turns on, the USB light turns on so it is getting power but no USB games show up I have games in the root folder/Games/Genesis of my USB stick, if I have the flashback plugged in the laptop USB port the flashback turns on but dose not show on my laptop , if I just have the USB cable no otg it pops up on my laptop , if I running it of the power supply in the lounge room no games show on USB, umm what am I missing please
There are 2 different cables: one is for OTG support and the other one is for connecting the console to a PC: I had the same problem and I would like to investigate the exact needed pinout but I have more important things right now :)

Reactions: Hekel

WD_Gaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
View attachment 111564 View attachment 111563 Hi sorry for the silly question I have just done the USB mod when I pop my otg USB cable on she turns on, the USB light turns on so it is getting power but no USB games show up I have games in the root folder/Games/Genesis of my USB stick, if I have the flashback plugged in the laptop USB port the flashback turns on but dose not show on my laptop , if I just have the USB cable no otg it pops up on my laptop , if I running it of the power supply in the lounge room no games show on USB, umm what am I missing please

use one of these:

USBMUSBFM1.Main.jpg

and connect the usb flashback directly to it on one end and a usb stick directly to the other end. make sure it is fat32. your roms sound like they are in the right location. Click on the USB icon on my launcher and go from there. remember the current build only supports launching .bin from usb. i will do some upgrades this weekend.

can guarantee this works for me.

Last edited by WD_Gaster,

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very awesome progress on the Flashback! I'm very tempted to pick up one of these overpriced pieces of crap now. Might not be half bad with this breakthrough, HDMI, and if I can manage to dig up my old official six button controllers.

WD_Gaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very awesome progress on the Flashback! I'm very tempted to pick up one of these overpriced pieces of crap now. Might not be half bad with this breakthrough, HDMI, and if I can manage to dig up my old official six button controllers.
I can tell you that wired controllers are not supported at this time by the homebrew, wether it be mine or Hekel's there is some technical issues surrounding this.

Reactions: Glyptofane

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.