Share a tech tip with the person before you.

Basic idea. Share a little tech tip with the person before you, preferably something not completely obscure and more general or related to what we do around here. Even if it is somewhat obvious to you it might not be to others, many of us around here are self taught which can lead to some interesting gaps.

Notepad++ (the code it comes from is also used in Geany in linux and co). Arguably the premier open source windows text editor replacement (it is available as an option on https://ninite.com/ ).
The tip
Column select.
Hold alt and click and drag.
When combined with fixed width text it is so useful for a lot of things, especially ones where you have to do repeated actions, basic database ish work (trim columns from data, add things in the middle) and can not be bothered to fiddle with regular expressions.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Disable most of the Visual Effects in System>Advanced Settings>Advanced>Performance>Settings to increase the speed of opening folders and files on Windows.

0ed787b186.jpg

Reactions: nxwing

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Ctrl+H for a quick trip to your history to delete those traces of Zelda Nodes migles :creep:
zelda noodes are so goode, there is no shame into having them..

this is a cool shortcut on both windows 7 and linux ubuntu (not sure about others
press winkey+number to quick open pinned items on the taskbar
for example winkey+1 opens explorer for me, 2 media player, 3 firefox etc...

Disable most of the Visual Effects in System>Advanced Settings>Advanced>Performance>Settings to increase the speed of opening folders and files on Windows.

snip

but i like aero and effects :'(

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
zelda noodes are so goode, there is no shame into having them..

this is a cool shortcut on both windows 7 and linux ubuntu (not sure about others
press winkey+number to quick open pinned items on the taskbar
for example winkey+1 opens explorer for me, 2 media player, 3 firefox etc...

but i like aero and effects :'(

I like a more responsive system than the effects :)

Reactions: nxwing

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Let's talk broswers shall we?

If using a High-end PC/Laptop, use Chrome
If using a Medium-end PC/Laptop, use Firefox
If using a Low-end PC/Laptop, use latest version of IE or Midori

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I like a more responsive system than the effects :)
well, i don't know if my computer is special, but every time i disable effects and put windows 9x theme, it looks slower and windows movement is not smooth which is bad for my eyes...

Let's talk broswers shall we?

If using a High-end PC/Laptop, use Chrome
If using a Medium-end PC/Laptop, use Firefox
If using a Low-end PC/Laptop, use latest version of IE or Midori

browser depends more on user preference.. no matter slow or high end, firefox for me..

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If using uTorrent (or microTorrent, whatever you call it)
Choose a torrent that you want to finish and right click and set priority to high. Set the others to low for profit!

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
well, i don't know if my computer is special, but every time i disable effects and put windows 9x theme, it looks slower and windows movement is not smooth which is bad for my eyes...

browser depends more on user preference.. no matter slow or high end, firefox for me..

Works fine here
ad76b0ac8c.jpg
Don't disable all of them, just some of them and find the balance btw the looks and speed. (btw i'm on Windows 8)

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I can say on my 8 yo laptop with extremely dated specs that chrome is way faster than ie
Yes, but I'm talking about the CPU usage. If one has many Chrome extensions, it will greatly decrease lerformance if using an old device since Chrome extensions act and boot up as services at start up

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
If using uTorrent (or microTorrent, whatever you call it)
Choose a torrent that you want to finish and right click and set priority to high. Set the others to low for profit!

speaking of torrents i got one tip that it worked for me and my friends and every pc i tried.
limit your upload speed to 80% or 70% of your total upload speed. this way your bandwith doesn't get all sucked for upload, and your client can propertly communicate with other peers, besides you can also use internet...

i tested this and works for me...

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you get on a pesky webpage thats telling you you have malware and your browser is locked and call a phone number, hit ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager. end the process of your browser that takes the least amount of memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea